Slovan Bratislava 2014/2015 season talk - Part II

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Look where the KHL was when it first started and where it is now. It is a huge improvement.

Don't want to start a major offtopic but is it? With half of the teams on the edge of collapse, still non-existent salary cap or any kind of parity where rich became even richer and 5 teams have a shot at the title? Huge improvement, really? I could make a really nice post how it has deteriorated but whatever. I guess it's all about HD cameras nowadays.

loppa*

Don't want to start a major offtopic but is it? With half of the teams on the edge of collapse, still non-existent salary cap or any kind of parity where rich became even richer? Huge improvement, really?

Sure. You would not have imagined Slovan in the league when the league started. Same for some others.

And then there is improvement of quality I think, plus, some new improved arenas. Slow stuff, rising attendance, it's good. It's a bumpy road, we're in a bumpy patch now, hopefully Slovan doesn't fall off during this turbulence!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sure. You would not have imagined Slovan in the league when the league started.

I wouldn't have imagine that Riga will struggle to survive year after year either. Also, I can't imagine Slovan kicking out SKA or Dynamo in the playoffs which is something what used to happen long time ago, you know, in the years before the huge improvement.

loppa*

I wouldn't have imagine that Riga will struggle to survive year after year either. Also, I can't imagine Slovan kicking out SKA or Dynamo in the playoffs which is something what used to happen long time ago, you know, in the years before the huge improvement.

Slovan never played SKA in the playoffs.

As for teams struggling to survive - well they struggle, but they do survive. Hence I am confident that we will see Slovan and others in next season.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Slovan never played SKA in the playoffs.

As for teams struggling to survive - well they struggle, but they do survive. Hence I am confident that we will see Slovan and others in next season.

Cpt. Obvious, is that you? Riga did, which is kinda similar team in both concept and actual strength on ice. What I meant is that Slovan gives the league very little from competitiveness standpoint and the only benefit to have them in the league is, well, to have them be in the league. It used to be different and I liked the league back then way more.

Well Atlant is already under 3 (4?) years after Gagarin Cup final appearance so yeah, your confidence is not misguided at all.

loppa*

Cpt. Obvious, is that you? Riga did, which is kinda similar team in both concept and actual strength on ice. What I meant is that Slovan gives the league very little from competitiveness standpoint and the only benefit to have them in the league is, well, to have them be in the league. It used to be different and I liked the league back then way more.

Well Atlant is already under 3 (4?) years after Gagarin Cup final appearance so yeah, your confidence is not misguided at all.

Unlike slovan dropping out, the prospect of atlant dropping out is actually good for the league.

loppa*

And a team in Serbia is good too, right? Nice talking to you, I will show myself out now.

Serbia and the KHL have nothing in common.

A lower league is a different story, lets not mix stuff up.

Also, Medvescak joining the league shows that a non-hockey country can join the league. Considering that Slovan is in the capital city of a hockey country, they better stay.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
http://sport.sme.sk/c/7837896/slovan-bratislava-prisiel-o-zlateho-partnera.html

Slovan lost a "golden partner" - Transpetrol - Slovakian company. Of course, as stated in the article - they have interrupted the cooperation because Slovan still don't know where they play next season, and that it might be only temporarily; the company will continue in the case of staying in the KHL. However, such a company would have never left if they had not information that Slovan will really play in the KHL next season. So I guess it is clear now. Slovak League, welcome.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
where does money come from, i wonder

According to google translate, a private Russian investor. To correct the few postersm even the translation said club officials are going to travel to Russia in a few days to try and finalize it. If that goes accordingly, they could make it official on the 18th. They better hope that investor has no ties to anyone on the sanctions list, European banks are very careful to not get involved with anyone on that list. Jokerit are forced to switch banks away from Finalnd because they were having issues with money transfers due to Jokerit ownerships ties to people on the sanctions list.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
According to google translate, a private Russian investor. To correct the few postersm even the translation said club officials are going to travel to Russia in a few days to try and finalize it. If that goes accordingly, they could make it official on the 18th. They better hope that investor has no ties to anyone on the sanctions list, European banks are very careful to not get involved with anyone on that list. Jokerit are forced to switch banks away from Finalnd because they were having issues with money transfers due to Jokerit ownerships ties to people on the sanctions list.
well, they slap russia with sanctions and our investors sponsor their team? i mean it's a common trend, but that doesn't make it any less stupid for me. what a farce. bad for russia, good for them, i guess.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Great news! :handclap:

For foreign fans it is. But here in Slovakia is Slovan even more hated as before.
Another domestic teams have big financially issues, some of them will maybe gone (Skalica).

And our prime minister travel to Russia to search money for Slovan, what is actually a team owned by J. Siroky. The bilionare. I cant imagine, that he own couldnt find 13 mil. € to push it to KHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
well, they slap russia with sanctions and our investors sponsor their team? i mean it's a common trend, but that doesn't make it any less stupid for me. what a farce. bad for russia, good for them, i guess.

Nah, I think it's good for Russia as well. Sanctions come and go, and hockey remains. And btw it means that someone will help the Slovakian team instead of buying another house in London or French Riviera.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Nah, I think it's good for Russia as well. Sanctions come and go, and hockey remains. And btw it means that someone will help the Slovakian team instead of buying another house in London or French Riviera.
that's where we disagree. i actually believe they won't go away any time soon. they will be there for decades.

loppa*

For foreign fans it is. But here in Slovakia is Slovan even more hated as before.
Another domestic teams have big financially issues, some of them will maybe gone (Skalica).

And our prime minister travel to Russia to search money for Slovan, what is actually a team owned by J. Siroky. The bilionare. I cant imagine, that he own couldnt find 13 mil. € to push it to KHL.

There will always be haters. Too bad for them. I know a slovak guy from the east of the country who does not like anything to do with Bratislava, the guy simply does not like Western Slovakia. We have to disregard such opinions.

At the same time, does it matter how the money is gotten? Look at it like this: the Russians got milked for a lot of money. Who cares how they got milked, the point is that they got milked.

Jussi then is apparently a very smart and clever person. :D

I was once tricked into thinking that he was smart too. Then I realized it's not so, it's just continual criticism. He admitted it himself, that progress is only brought through criticism. Now, any graduate student can tell you that they would probably fail their graduate studies if their advisor only gave unconstructive criticism, without any word of goodness.

that's where we disagree. i actually believe they won't go away any time soon. they will be there for decades.

Sanctions or not, Russia will still have a lot of money. It's a rich country. The big question is how long will they be willing to fund Slovan? If the news article is three years, then I would hope that the Slovak side gets their stuff in order by then, so that the Russians won't lose patience.

Slovan is not this thing called Medvescak... they are known to not be able to compete without Russian money, but Slovan is expected to live without Russian money at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad