Smith, 5pts, -5 in last 38 games

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
- Kindl has negative value, he will be our 7th D for next 2 seasons.
- Ericsson is fine at 3rd pair.
- Smith is our trade bait to get that guy who pushes Ericsson to be at 3rd pair.

i agree, that seems like a plan.

if abdelkader asks for the moon on his next contract, i'd look to move him, smith and pick and/or prospect for dman. it won't get elite dman but it will get a good one.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
- Kindl has negative value, he will be our 7th D for next 2 seasons.

Wouldn't Kindl be #8? Behind Marchy and XO? Unless we just let Smith go and don't sign anyone to replace him.

I like your scenario though. Trade Smith in a package for someone or let him go and sign one of the upcoming UFAs. Bring up XO/Marchy full time and let them rotate in with E/Q/whoever is struggling or injured. Kindl stashed in GR or miraculously shipped out. I would feel so much better about our defense if this happened.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wouldn't Kindl be #8? Behind Marchy and XO? Unless we just let Smith go and don't sign anyone to replace him.

I like your scenario though. Trade Smith in a package for someone or let him go and sign one of the upcoming UFAs. Bring up XO/Marchy full time and let them rotate in with E/Q/whoever is struggling or injured. Kindl stashed in GR or miraculously shipped out. I would feel so much better about our defense if this happened.

Marchenko and Ouellet are still waiver free and swap 6th D duties 50/50.

Kronner - RD
DeKeyser - Q
Ericsson - Ouellet/Marchenko
Kindl

After next season, Quincey is let walk and both Ouellet and Marchenko will become regulars.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
if abdelkader asks for the moon on his next contract, i'd look to move him, smith and pick and/or prospect for dman. it won't get elite dman but it will get a good one.
I doubt Abdelkader will ask for the moon. I think he'll be a Wing for life.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Marchenko and Ouellet are still waiver free and swap 6th D duties 50/50.

Kronner - RD
DeKeyser - Q
Ericsson - Ouellet/Marchenko
Kindl

After next season, Quincey is let walk and both Ouellet and Marchenko will become regulars.

I'm absolutely fine with that. I had no clue on their waiver status. I miss Capgeek. Looks loads better already with a RD, E off the top pairing, and Kindl/Lashoff out of the top6.

Detwa

Apr 16, 2012
So with the new addition of Zidlicky, does smiths role on this team change at all?

I really like Marchenko, and would hate to see him sent down. But once Quincey comes back, is it built into Holland & Babcocks DNA to send Marchenko back to GR instead of dumping Kindl because of xp?

What if Smith plays a forward/D hybrid role, and we dress 7 defenseman a game?
Assuming everyone is healthy:

F
Tatar - Dats - Helm
Abbs - Z - Gus
Weiss - Sheahan - Cole
Smith - LG - Miller
hs: Andersson , Cleary
D
Kronner - Zidlicky
KQ - DDK
Ericcson - Marchenko
hs: Kindl
PP1
Z - Dats - Nyquist - Tatar
Kronner

PP2
Weiss - Sheahan - Abbs/Cole
KFQ - Zidlicky

PK1
Lg - Miller
KQ - DDK

PK2
Helm - Smith
Kronner - Ericcson/Zidlicky

Or would that be silly? I think Smith could be great in that role. Would be more of a grinder than Jurco and he could be great in a gritty forward/pker look.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Found this funny and telling at the same time. Players were asked who would be the wings emergency goalie

“Maybe Smitty,†Abdelkader said. “He’s pretty competitive. He seems to be good at everything.

“I think he’d volunteer himself.â€

As a matter of fact, he would indeed.

“Yeah, I’d probably have to do that,†Smith said. “I really think I would.â€

Ignoring Smith’s enthusiasm, Babcock wasn’t sold that Smith in net was his best option.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,†Babcock said. “Let’s just work on getting out of our zone.â€

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/sports/who-would-be-wings-emergency-goalie

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Since the thread got bumped, I thought I'd update the stats and continue the stretch of games. 5pts, -5 in those 38 games.

I'd love to hear the tone of voice Babcock used when saying we should focus on getting out of the zone first. Was it sarcastic or was he trying to make a point?

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
Babcock doesn't go easy on Smith. Would not be surprised at all to see Smith in the pressbox for Game 1 of the playoffs.

would rather see him in the pressbox now. get marchy or oullette some more nhl experience if we're really gonna play them in the playoffs

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
Can someone tell me what are they waiting for with this so called kid who just turned 26 and hasn't shown nothing. Shouldn't they just trade him before he totally Kindlizes himself.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Can someone tell me what are they waiting for with this so called kid who just turned 26 and hasn't shown nothing. Shouldn't they just trade him before he totally Kindlizes himself.
They should but he isn't a player in which he's the main piece in a trade, he's a piece that is added to the deal. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to him

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You want to trade him because he is bad, but you expect other teams to want him? Professional scouts see the same things that Wings fans do.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Toronto wanted him as a piece in a Phaneuf trade. :dunno:

Where exactly is your proof of that? Twitter speculation? Perhaps Holland wanted to move Smith and Toronto wanted nothing to do with him. See, we can both play the speculation game.

Mike Puck

Feb 10, 2015
Swe
They should but he isn't a player in which he's the main piece in a trade, he's a piece that is added to the deal. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to him

Yeah I agree.

You want to trade him because he is bad, but you expect other teams to want him? Professional scouts see the same things that Wings fans do.

Well I'm not saying he's so bad he has no value basically. But sure it's possible that it's already decreased to a level that it's better to just keep him than trade him.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
We have at least 9 NHL level D (maybe more with Jensen) in the organization and 7 of them are under contract for next season. Marchy and XO both have proved they belong in the show so obviously Kindl is the easy choice to get rid of but if the Wings really can't give him away what are the chances Smitty is the odd man out next season?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We have at least 9 NHL level D (maybe more with Jensen) in the organization and 7 of them are under contract for next season. Marchy and XO both have proved they belong in the show so obviously Kindl is the easy choice to get rid of but if the Wings really can't give him away what are the chances Smitty is the odd man out next season?

No worries, we're going to trade him for Phaneuf at the draft :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think they will re-visit that potential trade this summer.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Watched the game from my company's suite last night, I thought he had one of his best games of the year. He was the only defenseman with a pulse it seemed, and his skating through the neutral zone was solid. In the third period Ericsson got benched, and Smith was pushed up with Kronwall and Dekeyser at times.

After reading through the gdt, I think lots of you are biased on him. Lots of hate going his way, I don't think he deserves all of it.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Smith did have a pretty good game last night. Still think we should go with a Kronwall-Smith pairing for a while, just to see how it goes. Ericsson has been awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad