Smith, 5pts, -5 in last 38 games

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even though I'm a fan of Smith, I was not in support of promoting him when he wasn't playing well. I don't think that's the answer.

Now that he's playing better I would like to see that nice pairing down the stretch of last year given a shot, at least for a game or two.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Quincey-Ericsson

As much as we may want Ericsson benched, it's not happening.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
That's the second time I've heard that stat used for Smith's benefit. It treads far too close to 'he produces 10 goals per 60 mins on the second game of a back to back held on Tuesdays in the month of February when it's raining outside' territory for me.

I still have no idea what "usage adjusted Corsi against per 60" even is.

Either way, I don't think the Red Wings' future involves Smith. Which is why I think we need to start talking about how awesome of a stat "usage adjusted Corsi against per 60" and how it is clearly a spot on indication of how good a defenseman really is. Maybe if we trump it up enough, Toronto will trade us Phaneuf for Smith straight up.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
That's the second time I've heard that stat used for Smith's benefit. It treads far too close to 'he produces 10 goals per 60 mins on the second game of a back to back held on Tuesdays in the month of February when it's raining outside' territory for me.

I still have no idea what "usage adjusted Corsi against per 60" even is.

Either way, I don't think the Red Wings' future involves Smith. Which is why I think we need to start talking about how awesome of a stat "usage adjusted Corsi against per 60" and how it is clearly a spot on indication of how good a defenseman really is. Maybe if we trump it up enough, Toronto will trade us Phaneuf for Smith straight up.

..it says right in the article.

"The numbers that have “UA†in front of it mean that those statistics have been adjusted for zone starts, quality of teammates, and quality of competition."

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Even though I'm a fan of Smith, I was not in support of promoting him when he wasn't playing well. I don't think that's the answer.

Now that he's playing better I would like to see that nice pairing down the stretch of last year given a shot, at least for a game or two.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Quincey-Ericsson

I approve 110%. Smith played well with Kronwall and is a different player and can use his skating ability when allowed to play his game.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
..it says right in the article.

"The numbers that have “UA†in front of it mean that those statistics have been adjusted for zone starts, quality of teammates, and quality of competition."

But how have they been adjusted?

Using my super special patented algorithms:
Adjusting for ice conditions, Andersson is actually our top scorer.
Adjusting for humidity and press box catering, Jurco is the 3rd best defender in the league.
Adjusting for tides and pollen counts, Babcock is worse than Eakins.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Quincey-Ericsson

I think your reasoning for doing this is sound. Smith is arguably playing his best hockey of the season at this point. If there was a time to try it, it is probably now. More so than others, he may need to play with a rightie, but I would certainly try him with Kronwall for a spell.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Smith's development was mishandled from day one, and he continues to be misused by Babcock.

I think the damage has been done and cannot be fixed.

I don't think his development was mishandled. I just think he isn't that great of a player at the NHL level. He hasn't performed even with sheltered minutes. He still makes rookie mistakes against weaker line matchups all the time. He decision-making ability with the puck is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad