Injury Report: Smith,Methot and Ceci out for rest of regular season

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ceci is still very young, 23 is quite young for a defenseman.. I know people here like to hate on him. But he logs a TON of minutes and plays on our main shutdown pair as the puck mover. He's doing quite well for us considering those circumstances. Wideman is extremely sheltered compared to him.

I think you are assuming that everyone who "hates" on Ceci thinks we have better guys to replace him on the 2nd pairing, which we don't. So while he may not be some posters' idea of a good #3 dman, he sure as heck is the best option the Sens have, and losing him at this point, with EK and Methot out, is devastating.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I think you are assuming that everyone who "hates" on Ceci thinks we have better guys to replace him on the 2nd pairing, which we don't. So while he may not be some posters' idea of a good #3 dman, he sure as heck is the best option the Sens have, and losing him at this point, with EK and Methot out, is devastating.

While I agree with you that most poster who don't like him are saying that they would prefer him in a role, (bottom pairing) who would suit him well.

There is also some who are saying that Wideman is better and can't do worse than him.

Right now, unless Boucher go Claesson-Phaneuf
Boro - Wideman.

Wideman will have to role of shutting down the best line of the opponent. Let's see what he got. I hope he kinda succeed, i want some win.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
While I agree with you that most poster who don't like him are saying that they would prefer him in a role, (bottom pairing) who would suit him well.

There is also some who are saying that Wideman is better and can't do worse than him.

Right now, unless Boucher go Claesson-Phaneuf
Boro - Wideman.

Wideman will have to role of shutting down the best line of the opponent. Let's see what he got. I hope he kinda succeed, i want some win.

Well, even the people who think Wideman could do better in that role realize you can't throw a guy to the wolves like that after playing limited minutes on the 3rd pairing all season long.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

It was more in reference to those who want Ceci off the team, including the suggestion that we should expose him in the expansion draft. Sure he's not the best #3 dman in the league, but he's come a long way this season. That's all you can ask out of a 23yr old defenseman. He's got the 2nd most TOI on the team, has the most PK TOI on the team (and is 8th league-wide), he regularly matches up against the other team's best players. He gets a much heavier workload than Methot. He's a keeper.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It was more in reference to those who want Ceci off the team, including the suggestion that we should expose him in the expansion draft. Sure he's not the best #3 dman in the league, but he's come a long way this season. That's all you can ask out of a 23yr old defenseman. He's got the 2nd most TOI on the team, has the most PK TOI on the team (and is 8th league-wide), he regularly matches up against the other team's best players. He gets a much heavier workload than Methot. He's a keeper.
Amen :handclap::handclap:People here seem to watch EK and then get upset Ceci isnt him.When in fact he is a very solid young and developing two way defender:handclap:

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
I don't know why they couldn't build a glove to protect a splinted pinkie finger for Methot and get him back out there. I think you could be fairly effective with 4 fingers on the stick, and limited risk to a pinkie finger in a super hard padded case.

With the season on the line I'd risk it - his role isn't stickhandling or shooting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agreed.

The hate was justified the first half of the year when he was legitimately struggling in the role, but Ceci has been good for awhile now. The offense hasn't developed as expected but defensively he's been really solid while playing against the opposition's best.

Yup.

Ceci is being slotted in a role he isn't ready for. Give him easier minutes and he'd excel.

For example, if he had the same deployment as Wideman, I'd expect him to have around 25-30 points, and he'd look very good doing so.

Give him the toughest deployment, this is what you'll get. We need him there, because we have no other guys who could even be considered for a top 6 role. Wideman/Boro/Claesson would get eaten alive playing Ceci's role.

Ceci is a fine #4, who is being deployed as a shutdown #2. Unfortunate, but needed.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't know why they couldn't build a glove to protect a splinted pinkie finger for Methot and get him back out there. I think you could be fairly effective with 4 fingers on the stick, and limited risk to a pinkie finger in a super hard padded case.

With the season on the line I'd risk it - his role isn't stickhandling or shooting.

Come on, seriously?

You don't think an NHL defenseman needs all five working fingers to properly do his job?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

No, you really can't.

It really isn't as simple (or easy) as you're making it out to be. Playing with any injured finger (especially one recently re-attached) is difficult. If he were able to play, he would.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yup.

Ceci is being slotted in a role he isn't ready for. Give him easier minutes and he'd excel.

For example, if he had the same deployment as Wideman, I'd expect him to have around 25-30 points, and he'd look very good doing so.

Give him the toughest deployment, this is what you'll get. We need him there, because we have no other guys who could even be considered for a top 6 role. Wideman/Boro/Claesson would get eaten alive playing Ceci's role.

Ceci is a fine #4, who is being deployed as a shutdown #2. Unfortunate, but needed.
Good post ,i have Ceci peaking as a Phillips style of defender.Which can provide just solid all around play, with a small offensive wrinkle to his game.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Good post ,i have Ceci peaking as a Phillips style of defender.Which can provide just solid all around play, with a small offensive wrinkle to his game.

Ceci is way better than Phillips offensively. Ceci is a real gem. He'll be a great top-pairing quality two-way minute eater. With Karlsson as the top RD, and Ceci as the RD on the 2nd pairing, we're looking pretty good for the next couple seasons.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So Mendes tweeted that Sens asked league if they could bring up Chabot.

Why can't Chabot be called up?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ceci is way better than Phillips offensively. Ceci is a real gem. He'll be a great top-pairing quality two-way minute eater. With Karlsson as the top RD, and Ceci as the RD on the 2nd pairing, we're looking pretty good for the next couple seasons.
He has he tools to be for sure,but Philly had a few decent seasons .And was like Ceci a pretty solid producer in junior.

The problem i feel with Ceci growing his offensive game ,will likely be the same thing that kinda pushed Phillips into a defensive role .In having much more offensively gifted defenders ahead of him

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Awful news, for a team that had such a great season these injuries really came at the worst possible time.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He has he tools to be for sure,but Philly had a few decent seasons .And was like Ceci a pretty solid producer in junior.

The problem i feel with Ceci growing his offensive game ,will likely be the same thing that kinda pushed Phillips into a defensive role .In having much more offensively gifted defenders ahead of him

Ceci was definitely a better producer in Junior, and has already matched Phillips career high, so offensively he is definitely a step up I would hope. Defensively still not there.

And Ceci is still top 90 in D scoring. I'd love to see more, especially after last year, buts that is still top 3, and playing behind Karrlson.

Braun has 13 points playing behind Burns. Coburn has 11 behind Hedman. Trouba has 31 behind Byufglin, Hallmarson has 18 behind Kieth (with Karrlson those are the top 5 D men in scoring).

For the guys having to play behind that kind of superstar, Ceci is right there with them.

Not sure what people expect a number 3/4 D man to be, but he definitely seems to be an above average 3/4 guy at the moment.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

It's very optimistic to think he could become a top pairimg dman, IMO. And i like him.

But let's say Chabot become what he can, Ceci could be a quality partner. Just like Methot is to Karlsson.

He will probably never be the threath of his pairing, but he could be a veru good support. There is value to that, imo.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ceci's lack of production is a result of his role.

When he was used in an easier role under a different system last year he was 26th ES PP/60, 35th in actual ES points. He's never going to be an offensive dynamo who puts up 60+ points, but his offensive potential isn't given a fair crack on Ottawa because of the role he has been thrust in as an ES player this year, and because he is stuck getting minimal PP time due to being on the same team as Erik Karlsson.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So Mendes tweeted that Sens asked league if they could bring up Chabot.

Why can't Chabot be called up?

There are very strict rules for emergency callups. I think realistically, it's virtually impossible unless you're a goalie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are very strict rules for emergency callups. I think realistically, it's virtually impossible unless you're a goalie.

If we had lost one more Dman, or not traded for Kevin, we'd have been able to call him up from what I understand.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Read it was due to having 8 D men on the roster at the trade deadline, meaning we need 4 injuries before we can make a call up like that. We could have if we had 7 on the roster.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Even if you could modify a glove and still be legal to play (NHL has regulations on all equipment), you still have a very real risk of massive infection. Hockey equipment isn't exactly sterile, and having the tip of his finger basically sheared off, it would be easy to rip or tear part of the stitching/binding used during a game. Plus, ripping part of the finger off again (if sometime goes wrong) would likely result in losing the end of that finger.

Read it was due to having 8 D men on the roster at the trade deadline, meaning we need 4 injuries before we can make a call up like that. We could have if we had 7 on the roster.

Still an extremely unlikely scenario. Also isn't really fair to Chabot or his junior team. It would be one thing if it happened early March, but not when the kid and his team are 2(?) rounds into the playoffs already.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Ceci's lack of production is a result of his role.

When he was used in an easier role under a different system last year he was 26th ES PP/60, 35th in actual ES points. He's never going to be an offensive dynamo who puts up 60+ points, but his offensive potential isn't given a fair crack on Ottawa because of the role he has been thrust in as an ES player this year, and because he is stuck getting minimal PP time due to being on the same team as Erik Karlsson.

I fully agree that Ceci's production has taken a hit from his deployment and that he has another level in him offensively but let's not completely absolve him of responsibility either.

This is a team with a dismal PP, particularly the second unit who is practically beginning for a defenseman to step up and be the second option often Karlsson. Ceci has had his chances on the PP and has consistently failed to take advantage by looking hesitant, indecisive and constantly passing the puck (late) after having passed up a good shooting window. Part of that can be attributed to the PP set up but at the end of the day Ceci also has to seize his opportunities, nobody can do it for him.

Now, the sens can help him (and imo the PP) by running a simpler second unit where for instance Burrows and Stalberg would crash the net and the D would just throw it on net but that's another topic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad