WWE: Smackdown Live 25: Everyone's tough until The Man comes around

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Becky should have put a bounty on Nia for the other women in the traditional match. And I’d like to see Sonya Deville get the rub for it.

Reactions: ColePens

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
While the context is not lost on me (emergency injury plan, SS brand united season, etc.), I'm a little worried with how Becky was presented and how she presented herself in this episode. It's fun to say, "come on WWE listen to the fans", but when they do sometimes you end up getting a neuterd (spayed?) version of that character. What I'm trying to say is that if WWE starts to write her as a tweener, they usually go for the broadest fan appeal (by their measure), which means smoothing out the edges of a character until they are generally boring and harmless. Then you are left cheering for the legacy of a character rather than what they are actually doing in the present. This can also be classified as under the guise of the WWE (wrongfully) believing that they are always in control of the narrative.

We've seen it happen with plenty of wrestlers who got into mega-over territory organically only for their character to take a nosedive in favor of writing them for the massest of appeal. Things like Becky picking her successor as if she's a judge at a pageant show and hugging it out with Charlotte go against what she has been building over the last couple of months. Again, in the context of this episode and the immediate circumstances I hope it's a one off.

Reactions: BonMorrison

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
^So true. Summer of Punk '11 is a great example of this. Even Strowman last year as well.

Okay, I'm glad my point was not lost, as it took me longer to type it out than I had originally planned. Your examples drive the point home much further. There's a right way to proceed and a "this is why we can't have nice things" way to proceed: i.e. Stone Cold vs Coldplay Becky Lynch.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Okay, I'm glad my point was not lost, as it took me longer to type it out than I had originally planned. Your examples drive the point home much further. There's a right way to proceed and a "this is why we can't have nice things" way to proceed: i.e. Stone Cold vs Coldplay Becky Lynch.

You're very much right.

But we have to hope...right? And if not...enjoy it while we have it. The bright side is that while the hug was out of character (though possibly building to something else?) she maintained the character well for much of the promo and has continued to do so on Twitter at least.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
You're very much right.

But we have to hope...right? And if not...enjoy it while we have it. The bright side is that while the hug was out of character (though possibly building to something else?) she maintained the character well for much of the promo and has continued to do so on Twitter at least.

Yeah that's the main reason why I wanted to post it here instead of the Becky thread, as I don't want to derail the appreciation of her with my pessimism of what could very well be a one off related to that episode. It'll be very interesting to see who her next SD feud will be against when she comes back.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of want Becky to attack Charlotte if she loses, just so I can hear Bryan Alvarez have a complete meltldown.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Kind of want Becky to attack Charlotte if she loses, just so I can hear Bryan Alvarez have a complete meltldown.
Oh god, what’d he say this week about Becky/Charlotte/Ronda?

You’d think he’d be able to understand the basic storytelling of Becky attacking Charlotte if Charlotte loses.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oh god, what’d he say this week about Becky/Charlotte/Ronda?

You’d think he’d be able to understand the basic storytelling of Becky attacking Charlotte if Charlotte loses.

Bryan thinks in absolutes when it comes to heels and faces. And then acts incredulous when he thinks someone turns and finds out the following week that they didn't.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Charlotte was selling insecurity in her face. She’s still trending towards rock bottom on her redemption arc I feel. I think the hug plays that up a bit.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently Fox Executives are backstage tonight so WWE is planning on making this show ‘big’

Whatever that means

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
More like change in how the show is presented to start coming into line with what Fox wants.

The sweep* will be the story justification is my guess.

That's unsettling....what exactly does Fox want, and how will it affect WWE Creative? Could be for the better......could be much much worse. :help: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad