Post-Game Talk: Slow start and dumb plays sewer Game 1

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oilers having the same problem as previous years of allowing quick GA after scoring and letting the other team get two goals in quick succession. Still haven't learned their lesson I guess.

Coach needs to learn his lesson and stop putting out our worst players in shifts after we score. He does this as a rule and I’m convinced that it accounts for 90% of this issue. It’s not a new phenomenon either, he did this repeatedly last playoff as well with the same results.

If that’s literally any D pair other than Kulak - Desharnais they aren’t scoring the first goal. If it’s literally any line other than one with Foegele and RNH on it combined with Desharnais (again!) they aren’t scoring the 4th goal.

The players all deserve blame here for their own mistakes, but all of this was entirely preventable if the coach stopped doing this. Playing Desharnais the shift after we tied the game after what happened in the first is completely inexcusable and frankly shit coaching. Self inflicted wounds are coming from the bench as much as anywhere else to start this series.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yup, and I think Woody's ego is what's keeping him in the lineup. If rumors are true about him veto'ing a trade to bring in a RD at the deadline in favor of this guy, it makes a lot of sense why he continues to play on a limitless leash.
Just asking because I don’t know, but after adding Bjugstad and Ekholm how much cap space did the Oilers have left at the deadline?

I mean this was a capped out team all season long. Playing rookies and guys like Shore was something everyone knew was going to need to happen, no?

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Fun fact. Without Desharnais on the ice, Skinner has a 0.920 s% in the playoffs. Maybe it’s not skinner. Like shit guys

If your save percentage is vastly worse with your bottom pair d on the ice, it definitely points to a Desharnais problem, not a Skinner problem.

Could you imagine if we get knocked out and piss away the whole year cause Woody is going with his guy!?!?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Woodcroft needs to read the room. That said Edm was close to winning still. I think they will rebound. This series is far from done.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This.

The amount of times I yelled at my TV "Stop trying to do it all yourself, Connor". Especially on the power-play. He needs to use his wingers more.
In fairness to McDavid, he knows if he gives the puck to Hyman that the play will die.

Speak of, it's time to get Hyman off the McDavid line. Not sure why they keep going to that well. Split McDavid and Draisaitl, put Kane on McDavid's wing where he's best and flank Draisaitl with RNH and Hyman so the best player in the world right now can try to get them going.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
In fairness to McDavid, he knows if he gives the puck to Hyman that the play will die.

Speak of, it's time to get Hyman off the McDavid line. Not sure why they keep going to that well. Split McDavid and Draisaitl, put Kane on McDavid's wing where he's best and flank Draisaitl with RNH and Hyman so the best player in the world right now can try to get them going.

Yup - Hyman has essentially been a black hole this playoffs

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Him, Nuge, and to a lesser extent Kane have been complete no shows.
At least Hyman scored the big OT goal and Kane scored the late 3rd period goal against LA. Nuge on the other hand....
But definitely need alot more from each of them if we want to make it far in these playoffs.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
You don’t take vinny out at this point. Demers is toilet paper to me - not even worth the discussion. Broberg and vinny are deployed differently (eye test). Vinny is being asked to go against harder comp than broberg and in more defensive settings. If you give broberg his assignments, expect an even worse showing imo.

We have who we have and you have to deal with vinny’s growing pains.

The man needs to drop the mitts though. Idc if there is a willing combatant, just dummy someone.

Last edited:

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Obviously Skinner should’ve had a few of those, but I think Hyman/RNH/Kane have been overall quite disappointing in these playoffs so far. A couple big goals aside, those 3 seem largely ineffective at 5 on 5.

30 goals between them in 16 playoff games last year. Only 5 in the first 7 this year.
I think Skinner has been fantastic, he hasn't been beaten on many bad chances at all and made several fantastic saves every game this playoffs. 75% of goal against have been on terrible defensive plays by the team. Others have been snipes. He is the least of our worries.

At least Hyman scored the big OT goal and Kane scored the late 3rd period goal against LA. Nuge on the other hand....
But definitely need alot more from each of them if we want to make it far in these playoffs.
Our power play is >50% RNH plays on that power play, he's doing fine.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You don’t take vinny out at this point. Demers is toilet paper to me - not even worth the discussion. Broberg and vinny are deplorable differently (eye test). Vinny is being asked to go against harder comp than broberg and in more defensive settings. If you give broberg his assignments, expect am even worse showing imo.

We have who we have and you have to deal with vinny’s growing pains.

The man needs to drop the mitts though. Idc if there is a willing combatant, just dummy someone.

I disagree with your opinion on Vinny and Broberg. How will Broberg be even worse than Vinny? Vinny has looked like a minor league #7 Dman out there with no foot speed and no puck skills. Broberg has great speed, can play both sides and has puck skills. In his limited time, he played well. In game 4 against LA, he played more than Vinny if I remember correctly

How will dropping the mitts help Vinny deal his growing pains and how will it help him improve?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

With Nuge it isn't even the lack of offense that's a problem, it's the snails pace he's playing at. He's getting absolutely dummied whenever he's played C so far these playoffs because he's just getting turnstiled all over the ice while his feet are firmly planted still.

If McDavid and Drai are together again and RNH is expected to anchor a makeshift second line at C I can't help but seriously question Woodcorft's judgement. Nuge should be nowhere in the vicinity of playing C, especially when the rest of the wingers are also all playing like dog shit. This would be as bad of a move as playing Desharnais in a regular shift again.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
With Nuge it isn't even the lack of offense that's a problem, it's the snails pace he's playing at. He's getting absolutely dummied whenever he's played C so far these playoffs because he's just getting turnstiled all over the ice while his feet are firmly planted still.

If McDavid and Drai are together again and RNH is expected to anchor a makeshift second line at C I can't help but seriously question Woodcorft's judgement. Nuge should be nowhere in the vicinity of playing C, especially when the rest of the wingers are also all playing like dog shit. This would be as bad of a move as playing Desharnais in a regular shift again.
I agree... if Nuge and the rest of the top6 were pulling their weight, then playing McDrai together is doable. But when they are struggling like they are... it's better off to split up McD and Drai and have them each run their own line. I don't get why Nuge is not moving his feet well.. it's not like he is a slow player. Obviously the pace is higher and there is less room out there during the playoffs... but he should have the skill, IQ, and skating ability to get around well.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
We need to play our offensive game, and not be dunderheads on simple rush coverage and net front coverage. Two tip goals with zero of our players around the scorer, and two wide open cross ice pass rush goals with so much time for the shooter. Don't have to be perfect defensively, but don't let them get away with the easy ones. We can win the offensive battle, no doubt there. Just have to eliminate the easy GA's. Be nice for Skinner to be the better goalie by a wider margin against Brossoit too.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree... if Nuge and the rest of the top6 were pulling their weight, then playing McDrai together is doable. But when they are struggling like they are... it's better off to split up McD and Drai and have them each run their own line. I don't get why Nuge is not moving his feet well.. it's not like he is a slow player. Obviously the pace is higher and there is less room out there during the playoffs... but he should have the skill, IQ, and skating ability to get around well.

He gets in these funks occasionally where every aspect of pace involved in his game just falls off. Weak on battles, doesn't move his feet, slow moving and making decisions with the puck, slow to make defensive reads, etc. It's like the dial that controls every part of his game goes from 100% down to about 65% all at once.

He hasn't really had any of these this season until just now, timing of which couldn't be any worse.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
I disagree with your opinion on Vinny and Broberg. How will Broberg be even worse than Vinny? Vinny has looked like a minor league #7 Dman out there with no foot speed and no puck skills. Broberg has great speed, can play both sides and has puck skills. In his limited time, he played well. In game 4 against LA, he played more than Vinny if I remember correctly

How will dropping the mitts help Vinny deal his growing pains and how will it help him improve?
Vinny is a physical, big d man. He needs to impose his will and a fight will help him with that. It will grt him more engaged and make the other team look over their shoulder more. A sword I will die on is the positive role physicality and fighting plays in hockey.

Vinny has played like a number 4/5 with a few jeff petry level mistakes. Broberg has played like a number 6.

I will defer to you and say broberg would perform better.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Vinny is a physical, big d man. He needs to impose his will and a fight will help him with that. It will grt him more engaged and make the other team look over their shoulder more. A sword I will die on is the positive role physicality and fighting plays in hockey.

Vinny has played like a number 4/5 with a few jeff petry level mistakes. Broberg has played like a number 6.

I will defer to you and say broberg would perform better. My mind has been changed and I say sit vinny and run broberg.
This post makes me think you aren’t even watching the games.

Reactions: Duke74 and K1984

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Moneypuck had us winning this game, if replayed, at 54%. Basically, you are dead wrong
Don't really care what Moneypuck says. If you think we played well, you are the one that's dead wrong.:D

RNH+Foegele+Yamo+McLeod skated around for a collective 61 minutes of ice time and couldn't get a single shot on net. Not good enough.
RNH had a good snooze though. Should have lots of energy for the next one.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
This post makes me think you aren’t even watching the games.

Don’t worry, I am full on the hfoil tradition of destroying a player’s confidence now. Vinny is crap and should sit - lets put in the new shiny toy and be surprised when he gets caved because he makes the same young dman mistakes.

All good though, back to lurking. Drivesaitl dont stop posting you are a light in the darkness.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Don’t worry, I am full on the hfoil tradition of destroying a player’s confidence now. Vinny is crap and should sit - lets put in the new shiny toy and be surprised when he gets caved because he makes the same young dman mistakes.

All good though, back to lurking. Drivesaitl dont stop posting you are a light in the darkness.

Odd that the other shiny toy has played very well every time he's been in the lineup to clean up Desharnais' messes.

Reactions: Duke74

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

He destroyed his own confidence. A handful of posters on a hockey forum didn’t do anything. He’s a rookie so you are right he’s going to make mistakes but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be sat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad