Post-Game Talk: Slow start and dumb plays sewer Game 1

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If the Oilers weren't gunning for a Stanley Cup then have at it, but we're entering a critical game we must win. Holloway hasn't shown anything this year that says he's ready for NHL playoff hockey.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that he also has a tendency to take bad penalties. So far I see:

Pros:

Skates fast
Bigger body
Slight possibility that he finds a spark and realizes his potential

Cons:

Bad in his own end
Poor puck manager
Takes penalties

So basically all the traits that have killed us so far in this playoff. I just don't get the opinion that he should be in for a second.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Go read my post history I said this almost exactly word for word before the playoffs started and was attacked by tons of people for not knowing the game at all.

Hilarious. Good post.

Playoffs are not for rookie d-men unless that d-man has a really high ceiling with lots of inate talent.

That's just all it is.

Oilers coaching and management simply does not understand this concept.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Well maybe last night. But Brobergs been playing 3 mins a game generally speaking. Its like they are afraid to use him. Yet not afraid to use VD despite his struggles.

Yet both times Desharnais blew up Broberg stepped in and didn't miss a beat.

Reactions: bone

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Broberg will probably shit the bed too if you ramp up his minutes.

Vegas would certainly zero in on him and target him and I don't blame them.

It's not a fair position to put a kid with 69 NHL games experience (Broberg and Desharnais I believe have the least NHL experience of almost any D left for any team and they're both on our team, lol).

The Oilers are dumb for putting themselves in this position. I could be wrong but I believe no other team left in the playoffs has more than 1 D-Man who has less than 200 games NHL experience ... the Oilers meanwhile have 3 of them, lol. Like great planning guys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that he also has a tendency to take bad penalties. So far I see:
Pros:
Skates fast
Bigger body
Slight possibility that he finds a spark and realizes his potential

Cons:

Bad in his own end
Poor puck manager
Takes penalties

So basically all the traits that have killed us so far in this playoff. I just don't get the opinion that he should be in for a second.
Curious if this is your opinion just of him right now or going forward in general.

The player has had many moments with the puck where you double check who that guy is and he's pretty sexy with the puck, and can make some plays when he is on. Your assessment of him if at all accurate would have resulted in him never being drafted.

Holloway is also strong, can battle and its time for him to get usage. For some reason we have a dolt like Yama getting constant action when offensively Holloway is really everything we would want Yama to be. But that disguised by such limited minutes and game usage. A player like Yams has had endless chances, pulju too. When is Holloway getting his? You can't even call that a rook season he had such limited minutes and he's turning 22 in the summer. Its time. What are we just gonna park this player till he's 25 because we have such better options. ? (sarcasm)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jason Demers seems like a no Brainer. The guy has experience and there is no way he is worse than Our 2 rookies right now.

Don't think he has any gas left in the tank, if they were going to go to him they should have played him more with the group in the regular season.

Not getting a vet D for peanuts at the deadline was a really dumb move.

Curious if this is your opinion just of him right now or going forward in general.

The player has had many moments with the puck where you double check who that guy is and he's pretty sexy with the puck, and can make some plays when he is on. Your assessment of him if at all accurate would have resulted in him never being drafted.

Holloway is also strong, can battle and its time for him to get usage. For some reason we have a dolt like Yama getting constant action when offensively Holloway is really everything we would want Yama to be. But that disguised by such limited minutes and game usage. A player like Yams has had endless chances, pulju too. When is Holloway getting his? You can't even call that a rook season he had such limited minutes and he's turning 22 in the summer. Its time. What are we just gonna park this player till he's 25 because we have such better options. ? (sarcasm)

His time is next year when he's an actual regular NHL player (and if can't even make that cut off then forget even that).

In this series Vegas will likely target him hard and wait for the turn overs to start.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Just right now. I think he'll be a player, but I think there's a very small chance at best that he actually finds a game that is impactful if he gets thrown in right now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

It's not a fair position to put a kid with 69 NHL games experience (Broberg and Desharnais I believe have the least NHL experience of almost any D left for any team and they're both on our team, lol).

The Oilers are dumb for putting themselves in this position. I could be wrong but I believe no other team left in the playoffs has more than 1 D-Man who has less than 200 games NHL experience ... the Oilers meanwhile have 3 of them, lol. Like great planning guys.
Good post. Much as i'm on board with the Bro insttead of Vinny, or at least getting more minutes the Vegas forecheck and physicality would be a big problem for Broberg and even in select usage in this series Bro would be getting mins vs say Vegas 4th line which is a hunt and seek murderers rows. So that you can't just shelter Bro of Vinny in this series. All the Vegas lines can dig down and get you hemmed in.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Don't think he has any gas left in the tank, if they were going to go to him they should have played him more with the group in the regular season.

Not getting a vet D for peanuts at the deadline was a really dumb move.

At this point we know since they aren't yet ready to pull Desharnais because of handedness and PK, but need to dress a 7th guy, for when he blows up.

Why not make Demers the 7th guy and give him spot duty in that first game and if he's up to the task, he takes more of the minutes away. Demers has killed penalties most of his career so if he can also be an option there which they seem unwilling to try with Broberg.

Now I understand that Demers isn't a great option, but going back and forth between two rookies, one of which has gotten into trouble regularly and the other doesn't seem to have their trust to hit double digit minutes, isn't a great option either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At this point we know since they aren't yet ready to pull Desharnais because of handedness and PK, but need to dress a 7th guy, for when he blows up.

Why not make Demers the 7th guy and give him spot duty in that first game and if he's up to the task, he takes more of the minutes away. Demers has killed penalties most of his career so if he can also be an option there which they seem unwilling to try with Broberg.

I mean shrugs I don't even know at this point. Such a stupid situation to have placed your team into for no good reason, even if Woodcroft (a young coach) was lobbying for this thinking it would be OK, Holland as an experienced manager should know better.

Not only that we literally went through this with Ethan Bear killing the team with back breaking goals against that cost us dearly in two playoffs just recently.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yet both times Desharnais blew up Broberg stepped in and didn't miss a beat.
Just play Broberg more than Vinny and there won't be blow ups

Incorrect. Broberg has skating ability and way better puck skills than Vinny. He also has better hockey IQ and a better way of getting himself out of bad situations. 2 goals last night were directly because of Vinny last night. In these playoffs, Oilers have allowed 7 goals and scored 2 goals when Vinny has been on the ice.

So tell me what risk there is in putting Broberg over him? It's not like your losing a huge asset.

I find it strange that VD seems to have such a long rope but Broberg doesnt. You would think it would be the opposite since Broberg is their prized rookie.

Guess they like that VD is tight with several players where as Broberg is more quiet/calm type? Well they could probably use more of the calm/quiet type on the back end.
Idiotic to be honest

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just play Broberg more than Vinny and there won't be blow ups

Incorrect. Broberg has skating ability and way better puck skills than Vinny. He also has better hockey IQ and a better way of getting himself out of bad situations. 2 goals last night were directly because of Vinny last night. In these playoffs, Oilers have allowed 7 goals and scored 2 goals when Vinny has been on the ice.

So tell me what risk there is in putting Broberg over him? It's not like your losing a huge asset.

Broberg will probably shit the bed in his own ways, but at this point sure try it.

It's not fair that we are putting these players in situations way above their head.

If I'm Vegas like I said I'm very clear in gathering the team around and saying no. 73, no. 86 on the Oilers have no experience .... hit the shit out of these guys, forecheck, speed, pressure them at all times, they will make mistakes.

Would be nice if other teams gave us freebies to game plan against like that.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why would he shit the bed? In his play in the playoffs, he hasn't done it once. He's also not even playing his side and doing well there. There is no problem in giving him a chance. He has a way higher ceiling than Vinny too

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Oiler fans will do to Skinner exactly what they did to Dubnyk and they will regret it. The garbage being spewed against is uncalled for. He hasn't been his best but neither has our defence and the whole team for that matter.

The giveaways at both blue lines and transitional play Vegas had on us killed us. It wasn't only Skinner

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Go read my post history I said this almost exactly word for word before the playoffs started and was attacked by tons of people for not knowing the game at all.

Hilarious. Good post.
Yup, and I think Woody's ego is what's keeping him in the lineup. If rumors are true about him veto'ing a trade to bring in a RD at the deadline in favor of this guy, it makes a lot of sense why he continues to play on a limitless leash.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
We saw a we www a
This is gonna sound horrendously biased but I don't care.

That too many men call was BS. Nobody wants to see that to end a game. They took an exciting finish and called it on a technicality.

I mean its really rich of the NHL to watch the Trouba hit on Meier and say "play on" but see us out there with too many guys for 5 seconds and scream penalty.

Call a f***ing spade a spade. Just ruins everything.

Anyway, bad effort by everyone execpt Draisaitl. Skinner kept us within striking distance. We never win GM1 anyways. On to the next.
99/100 times that play is not called.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oiler fans will do to Skinner exactly what they did to Dubnyk and they will regret it. The garbage being spewed against is uncalled for. He hasn't been his best but neither has our defence and the whole team for that matter.

The giveaways at both blue lines and transitional play Vegas had on us killed us. It wasn't only Skinner

Rookie D shit the bed. Like puppies, it just is what it is. Playoffs and rookie D don't mix.

Even last year, Bouchard probably cost us game 3 of the Avs series by getting manhandled off the puck for the game winning goal, which basically sealed the series for Colorado.

The intensity is too high for young D, Ethan Bear looked OK here too ... until the playoffs started.

The problem in the playoffs I think aside from intensity is the moment an opposing coach game plans specifically for your team, when ever they see inexperienced D they're going to single that out as something to try and exploit.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Oh stop. No one is running him out of town.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Hilarious. Good post.
Yep. You were called all kinds of names for that. When I was calling out Desharnais for completely losing his mind at end of game 1 and showing his unchecked colors I got called out too. It was a display in which Desjardins was raging at officials, pointing his finger around like he's mad, everything but slash throat gestures. I called it an embarassing display. Moreso because nobody stopped him, nobody said cool it, not even the coaches motioned. Desharnais lost his mind that night and it hasn't returned since. he's been in a continual state of anger on the ice basically corkscrewing himself into the ice. Its a real weird look and unfortunately his lack of control and composure has deepsixed the only NHL shot he probably gets. He deserves to be scratched. He's deserved that since game 1 of playoffs and frankly the dropoff in his play was seen before playoffs as well.

But we were "scapegoating" Desharnais. No, we assessed earlier that he's a tirefire defensively. he's a liability. One of the biggest still in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yep. You were called all kinds of names for that. When I was calling out Desharnais for completely losing his mind at end of game 1 and showing his unchecked colors I got called out too. It was a display in which Desjardins was raging at officials, pointing his finger around like he's mad, everything but slash throat gestures. I called it an embarassing display. Moreso because nobody stopped him, nobody said cool it, not even the coaches motioned. Desharnais lost his mind that night and it hasn't returned since. he's been in a continual state of anger on the ice basically corkscrewing himself into the ice. Its a real weird look and unfortunately his lack of control and composure has deepsixed the only NHL shot he probably gets. He deserves to be scratched. He's deserved that since game 1 of playoffs and frankly the dropoff in his play was seen before playoffs as well.

But we were "scapegoating" Desharnais. No, we assessed earlier that he's a tirefire defensively. he's a liability. One of the biggest still in the playoffs.

Inexperienced D just suck in the playoffs, why are we even acting that surprised.

MAB probably cost us the Cup in 2006.

Nurse probably cost us game 5 vs. Anaheim in 2017 (though the refs bought Kesler's antics)

Bear completely shat the bed against both Chicago and Winnipeg, cost us at least a game per series if not more.

Bouchard had a pretty good playoffs last year, but even him, he cost us game 3 against the Avs and a chance to get into the series.

Desharnais ... welp.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad