Post-Game Talk: Slow starts, soft goals and poor 5on5 play doom the Oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I crunched the even strength goal numbers game by game, didn't include 6-on-5 or ENGs...

The Oilers are sawing off at even strength after tonight. That's.... not good.

vs. Van Even
vs. Cgy +1
vs. Ana -1
@ Ari +2
@ VGK Even
vs. Phi -2
@ Van Even (1 6-on-5 goal scored)
Vs. Sea +2
vs. Nsh +3
vs. NYR -1
@ Det -1
@ Bos +2
@ Buf -3
@ STL +1
@ WPG -3

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
That first shitty Kosko goal is what a lot of people are going to be talking about, and he deserves the criticism...but also the entire team looked awful for most of the first two periods.

They absolutely need to figure out a way to start better and not try and win from behind.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Misunderstood your post. Their gap control in own zone is often soft, they tend to chase players outside and behind the net leaving soft ice inside high scoring areas, there is little to no physical defending to punish opposing players in blue paint area. Slow to react and often forwards aren't there to support. Strangely Nurse and Bouchard are often chasing and trying to stick check forwards in high scoring areas to little success.
I think he needs to adapt and use different schemes. It’s clear this isn’t working.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That first shitty Kosko goal is what a lot of people are going to be talking about, and he deserves the criticism...but also the entire team looked awful for most of the first two periods.

They absolutely need to figure out a way to start better and not try and win from behind.

Lol how about stopping the first shot

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Well... with any luck this will be the worst game we'll see all season. They had better learn from this. I hope this loss makes them feel both embarrassed and furious. Sometimes anger is the best motivator. An ugly loss like this might be a blessing in disguise for them.

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
Some things have definitely come home to roost for this team. That was... not fun to watch. Looking forward to a better showing at home Thursday.

dSpXWju.jpg

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bad team is bad for bad reasons. Get rid of Koskinen before his fake value goes back to normal.

Also get some NHL bodies to help. Frankly one piece equivalent of the pickup artist, law should start bullying Keith into retirement

Reactions: Trafalgar Sadge Law

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I thought he was supposed to be our Chris Chelios though...color me shocked :laugh:
The going value for Duncan Keith was a negative 1st round pick and or negative 2 2nd rounders as seen by the Marleau and Ladd trades. Not only did we not pick up high draft picks for taking on this cap dump (yes that's what this is and always was) we actually GAVE ASSETS for him. Unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad