Slovan Bratislava 2014/2015 season talk - Part II

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The probabilty that Slovan "will not play anywhere" is exactly 0%. There's no such thing. Really, I'd only expect to hear such a hypothesis from a newbie hockey fan. Slovan is not Yaroslavl struck by a plane disaster, so of course they will play in the crappy Slovak league (you don't need a quality team for it, any lineup will do) if they fail to collect enough money for the KHL.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
The probabilty that Slovan "will not play anywhere" is exactly 0%. There's no such thing. Really, I'd only expect to hear such a hypothesis from a newbie hockey fan. Slovan is not Yaroslavl struck by a plane disaster, so of course they will play in the crappy Slovak league (you don't need a quality team for it, any lineup will do) if they fail to collect enough money for the KHL.

Let's hope that the probability of it is really that small, however it is not 0%. This hypothesis has been discussed quite seriously among veteran supporters with some information from the club as well. So again, keep your impressions yourself.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Not buying ut, especially not the "from the club" part. Also, a message board is for exchanging our impressions, not for keeping them to ourselves. :shakehead

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
https://dennikn.sk/136546/siroky-neplati-najomne-na-stadione-jeho-slovan-dlhuje-400-tisic-eur/

Last week I was in a way mocked here by mentioning that there is a hypothetical chance of not playing at all next season. The article above illustrates that the club owes 400,000 EUR for leasing the arena at the moment, and if this is not sorted out then, ya, we might still play but in Ružinov which is the shi*est arena (it is not even an arena but rather a shed) in the world...

Babula

May 31, 2012
Why is not EBEL an option ? because of unfulfilled commitments from Slovan ??? Anyway I'd like to see Slovakian participation in EBEL...

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
Why is not EBEL an option ? because of unfulfilled commitments from Slovan ??? Anyway I'd like to see Slovakian participation in EBEL...
officially was told that slovak federation dont give ok. inofficially was told that level of EBEL is too low, and that not many fans would like it..
my opinion: joining EBEL would have required a final decison by slovan weeks ago.
as goal is still to continue with KHL, and they need more time (until june), the choice now with SK extraliga as alternative is the easiest to fullfill these strategy.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
https://dennikn.sk/136546/siroky-neplati-najomne-na-stadione-jeho-slovan-dlhuje-400-tisic-eur/

Last week I was in a way mocked here by mentioning that there is a hypothetical chance of not playing at all next season. The article above illustrates that the club owes 400,000 EUR for leasing the arena at the moment, and if this is not sorted out then, ya, we might still play but in Ružinov which is the shi*est arena (it is not even an arena but rather a shed) in the world...

So what have the two things in common? Nothing. Of course Slovan will play next season – the question never was on what ice rink it would play. By the way, Slovan had already spent a couple of full seasons in that shed, while the main arena was being rebuilt for the 2011 World Championships, so it's not like playing there would be anything new. And, for a crappy league like the Slovak league, that shed might actually be all that Slovan needs; the main arena, while very small, is almost too good for the Slovak league.

(PS: The Slovak league will especially remain crappy if Lintner fails to win the position of President of Slovak ice hockey in the elections next month. He just announced yesterday he'd be running next month, supported by Šatan, Bondra, Filc and others. Lintner has been very vocal in saying Slovan should return to the Slovak league, and Lintner & his team might perhaps be the only chance to improve the Slovak league in the foreseeable future. However, the chances are very good they will lose the elections next month, as all the ex-/post-Communist hockey cadres will be casting their votes.)

loppa*

Even in the worst case scenario that Sloven leaves the KHL for next season, the door is surely open for it to come back the following season?

I do get there are organizational problems... but that stuff should be temporary, not permanent, I would think.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Even in the worst case scenario that Sloven leaves the KHL for next season, the door is surely open for it to come back the following season?

I do get there are organizational problems... but that stuff should be temporary, not permanent, I would think.

Following season? no, that is very bad idea. If Slovan will go back to Extraliga, then he must again ask for permision to leave. And i hope, SZLH will have the guts, and will not give him that. If they want to play in KHL, they build your own team.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The elections next month will be crucial for Slovan, too, I'm sure. Does anyone know when in June they take place? It could be that Slovan only makes the decision for or against the KHL after the elections.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Laco Nagy believes that the club should make a final statement until mid June, and he wants to stay in Slovan (only in the KHL ofc). But he will also try NHL camp.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
http://www.slovanpositive.com/marke...de-podla-nich-pokracovat-aj-nadalej-28-timov/
Interview with the club's marketing director after the 2015 award ceremony in Moscow.
Some main points for our foreign friends:

KHL
He declared that the league should start on 24 August and end on 19 April at the furthest. Atlant shall be replaced by Spartak, the number of teams is expected to remain at 28 and so does the schedule system among conferences and/or divisions. I suppose this must have been mentioned on this board but whatever... :)

Slovan and Jokerit have both been praised for their marketing by the league, and also, according to him, there were no signs from Russian side that Slovan is about to leave. However, Slovan still urgently needs those missing money (I believe it is those 4M EUR) which are impossible to be find within Slovakian companies therefore Russian guarantees are needed. The good sign is that he mentioned it would not make any sense to continue with uncertainty like in last two seasons, thus getting into financial troubles after few weeks.

There is a schedule draw for Slovak League on 18 June, then he specifies they want to make a final decision between 10 - 15 June. So hopefully...

EBEL (& Czech League)
The EBEL was an option, and they had some productive and professional negotioations with the league's management. The main issue, however, has been that within this quite hectic period within Slovak Ice Hockey Federation (presidential election) Slovan's eventual application for EBEL and/or Czech League would have been dismissed by the association with the KHL as the only foreign option at the moment.

Squad
Playing Slovak League will amongst other things mean that no single player from current roster would continue in Slovan. In the contrast, in the case of staying in the KHL - for instance - Tičar, Jeglič, Sersen, Nagy have already expressed their desire to stay.

loppa*

The Russians would be morons if they let Slovan fall out from the league. They were morons for letting Lev fall out. :P

DenisB8

Dec 19, 2014
Vienna, Austria
The Russians would be morons if they let Slovan fall out from the league. They were morons for letting Lev fall out. :P
You are so right! I took 3 trips from Vienna over to Bratislava this season to check out some games, and I swear I have never been to hockey games this loud and with such an amazing atmosphere! The fans love the team, and losing a team like this, is very very bad for the KHL after the Lev situation.

loppa*

You are so right! I took 3 trips from Vienna over to Bratislava this season to check out some games, and I swear I have never been to hockey games this loud and with such an amazing atmosphere! The fans love the team, and losing a team like this, is very very bad for the KHL after the Lev situation.

That's because hockey is a joke over in Austria where you are, when compared to the KHL.

Slovan is not some gem stone. At the moment the arena and whatnot is amongst the better ones, but long term, they're not a great thing. At the moment they are, but they have no capacity to expand or improve that arena of theirs. And, 10,000 will in the distant future be the smallest rink in the league I bet.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
That's because hockey is a joke over in Austria where you are, when compared to the KHL.

Slovan is not some gem stone. At the moment the arena and whatnot is amongst the better ones, but long term, they're not a great thing. At the moment they are, but they have no capacity to expand or improve that arena of theirs. And, 10,000 will in the distant future be the smallest rink in the league I bet.

You are toooooooo optimistic about the KHL expansion (also in terms of its current infrastracture). 10k may be the smallest rink in maybe 15 years. No way sooner than that. :shakehead

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
loppa has played too many tycoon videogames. EXPAND, UPGRADE, UPGRADE EVERYTHING! This is real life, dude, most of the KHL teams can't plan for more than a season ahead, yet you think they should think about decades ahead? Your posts are seriously detached from the reality.

loppa*

You are toooooooo optimistic about the KHL expansion (also in terms of its current infrastracture). 10k may be the smallest rink in maybe 15 years. No way sooner than that. :shakehead

I was thinking at least 20 years, actually.

edit/add

loppa has played too many tycoon videogames. EXPAND, UPGRADE, UPGRADE EVERYTHING! This is real life, dude, most of the KHL teams can't plan for more than a season ahead, yet you think they should think about decades ahead? Your posts are seriously detached from the reality.

Look where the KHL was when it first started and where it is now. It is a huge improvement. Sure, that upgrade and expand did not happen in one season. And I don't expect it to. It's a long term project, it will take time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad