Smoke and Mirrors

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Do we really know if it was Nonis making the push to sign Bolland for that kind of money? (reportedly 4.75M)

All we were hearing was how much Shanny wanted him back.

Clearly Leafs management had a final number in mind and the Florida offer (and term) exceeded it...Do we know the number of years offered by the Leafs to Bolland?

I don't know if it was Nonis, I guess I should have said "whoever is in charge".

I heard it was 5 years for 24.5M so 4.9M per year. Can't remember the source, I though it was on this boards somewhere but I could be mistaken.

So Nonis, Shanahan, I don't know who's responsible. Perhaps they're purposely making it unclear who runs things so we don't know who to blame. Half joking ...

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Leaf subscriber since 1974, have watched a lot of hockey. I have never seen Polak play and to be honest had never heard of him prior to the trade. Appreciate your view but I think I will go with the Leaf pro scouts plus Nonis plus Shanny over yours.

You'd trust the talent assessment of the management group that brought us David Clarkson?

Number13

May 21, 2007
hahaha, what a joke you are.

You are willing to just give picks away and they seemingly have no value to you?

Perhaps you should go read a book about the value of assets.

I will assume you are in your moms basement and haven't taken business economics in UNI yet?

Hahahaha, just laughable some of you.

Have you noticed you're the laughable one yet?

Resigning a guy at any cost just because you traded for him is extremely short sighted. Really glad our management doesn't think like you do.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Leafs are gonna be awesome this year. Our team is amazing now compared to most of the teams in the East.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We are by far the most ****ed over fanbase in the league - it wouldn't surprise me if it's all BS yet again, but at least we've seemed to have picked up some harder working vets who should be more fun to watch.

Can't wait till Komarov pisses everyone off. :D

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I also think that we got incredible value from Frattin, Kontiola, and Santa. Having these guys for such a cheap price gives us a chance to be a very deep team offensively.

I also think that Clarkson will be put with some new line mates and we will start to get some value out of him as well.

It's going to look like a completely different team next year (except our top line is probably staying the same but they were great last year so it's good that nothing there changed).

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
To the people who wish we had gone out and signed a bunch of big name free agents, I ask that you consider a few things:

1. How can you be certain that the management didn't try to sign the player you wanted, but that player wasn't interested in coming to Toronto?

2. Many of these contracts already look bad, in a year or two they will look even worse, and will perhaps the player will be bought out.

3. Some posters want the team to develop our own young players, but then complain when we don't draft veterans. There are only so many roster spots available. Time to give some young players a chance to earn those positions.

Believe me, I'm not a big fan of our current management. Questionable decisions have been made over the past few years. But we will see where Shanahan takes this team. I don't see Carlyle or Nonis being around past this season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I've been pleased for the most part with the offseason so far. Granted, Bolland's greed saved us from Nonis making another Clarkson-like poor decision. But the team's bottom six seems to be improved though the changes with the defence i'm still not sure about, will keep an open mind.

The biggest factor that will determine whether the team will have success this season is Carlyle. If he keeps the same systems/strategies that he had last year, things will get ugly quickly. We can't keep giving up so many shots a game. If he's learned the error of his ways, or is forced to via the inclusion of new assistants, or from direct orders from Shanahan/Nonis then we will see.

I'd still like both Nonis and Carlyle fired, but i'm willing to keep an open mind, at least until the first few games of the season.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
I don't see anything wrong with this season's approach. They've improved the bottom 6 of the group without over committing on term. Hopefully what we see is guys like Santorelli, Bodie etc are pushed out by the McKeggs, Carricks, Brolls of our developing crop. Same with the D. Two years of Polak may be enough to buy time for Granberg to work himself in. Or any other number of prospect ready to push their way into the lineup. We were never going to solve the teams problems in free agency, but they have done a good job of plugging up some holes, and taking jobs away from the like of Orr and FML. All in all, I don't see a smoke screen. I see short term fixes with long term implications in mind.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with this season's approach. They've improved the bottom 6 of the group without over committing on term. Hopefully what we see is guys like Santorelli, Bodie etc are pushed out by the McKeggs, Carricks, Brolls of our developing crop. Same with the D. Two years of Polak may be enough to buy time for Granberg to work himself in. Or any other number of prospect ready to push their way into the lineup. We were never going to solve the teams problems in free agency, but they have done a good job of plugging up some holes, and taking jobs away from the like of Orr and FML. All in all, I don't see a smoke screen. I see short term fixes with long term implications in mind.

wow. here's the list you just provided:

Santorelli
Bodie
McKegg
Carrick
Brolls
Polak
Granberg

..that's a future Stanley Cup roster right there. And who in the blue hell are any single one of them by the way?

Leafland, lol. Gotta love the way these companies operate our hockey team .. a list of players that have never been heard of

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
What type of players do you expect on the 4th line? Cheap, capable, homegrown talent is usually the best way to go. And if they're not homegrown, cheap is usually best. I'm certainly glad we didn't pay Bolland 5.5 million to be a 3rd line center.

Keep building thru the draft. That's really the best way forward.

Number13

May 21, 2007

Santorelli
Bodie
McKegg
Carrick
Brolls
Polak
Granberg

..that's a future Stanley Cup roster right there. And who in the blue hell are any single one of them by the way?

Leafland, lol. Gotta love the way these companies operate our hockey team .. a list of players that have never been heard of

Watching hockey will go along way as far as knowing who those players are

Leafland, lol. Gotta love those fans who complain but have no idea what they're talking about.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Santorelli
Bodie
McKegg
Carrick
Brolls
Polak
Granberg

Do you even watch hockey at all? Doesn't seem like it.

Tyler Biggs*

I am thrilled to see Komarov back. I don't care what it cost. Look at the difference in physicality from 2 yrs ago when Komo would hit everything and play inspiring hockey, to last season when Komarov left. You need a guy like that to lift up the team.

Tyler Biggs*

Two things I picked up yesterday on TSN and that was they reported that Shanahan does NOT believe in rebuilding through free agency.

So despite the myriad of moves they have all been small/minor in nature and short-term stop gap measures only. So these were not made to propel the team ahead, but to more stabilize it at present, and make it a little harder to play against with added depth support, trying to bring back some of the components that made them successful in the lockout year.

Nonis was also quoted as saying "he has work to do yet this summer", implying that he is working on trades to reshape the team for next season. The first wave of UFA signings are over and now teams are re-evaluating their positions.

So there isn't any smoke and mirrors here where management is selling this as complete nor competitive based on transactions to date.

Interesting. Free Agent Frenzy is a bad time to build a team. Contracts are crazy. These 2 signings (Santorelli, Kontiola) for reasonable prices should leave the Leafs in a good posture salary cap wise to make trades now.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I am thrilled to see Komarov back. I don't care what it cost. Look at the difference in physicality from 2 yrs ago when Komo would hit everything and play inspiring hockey, to last season when Komarov left. You need a guy like that to lift up the team.

Wish he was on the team in the 3rd period of the Boston game....

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
not overly optimistic or pessimistic . we lost some good roll players in bolland, and a very misused kulemin but gained back some good roll players and more of them. the defense looks much better now and a hell of a lot more stable. last few yrs it's looked like a bunch of individuals and not as a unit. now there will always be guys on their proper sides. i like the veteran presence guys like robidas will provide. these collapses stem from a young weak psyche and desperately need some leadership and calmness .i think last year nonis really under estimated all the character and grit that left the team from the year before and thought clarkson would make up for it all. getting back frattim and komorov are proof he realized his mistakes and adding the other recent roll players looks good.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The core of this team is terribad. Still hoping we deal phaneuf/kessel and draft and franchise center next draft.... But derp derp derp we need playoffs!!!

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

sure and will he play the same now that he has a nice shiny new contract and a full 82 game grind of a season to play.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
not overly optimistic or pessimistic . we lost some good roll players in bolland, and a very misused kulemin but gained back some good roll players and more of them. the defense looks much better now and a hell of a lot more stable. last few yrs it's looked like a bunch of individuals and not as a unit. now there will always be guys on their proper sides. i like the veteran presence guys like robidas will provide. these collapses stem from a young weak psyche and desperately need some leadership and calmness .i think last year nonis really under estimated all the character and grit that left the team from the year before and thought clarkson would make up for it all. getting back frattim and komorov are proof he realized his mistakes and adding the other recent roll players looks good.

Well for those asking if were better, the season will tell. I think our D has gotten a little better but that to we shall see. As for our forwards:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel (score 80 give up 80) the same line intact.
Raymond-Kadri-Lupul now becomes:
Lupul-Kadri-Santorelli (If Santa doesn't have a solid 2-way game could be rough) (Lupul injury factor always present)
Kulemin-Bolland-Clarkson becomes:
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson (this line must play solid D because I don't see much scoring)
McLaren-McClement-Orr becomes:
Ashton-Holland-Frattin (this line has to better)

So overall it's a recycle but nothing other teams should fear. If this collection can't lower our GA we are probably back in 8th-12th spot next year.
Maybe I see a harder working (or smarter team) but still not a playoff core.
The worst thing we can do is finish 10th.

TheThrill81*

I've been pleased for the most part with the offseason so far. Granted, Bolland's greed saved us from Nonis making another Clarkson-like poor decision. But the team's bottom six seems to be improved though the changes with the defence i'm still not sure about, will keep an open mind.

The biggest factor that will determine whether the team will have success this season is Carlyle. If he keeps the same systems/strategies that he had last year, things will get ugly quickly. We can't keep giving up so many shots a game. If he's learned the error of his ways, or is forced to via the inclusion of new assistants, or from direct orders from Shanahan/Nonis then we will see.

I'd still like both Nonis and Carlyle fired, but i'm willing to keep an open mind, at least until the first few games of the season.

That's not keeping an open mind.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Have you noticed you're the laughable one yet?

Resigning a guy at any cost just because you traded for him is extremely short sighted. Really glad our management doesn't think like you do.

What's laughable here is the number of people praising Nonis for letting Bolland go, when they should be slamming Nonis for bringing him in in the first place.

Nonis shrugging his shoulders and saying "Well, what are you gonna do? We can't match Florida," is a complete abdication of his responsibility here. He made the ****ing trade. He had to have known that there was a huge possibility of Bolland demanding big bucks in 2014, as pretty much EVERYONE here was saying that the day that the deal went down. That trade was stupid and short-sighted. Either Nonis made that trade to get Bolland for one year, thinking he would put the Leafs over the top. Or Nonis thought he'd re-sign Bolland for some kind of home discount. Either way--dumb, dumb, dumb.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

This whole notion is damn near insane. Seriously. Why the **** are people here thinking that adding some third and fourth liners and an ancient 4-6 defenseman is going to make Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Lupul, Kadri, etc. suddenly be more competitive, defensively responsible, and so on?

How on earth is Leo Komarov going to go into that room and take over? He'll have zero credibility. The notion that this third-line pest is going to strut in and start leading a long-time, highly paid NHL captain like Phaneuf and one of the top scorers in the game is just lunacy. Komarov has zero credibility in that room. Zero.

And why on earth should Phaneuf, Kessel, etc. need a bunch of plugs and an old guy to come in and inspire them? I like the notion of bringing in a better supporting cast, but there is something really, really ****ed up with the very idea that the highly paid top six needs a bunch of $1 million additions to come in and inspire them. This is an admission that our top six isn't good enough.

If Phaneuf really needs Leo Komarov to come in and inspire him, to lift him up, then sorry, I don't want Phaneuf anywhere near this hockey club. Phanuef is supposed to be the leader here, not some guy with 50-ish games of NHL experience just back in from the freaking KHL.

I cannot believe that so many people here are happy with these moves. None of the culprits who have let the Leafs down again and again are being held responsible at all, while Nonis has made scapegoats out of the likes of McClement and Kulemin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad