Post-Game Talk: Slump busters Canucks lose 3-1. You're welcome, MSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Article on the Burrows' hit:

http://newyorkpuck.com/2014/04/02/an-unbiased-view-burrows-hit-on-mcdonagh/

During last night’s game, Ryan McDonaugh took a hard hit from Canucks antagonist Alex Burrows with 47 seconds left. McDonaugh was able to skate off on his own but didn’t seem to be moving his left shoulder. The Rangers can ill afford to lose him.

Regarding Burrows’ hit, it came from the side. Not from behind as MSG’s Sam Rosen and Joe Micheletti contended. As much as I dislike him, Burrows’ hit didn’t warrant a major penalty. He has a reputation as a dirty player. Of course, anytime a borderline guy finishes a check late in a game with his team about to lose they’re going to get criticized. The question is was the hit really as bad as some are making it out to be.

From our vantage point, Burrows comes in from the side. The more pressing issue is that it was high on a defenseless McDonaugh. He was assessed an elbowing major and game misconduct. I’ve watched it several times and fail to see how it’s more than a two minute penalty. At worst, it’s a rough because his hands were high and made contact with McDonaugh’s chin.

Wetcoaster

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.
A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure or who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

Is that not what Burrows got? I could be wrong.

EDIT:

You could be right, just checked the game sheet and it's listed as a game misconduct, not a match penalty. I always confuse the two.
Match penalties are very rarely assessed.

Wetcoaster

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks
“We’re playing for pride now, playing for each other.” - Bieksa

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
#Canucks Henrik on playoff math: 'we're hockey players, but we're not stupid.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Like winning a second consecutive Presidents Trophy?

IMHO AV unlike Tortorella this season deserved the benefit of the doubt based on his record in Vancouver and the fact that the 2012-13 season was truncated by the lockout.

He also never got anything like the quality to fill the holes that Tortorella got.

Ebbett, Gordon, Gragnani, Bitz, Mancari, Duco, Barker.......compare them with Richardson, Santorelli, Stanton, Weber, Mathias, Dalpe

AV was also left with filling the holes left by Salo, and Hodgson

Wetcoaster

“He’s our Captain, one of our best players. We’re hopeful he can play on Saturday.†- Torts

Torts on #Canucks Garrison: 'forget about zone coverage and stuff, the biggest thing is hitting the net. He needs to hit the net.'

Wolfy*

Any word on whether the league has rescinded the game misconduct for Burrows? I hope MG has some way to file a grievance if they don't.

Some news you might like...from NY Post.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 4m
NHL Dep't of Player Safety has reviewed Burrows' hit on McDonagh and does not believe it is worthy of suspension, Post has learned.

Wetcoaster

Torts on #Canucks Schroeder: 'he wants to play. But I need something to hang my hat on in terms of consistency.'

Wetcoaster

So nice spring day?... or?

Only one TV station & just one radio station covering today's #Canucks practice. Been a while since ranks have been so thin

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Well then you're wrong with your thoughts, because Luongo was much more superior to Lack.

Again, since the Olympic break Lack has allowed more goals than any goalie in the NHL. That says a lot. He also has a sub-0.900 SVP over his time as a starter.

Furthermore, Lack's offensive support since becoming the starter is 2.36 goals for per game. This stretch also includes losses where the Canucks scored three goals twice and four goals once. (Also, it's funny how Lack can't be expected to win these games yet Lu was expected to win a Stanley Cup with half that production, but I digress).

Meanwhile Lu was given 2.50 gf/game of offensive support in his starts in Vancouver this season (difference of 11 goals per 82 games). Furthermore, he did not have a regulation loss (and only one OTL) when the Canucks scored 3 or more goals this season. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good argument ;)

What was Lu's GAA in the half dozen or so games prior to the Olympics?

You can blame Lack for the odd soft goal against, but you can also count on Lu to let in a softie every now and then as well. You are manufacturing an issue now that has actually been around all season and blaming it on Lack while conveniently ignoring Luongo's shortcomings.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Is Booth going to be asking for some personal leave?

The Province ‏@theprovince
Grizzly hunt opens in B.C. with one of highest quotas in decades
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Grizzly+hunt+opens+with+highest+quotas+decades/9687154/story.html

Not needed! No pesky playoffs to get in the way:

"The spring grizzly hunt runs from April 1 to the end of May. The fall hunt begins Oct. 1 and continues into mid-November."

So Booth can kill to his heart's content after five more games, and then next October when he's done counting his buyout bucks.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
“We’re playing for pride now, playing for each other.†- Bieksa

#Canucks Henrik on playoff math: 'we're hockey players, but we're not stupid.'

Man, you'd think they'd have been "playing for pride" and "playing for each other" earlier on in the year when it might have made a difference. :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What was Lu's GAA in the half dozen or so games prior to the Olympics?

You can blame Lack for the odd soft goal against, but you can also count on Lu to let in a softie every now and then as well. You are manufacturing an issue now that has actually been around all season and blaming it on Lack while conveniently ignoring Luongo's shortcomings.

Why only half dozen? If we're comparing 17 game sample sizes then it would be 2.42.

Not manufacturing anything. Lack since he's become the starter hasn't been very good.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Why only half dozen? If we're comparing 17 game sample sizes then it would be 2.42.

Not manufacturing anything. Lack since he's become the starter hasn't been very good.

I'd say he's been "inconsistent" rather than not very good. And I'd also say that Luongo himself was quite inconsistent prior to the trade...and I'm more prepared to deal with inconsistency in a rookie who makes $750k over a vet making over $5m for the next eternity.

Wetcoaster

Man, you'd think they'd have been "playing for pride" and "playing for each other" earlier on in the year when it might have made a difference. :laugh:
The question was about whether the players were going to mail it in now that it looked like they were out of the play-offs.

You seem to be assuming something that was not asked nor in fact occurred.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The question was about whether the players were going to mail it in now that it looked like they were out of the play-offs.

You seem to be assuming something that was not asked nor in fact occurred.

You didn't post the question, just the tweet. Next time add some context if you don't want people assuming one way or another.

Wetcoaster

Raw: Henrik Sedin 04.02.14
Henrik Sedin talks to reporters on Wednesday after taking part in practice for the first time since suffering a leg injury March 23

[NHL]593478[/NHL]

Wetcoaster

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

Regardless, saying they are playing for "pride" and "each other" is just lame and lazy cliche.
I disagree.

And so does John Tortorella.

Raw: John Tortorella 04.02.14
John Tortorella talks about Henrik Sedin's return to practice Wednesday at Rogers Arena

[NHL]593480[/NHL]

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
Neither he nor his brother will ever be 100pt players in the NHL ever again. Would I love it? Of course I would. Reality tells me otherwise. This season they both got old and much slower than they normally were. Injuries or not, they are definitely on the downside of their careers. Next year will be another year older. I don't see this magical return to glory that some of us are dreaming and hoping for.

i do see a return to the ppg range however, with a different offensive strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad