Post-Game Talk: Slump busters Canucks lose 3-1. You're welcome, MSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I don't think you can write-off Lack just yet, he has shown promise as a backup and is still just a rookie. Those expecting Lack to be given the starters job and continue giving the Canucks elite goaltending were way off base (Gillis included) and this has been stated numerous times even when Lack was still the backup here.

The Canucks have given up the most goals against of any team in the NHL since the Olympic break. That means Lack has given up the most goals against of any goalie in the NHL since the Olympic break (basically since he became the starter). I think that qualifies him as the worst starting goalie in the League. BUT, this is what people wanted.

But...he gives us the best chance to win! :sarcasm:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Lack is the most compelling thing about this season for me. He's overworked and inexperienced on a bad team and doing well enough. These are harrowing circumstances for a rookie and I think despite it all, I think he'll be a good starter.

What's Luongo's stats look like after - what is it? 16 straight starts, including back-to-backs?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Lack is the most compelling thing about this season for me. He's overworked and inexperienced on a bad team and doing well enough. These are harrowing circumstances for a rookie and I think despite it all, I think he'll be a good starter.

What's Luongo's stats look like after - what is it? 16 straight starts, including back-to-backs?

It's funny to me that people think Lu would have done better under the same circumstances. Or just guessing that he would have. When, you know, he got outplayed by the guy currently in the net... Yup, makes complete sense.

Lack unseats Luongo before he gets 2 consecutive starts, forget 16 straight...

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Looks like the players have given up.

"It's almost impossible to come back in the third period in this league and we shoot ourselves in the foot," said Kesler. "Another shorthanded goal and the penalty kill didn't get the job done — that's the difference."

And I would hate it as a player if one of the leaders on the team said this.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Yeah that's not acting like a leader. What he said could have been re-worded easily, but who knows what his mindset was at the time. Though our goaltending hasn't been good enough lately that we aren't going to have a chance in these games.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That's so bad you almost wonder how it's even possible.

It's pretty amazing just how awful their record has been. Since January 1st they have a .361 record which is a 59 point pace. Just to put that level of play into context, no one has finished with fewer than 60 points since 2007 (though Buffalo will likely get there this year). So the Canucks over the last 3+ months have been equivalent to the worst teams in the last decade.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

I was vigilant for this kind of loser talk a month ago and was happy to not see it. With six games left I think it's fair that they're allowed to face reality.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think Kes has checked out since the deadline, kind of like Luongo did when he was all happy-go-lucky in the handshake line vs. the Sharks.

He still plays hard, but he doesn't care nearly as much anymore. I think he'll be traded at the draft.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah that's not acting like a leader. What he said could have been re-worded easily, but who knows what his mindset was at the time. Though our goaltending hasn't been good enough lately that we aren't going to have a chance in these games.

Goaltending hasn't been the problem. Oddman rushes usually result in a goal. There may be a few softies, but overall Lack has been pretty consistent.

It's pretty amazing just how awful their record has been. Since January 1st they have a .361 record which is a 59 point pace. Just to put that level of play into context, no one has finished with fewer than 60 points since 2007 (though Buffalo will likely get there this year). So the Canucks over the last 3+ months have been equivalent to the worst teams in the last decade.

That's why we don't cherry-pick stats. I am sure if you did something similar to Edmonton's record over the past few years, there were stretches where they were on pace for just as low.

That said, Canucks haven't been good this year and as Hamhuis said, it's an adjustment.

Wetcoaster

biypRrEiL.jpeg

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis
The Canucks now have a 0.0106% chance of making the playoffs. This is going to be one sweet miracle.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I was vigilant for this kind of loser talk a month ago and was happy to not see it. With six games left I think it's fair that they're allowed to face reality.

I don't care if it's game 5 or game 82, there's still games being played. It's this loser-mentality that keeps organizations mediocre. It's a very bad vibe.

Look at Toews when they were down 0-3 to the Canucks in 2011. What does he say? "Let's expose them for what they are". True captain words. Never give up. The odds were against them, yet they still somehow put up a fight.

Kesler needs to remember he is part of the leadership group and his words actually mean something to the team.

I think Kes has checked out since the deadline, kind of like Luongo did when he was all happy-go-lucky in the handshake line vs. the Sharks.

He still plays hard, but he doesn't care nearly as much anymore. I think he'll be traded at the draft.

I have no problem with him being dealt. It's probably a move that will be best for both parties.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That's why we don't cherry-pick stats. I am sure if you did something similar to Edmonton's record over the past few years, there were stretches where they were on pace for just as low.

That said, Canucks haven't been good this year and as Hamhuis said, it's an adjustment.

It's not really cherry picking when you're just looking at the most recent half of a season.

And yeah, Edmonton has had finishes just as poor as this but is that really making the Canucks look better? They're not quite as bad as the worst team over the last half decade? :handclap:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
It's not really cherry picking when you're just looking at the most recent half of a season.

And yeah, Edmonton has had finishes just as poor as this but is that really making the Canucks look better? They're not quite as bad as the worst team over the last half decade? :handclap:

Nah, it's cherry-picking when you pick only the half of the season. The Canucks were on a tear in December. Didn't we only lose one?

Based on December alone, the Canucks are the best team in the league lol

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Goaltending hasn't been the problem. Oddman rushes usually result in a goal. There may be a few softies, but overall Lack has been pretty consistent.

Meh. When we go from goaltending that was better than this, to this, I would say it's a problem. Again, we've given up the most goals against of any team since the Olympic break. You can't tell me that none of that is due to goaltending.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Meh. When we go from goaltending that was better than this, to this, I would say it's a problem. Again, we've given up the most goals against of any team since the Olympic break. You can't tell me that none of that is due to goaltending.

I don't think Luongo was that much more superior to Lack. And it's kind of hard to win any games when your team only scores 1 goal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think Luongo was that much more superior to Lack. And it's kind of hard to win any games when your team only scores 1 goal.

Well then you're wrong with your thoughts, because Luongo was much more superior to Lack.

Again, since the Olympic break Lack has allowed more goals than any goalie in the NHL. That says a lot. He also has a sub-0.900 SVP over his time as a starter.

Furthermore, Lack's offensive support since becoming the starter is 2.36 goals for per game. This stretch also includes losses where the Canucks scored three goals twice and four goals once. (Also, it's funny how Lack can't be expected to win these games yet Lu was expected to win a Stanley Cup with half that production, but I digress).

Meanwhile Lu was given 2.50 gf/game of offensive support in his starts in Vancouver this season (difference of 11 goals per 82 games). Furthermore, he did not have a regulation loss (and only one OTL) when the Canucks scored 3 or more goals this season. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good argument ;)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I don't care if it's game 5 or game 82, there's still games being played. It's this loser-mentality that keeps organizations mediocre. It's a very bad vibe.

Look at Toews when they were down 0-3 to the Canucks in 2011. What does he say? "Let's expose them for what they are". True captain words. Never give up. The odds were against them, yet they still somehow put up a fight.
I've heard what that Canucks say to reporters when they're down 3-0 in the playoffs, too. It's much different from what they say when than 0.03% percent of making the playoffs.

Kesler scored a goal in this loss so I think you might just be looking for things to complain about.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Any word on whether the league has rescinded the game misconduct for Burrows? I hope MG has some way to file a grievance if they don't.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I thought that was just match penalties?:dunno:

21.1 Match Penalty - A match penalty involves the suspension of a player for the balance of the game and the offender shall be ordered to the dressing room immediately.
A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure or who deliberately injures an opponent in any manner.

Is that not what Burrows got? I could be wrong.

EDIT:

You could be right, just checked the game sheet and it's listed as a game misconduct, not a match penalty. I always confuse the two.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver

The Canucks are playing the same scrambly, patchwork defense, mentally defeated hockey they did in two series against Chicago and the finals against Boston. They made a perennial Vezina candidate look like Dan Cloutier's 2nd cousin in those games. It's really difficult to evaluate anyone's play under these conditions...either good or bad.

That said, I'd be hesitant to anoint Lack a 60+ game starter next season. I'd want him platooning with a veteran.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
@patersonjeff·37 mins
Henrik back at #Canucks practice. Interesting that he and Daniel wearing different colours

@patersonjeff·32 mins
14-17-22...20-33-46...7-15-9...29-27- 36...and then 40-45-21...15 healthy #Canucks forwards on ice

‏@JamiesonCanucks·2 mins
#canucks Daniel Sedin stays on line with Kesler, Burrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad