TSN: Smid to Flames for Scorak and Brossoit

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My big issue with Jay is that he's historically a poor trader, with Burke in the fold though we have already seen a huge improvement in the first 2 dealings under his watch. I just wish Burke would of been here last season when we traded Iggy and Jbo.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I will forever be confused how any hockey fan, not just Flames fans, cannot be impressed with Feaster's body of work since becoming a GM in Calgary.

We went from a team of overpayed, post apex, older players full of NMC's, bloated contracts and country club atmosphere. Our prospect depth was ranked 30th in the league and our drafting/developing/scouting staff was horrendous.

Now, we have supreme cap flexibility, now and in the future. We have traded aging almost unmovable assets for valuable prospects and picks. We got somthing for players ready to walk to free agency. We haven't committed to FA's long term with bloated contracts. We stocked our cupboards with skilled players and improved the teams depth with hockey minded players, not huge western Canadian kids. We replaced our scouts, development staff and it has already started to look better. Not to mention he has a very good relationship with his players.

What Feaster has done, can only be described as 'great' once the team is successful. Give him some time.

Both Feaster and Hartley were brought in to win now, not rebuild. But now they are tasked with that idea, and are doing a great job.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ok tmurfin, do you really think that when Jay Feaster was named interim GM and he had to submit his plan to the ownership group to be named GM of the Flames that his plan was:

-I have a way that I can make the Flames one of the worst teams in the league in only two seasons
-I will make the team smaller, less exciting, more embarrassing, less talented without bringing in much youth

Because that is EXACTLY what Jay Feaster has done.

If you think that this is all part of "the plan" maybe you would like to buy the rest of my seasons tickets off me.

Bolded isn't true at all. We are way more exiting, the entire league has been giving us credit on work ethic (how is that embarrassing?), we are easily as talent as we have been in the past (just no stars) and we have a lot of youth.

Feaster as been great as far as I am concerned, the Regehr trade is his only move I think that sticks out as poor and now we have Burke and Weisbrod to help Feaster.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
My big issue with Jay is that he's historically a poor trader, with Burke in the fold though we have already seen a huge improvement in the first 2 dealings under his watch. I just wish Burke would of been here last season when we traded Iggy and Jbo.

To be fair, we got potentially two, if not 3 big pieces for our team moving forward from the JBo trade. At the time, with none of us knowing Berra, it looked like a garbage trade. But if Berra comes out and is our #1 goalie for years to come, we did the best we were ever going to with the contract Jbo had. Period. If Poirier comes in in 2 to 3 years and is a top 6 or top line forward, than we didn't just do fine with that trade, we won it, and if Cundari ever makes it to the NHL we fleeced them. A starting goalie, a top 6 forward, and an NHL Dman for a player who's contract was considered immovable, is pretty damn good.

The Iggy trade, I don't think we ever had a chance to win, but hey, if Klimchuk is half as good as he looks to be, we did alright on that one.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
I will forever be confused how any hockey fan, not just Flames fans, cannot be impressed with Feaster's body of work since becoming a GM in Calgary.

We went from a team of overpayed, post apex, older players full of NMC's, bloated contracts and country club atmosphere. Our prospect depth was ranked 30th in the league and our drafting/developing/scouting staff was horrendous.

Now, we have supreme cap flexibility, now and in the future. We have traded aging almost unmovable assets for valuable prospects and picks. We got somthing for players ready to walk to free agency. We haven't committed to FA's long term with bloated contracts. We stocked our cupboards with skilled players and improved the teams depth with hockey minded players, not huge western Canadian kids. We replaced our scouts, development staff and it has already started to look better. Not to mention he has a very good relationship with his players.

What Feaster has done, can only be described as 'great' once the team is successful. Give him some time.

Both Feaster and Hartley were brought in to win now, not rebuild. But now they are tasked with that idea, and are doing a great job.

Could not have said it better myself.

For the first time in years I have actually enjoyed watching the Flame's play and excited where this team is going.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think most people would agree that I'm far from a Feaster fan. But I think you have his plan all mixed up. Here's how I see it:

2010 - Pursue the playoffs but don't ruin future
2011 - Pursue the playoffs and get younger
2012 - Blow it up
2013 - ***wait & see before drawing conclusion***

Fantastic post, MarkGio.

I think the point that Guido Sarducci is making is that Feaster was a terrible GM as long as the org's intentions were to compete. For some reason he's escaped the chopping block and ire of fans once he traded away Iggy and JBo.

That's fine, but it's like saying that I have terrible balance when you break one of my legs and shoot me in the other. Feaster was given an extremely difficult task in taking a team that had very little contract flexibility and room for movement, with two star players on the decline and a dearth of prospects, which was already declined to the point of not being a playoff team when he took over. And management gave him the job to take the team to the playoffs at basically all costs. It could also be argued that the teams Feaster assembled (with probably the exception of last season) had about as good a shot of making the playoffs as anyone if they'd played to their potential. They both showed that to be true in flashes.

Anyway, I think that the difficulty bonus on Feaster's first few years is what has saved him from the chopping block.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Feaster deserves his share of criticism. He certainly allowed face-offs to be a glaring issue for a long time. He's made some sub-par trades and he's had his blunders. He's obsessed with NCAA players and it might be because that's where his scouts are bias due to spending more time in north america. Size is important too.

I'm not overly concerned however. Between Abbortsford getting on track and Burke coming on board, the Flames will be alright. I've spent some time reading the Oilers board lately because the drama has made some very entertaining reading and it seems the Flames should count their blessings. Management is an old boys club, the Oilers can't scout, their system is full of Oil Kings, their 5th coach has already lost the locker room, and apparently their young stars can't get along. In addition to having glaring holes in their roster and no hope in sight. So I can live with a few crappy seasons as long as there is light at the end of the tunnel

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be fair, we got potentially two, if not 3 big pieces for our team moving forward from the JBo trade. At the time, with none of us knowing Berra, it looked like a garbage trade. But if Berra comes out and is our #1 goalie for years to come, we did the best we were ever going to with the contract Jbo had. Period. If Poirier comes in in 2 to 3 years and is a top 6 or top line forward, than we didn't just do fine with that trade, we won it, and if Cundari ever makes it to the NHL we fleeced them. A starting goalie, a top 6 forward, and an NHL Dman for a player who's contract was considered immovable, is pretty damn good.

The Iggy trade, I don't think we ever had a chance to win, but hey, if Klimchuk is half as good as he looks to be, we did alright on that one.

Poirier looks to be almost worth Jbo alone, but credit our scouting staff for that. The trade does look better now, but I'd much rather that they acquired Berra in a separate deal. He was an after thought in the Blues plans and likely could of been had for a 6/7th round pick.

It's to bad that the deal wasn't Rattie, and a 1st.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Poirier looks to be almost worth Jbo alone, but credit our scouting staff for that. The trade does look better now, but I'd much rather that they acquired Berra in a separate deal. He was an after thought in the Blues plans and likely could of been had for a 6/7th round pick.

Extremely unlikely the Blues would be willing to part with Rattie. I think he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Extremely unlikely the Blues would be willing to part with Rattie. I think he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.

I disagree, I think Feaster had targets in mind before negotiating started. Of course thats my opinion, and we will never know if he was available or not. But Rattie is a smaller, skilled forward, not the best skater, not a typical Blues forward. I feel he would of been available had we asked for less.

Either way I'm happy with Poirier and hopefully Berra continues to impress. My issue is I would prefer they asked for more high end quality over quantity in case some of these guys hit their ceiling. This has been discussed enough though, I'm glad Burke is here.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I disagree, I think Feaster had targets in mind before negotiating started. Of course thats my opinion, and we will never know if he was available or not. But Rattie is a smaller, skilled forward, not the best skater, not a typical Blues forward. I feel he would of been available had we asked for less.

Either way I'm happy with Poirier and hopefully Berra continues to impress. My issue is I would prefer they asked for more high end quality over quantity in case some of these guys hit their ceiling. This has been discussed enough though, I'm glad Burke is here.

I'm not sure we could afford to take on another small forward lol. Anyhow my point was, I think he's done the best that anyone could have with what he was given. He filled needs with trades, and got high end picks at the same time. Hanowski looks good, and maybe Agostini will be an NHLer too. Won't know from some time, I just don't think he's been as bad at trading as he sometimes gets the rap for.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not sure we could afford to take on another small forward lol. Anyhow my point was, I think he's done the best that anyone could have with what he was given. He filled needs with trades, and got high end picks at the same time. Hanowski looks good, and maybe Agostini will be an NHLer too. Won't know from some time, I just don't think he's been as bad at trading as he sometimes gets the rap for.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Weisbrod is from the Bruins, I don't think Rattie was acquired because we have Sven and JG. I still would've took a gamble on him because he's a high-end skilled player though.

I am not Jay's biggest advocate, but I will acknowledge credit where credit is due and he has done a very good job this summer and going forward on redeeming himself. I do not believe that trading is his biggest strength and that is why am happy that Burke is now here.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I think you hit the nail on the head there. Weisbrod is from the Bruins, I don't think Rattie was acquired because we have Sven and JG. I still would've took a gamble on him because he's a high-end skilled player though.

I am not Jay's biggest advocate, but I will acknowledge credit where credit is due and he has done a very good job this summer and going forward on redeeming himself. I do not believe that trading is his biggest strength and that is why am happy that Burke is now here.

I think the biggest asset of having Burke here, is to have someone here who can tell Jay, 'Get more' or Give less' So that Jay doesn't settle on the first thing given to him, or too soon into the negotiation process.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think the biggest asset of having Burke here, is to have someone here who can tell Jay, 'Get more' or Give less' So that Jay doesn't settle on the first thing given to him, or too soon into the negotiation process.

2 heads are always better than one. Except when they're conjoined twins I imagine.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

The deal would only have ever been Rattie + 1st if we kept salary and we weren't going to so there is no point in pretending otherwise.

I agree we could have gotten Berra another way but it looks like Berra was a throw in and I'm not sure if there would have been a better throw in to target.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
My complaints of Feaster have mostly been mitigated with the acquisition and appointment of Burke directly above him. Moving forward, the subpar trades, poorly thought out offer sheets and lack of a clear and concise vision of the future should no longer be an issue. At least I hope anyway.

But an objective look at Feaster's tenure here absolutely and undeniably warrants criticism, the degree to which however, varies depending on the tint of glasses.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The deal would only have ever been Rattie + 1st if we kept salary and we weren't going to so there is no point in pretending otherwise.

I agree we could have gotten Berra another way but it looks like Berra was a throw in and I'm not sure if there would have been a better throw in to target.

You say this with such confidence, as if you were involved in the negotiating process :sarcasm:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Other than Iggy I don't miss a single player traded away since Feaster came in board. We haven't traded a single winner on our roster. Every player we traded outside of Iggy was a loser. Not the mean way but was never a winner. Most players with bad contracts had good contract years then fell off the planet.

As for Jbo trade, I don't know what everyone's obsession with Rattie is. We have plenty of players of his kind, and he would be further clog on the wings.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Other than Iggy I don't miss a single player traded away since Feaster came in board. We haven't traded a single winner on our roster. Every player we traded outside of Iggy was a loser. Not the mean way but was never a winner. Most players with bad contracts had good contract years then fell off the planet.

As for Jbo trade, I don't know what everyone's obsession with Rattie is. We have plenty of players of his kind, and he would be further clog on the wings.

Him and Baertschi ripped up the WHL playing together on the Portland Winterhawks.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Or that Bob Mackenzie said that there would have been a player like Rattie in the deal if the Flames held salary.

Did he mention rattie? I didnt hear names, just the flames werent taking back salary. anyways our package is looking decent right now. id say poirier>berra>rattie

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary already has Baertschi (somewhat) and Gaudreau coming up who are small, skilled forwards. It's been three seasons now and I don't particularly care what kind of chemistry they had in junior. Iginla and Crosby had pretty good chemistry three years ago in Vancouver but they didn't exactly rip it up in the end of the season/in playoffs when they had about the same amount of time to develop chemistry for the Olympics.

Small, skilled talent is easy to find but hard to develop. Why bothering trading assets for them when they're usually released from other organizations for free, or available in later rounds of the draft?

Besides, Baertschi seems to have progressed past Rattie, whereas Rattie seems to have slowed/stalled in his progression. While Baertschi isn't exactly ripping up the NHL, at least he's in the league.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Calgary already has Baertschi (somewhat) and Gaudreau coming up who are small, skilled forwards. It's been three seasons now and I don't particularly care what kind of chemistry they had in junior. Iginla and Crosby had pretty good chemistry three years ago in Vancouver but they didn't exactly rip it up in the end of the season/in playoffs when they had about the same amount of time to develop chemistry for the Olympics.

Small, skilled talent is easy to find but hard to develop. Why bothering trading assets for them when they're usually released from other organizations for free, or available in later rounds of the draft?

Besides, Baertschi seems to have progressed past Rattie, whereas Rattie seems to have slowed/stalled in his progression. While Baertschi isn't exactly ripping up the NHL, at least he's in the league.
This is what i was alluding to in saying I don't understand everyone's obsession with Rattie. He is smaller than Sven, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad