Smith (and wilson...)

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I don't think Wilson's stats give a complete picture of his play this year. At times he has looked like he's ready to break out.

Smith was supposed to shine in a shortened season but he's falling flat. His stats do paint an accurate picture of his play. Five shots in five games is not acceptable. Three of those shots were in the first game.

So far the offense as a whole has been "rusty". If Wilson keeps playing the way he has then he should turn the corner and put some points up. If Smith doesn't get his confidence back he will probably find himself in the press box.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Wilson is generating chances, traffic to the net, and finally playing like the big bodied power forward he was drafted to be .... Smith is losing the puck and looks lost most of the time. Smith needs a game in the stands.

FaceOfTheFranchise

Dec 5, 2006
Murfreesboro, TN
I liked Wilson on the first line with Fisher and Erat last night. No doubt the points will come.
Smith might need to get sent down to Milwaukee...he's playing with no confidence and isn't helping the team.
The team as a whole has sucked both offensively and defensively.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I liked Wilson on the first line with Fisher and Erat last night. No doubt the points will come.
Smith might need to get sent down to Milwaukee...he's playing with no confidence and isn't helping the team.
The team as a whole has sucked both offensively and defensively.

Time on the Ad's 1st line would help Smith, but I believe Smith is subject to waivers if sent down. He has been playing poorly, but he would get claimed.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Nope, Smith is on the last year of his ELC this year and should absolutely be sent down immediately IMO.

I'm pretty sure he'd have to clear waivers. Smith is 23 and has played 77 NHL games. If I'm not mistaking a 23 year old is eligible for waivers after playing 60 NHL games.

Broom of the System

Jul 23, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm pretty sure he'd have to clear waivers. Smith is 23 and has played 77 NHL games. If I'm not mistaking a 23 year old is eligible for waivers after playing 60 NHL games.

For some reason I thought he was younger. In any case, he's been downright atrocious. If we can't send him down we need to sit him for a few games.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
honestly, i'm beginning to wonder if having him go from NCAA straight to the NHL was harmful to his development. same goes for wilson, now that i'm thinking about it.

Wilson played in Milwaukee first. Smith could use some time in the AHL right now, but due to waivers that will not happen. His best case right now is to likely sit out for a game or two right next to Coach Allard and get extra practice time every day. He needs to rebuild his confidence and that will not come playing top-6 minutes. Smith needs to start with a clearly defined role and a set of reasonable expectations. Simplify his game. Make sure he's playing with purpose and praise him whenever he meets expectations and correct him when he errs.

Unfortunately, this is a delicate situation. We know he has offensive potential. However, it is necessary for him to turn that potential into performance...

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
I think we can use Smith as trade bait. You say he is doing bad and what will we get for a player that's not working for us. His potential is his trade value. You would think that if Smith could put it all together he can be a good scorer. Ellis and Smith came up together. Ellis is a defenseman and Smith a forward but you can see that Ellis has made strides and found a place in the lineup where Smith got off to fast start but that empty netter miss has been his albatross. The reset button needs to be pushed on him and right now and we need a more polished scorer. I don't think he is the central piece of the trade but a big part of it. Along with a high draft pick and another minor league player could get you a nice player. Who that player is I don't know. I think all western team will deal with the eastern team since they don't play each other this year. The teams that fall out of it quickly or the teams that realize that they might not be a part of the playoff picture. If we don't make a move especially now that Hornqvist is out we might be one of those teams.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I was surprised Smith didn't play in Milwaukee during the lockout. I'm pretty sure he was eligible. That could have done wonders for his development.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think we can use Smith as trade bait. You say he is doing bad and what will we get for a player that's not working for us. His potential is his trade value. You would think that if Smith could put it all together he can be a good scorer. Ellis and Smith came up together. Ellis is a defenseman and Smith a forward but you can see that Ellis has made strides and found a place in the lineup where Smith got off to fast start but that empty netter miss has been his albatross. The reset button needs to be pushed on him and right now and we need a more polished scorer. I don't think he is the central piece of the trade but a big part of it. Along with a high draft pick and another minor league player could get you a nice player. Who that player is I don't know. I think all western team will deal with the eastern team since they don't play each other this year. The teams that fall out of it quickly or the teams that realize that they might not be a part of the playoff picture. If we don't make a move especially now that Hornqvist is out we might be one of those teams.

Why trade him? He almost broke our rookie records last year and he's off to rough start so we trade him while his value is the lowest?

That doesn't make sense. We finally develop someone who likes to shoot after years of complaining about it, that's been Poile's only flaw at the draft board. That just screams impatient panic move.

It really depends on the player, but I think you're jumping the gun on that one.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Why trade him? He almost broke our rookie records last year and he's off to rough start so we trade him while his value is the lowest?

That doesn't make sense. We finally develop someone who likes to shoot after years of complaining about it, that's been Poile's only flaw at the draft board. That just screams impatient panic move.

It really depends on the player, but I think you're jumping the gun on that one.

Well, I think we "are developing" would be more accurate, but either way I think we will clearly have to give up something to get something. If Smith doesn't really improve much but we're in good position for the playoffs I wouldn't be against trading him around the deadline or whatnot. I honestly think if we get a worthy player in return, our organization can be just fine without Smith. We saw Geoffrion finally get dealt, and I'm sure a package involving Smith can fetch something helpful from a struggling team. Smith isn't a savior and he is a perfect trade bait in the right scenario. He's a young, but not too young, developing player who has offensive instincts.

Am I against keeping him? Not at all. Do I think it's smart to see what the market value might be for him if he continues underachieving? Yes. Also, trading Smith wouldn't be a panic move. Doing something stupid like firing Trotz and/or Poile would be.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Wilson played in Milwaukee first. Smith could use some time in the AHL right now, but due to waivers that will not happen. His best case right now is to likely sit out for a game or two right next to Coach Allard and get extra practice time every day. He needs to rebuild his confidence and that will not come playing top-6 minutes. Smith needs to start with a clearly defined role and a set of reasonable expectations. Simplify his game. Make sure he's playing with purpose and praise him whenever he meets expectations and correct him when he errs.

Unfortunately, this is a delicate situation. We know he has offensive potential. However, it is necessary for him to turn that potential into performance...

I would think you almost would have to tell him, "look, we know you can shoot and score, but you make too many mistakes and so you never get yourself in a position to shoot because you've turned the puck over. So the next three games we dont care if you even take a shot, we are going to put you on the 4th line, in limited minutes, and all we want you to do is have zero turnovers, and make at least one solid pass per shift. When you get that down we will think about bumping you up a line"

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
With Hornquist out, Smith needs to put his big girl panties on and man up and play some better hockey. this team was built with him to contribute ofeensively, not hold Yip's third line jock

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Tangradi is struggling on the Pens as well. I wonder if Poile is considering to trade him for Tangradi (Pens) given similar potential, age, the Shero/Poile relationship, and the fact that all they probably need is a change of scenery to light their fire.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Well, I think we "are developing" would be more accurate, but either way I think we will clearly have to give up something to get something. If Smith doesn't really improve much but we're in good position for the playoffs I wouldn't be against trading him around the deadline or whatnot. I honestly think if we get a worthy player in return, our organization can be just fine without Smith. We saw Geoffrion finally get dealt, and I'm sure a package involving Smith can fetch something helpful from a struggling team. Smith isn't a savior and he is a perfect trade bait in the right scenario. He's a young, but not too young, developing player who has offensive instincts.

Am I against keeping him? Not at all. Do I think it's smart to see what the market value might be for him if he continues underachieving? Yes. Also, trading Smith wouldn't be a panic move. Doing something stupid like firing Trotz and/or Poile would be.

I think that would be a panic move. We need patience with our offensive guys. Smith's only a sophomore with barely any NHL experience. Trading him when he's at his lowest and watching him develop elsewhere reeks of Brian Burke.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I think that would be a panic move. We need patience with our offensive guys. Smith's only a sophomore with barely any NHL experience. Trading him when he's at his lowest and watching him develop elsewhere reeks of Brian Burke.

Unless you're getting a prospect of equal value and at the same stage in his development...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad