GDT: Slovakia vs the Czech republic - 3:20 PM (CET)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Czechs are changing very quickly and are making a NZ fortress... Slovaks have to ring hard and create a battle. Little flips in that the Czechs easily retrieve are no good.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hrubec with another beauty glove save.lol It's like he has 2 blockers.

Czech D is also hillarious.. off the glass and out.. repeat. We have zero control and just collapse around our shitty goalie. It's like we want to lose. Our forwards must be going nuts!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hrubec with another beauty glove save.lol It's like he has 2 blockers.

Czech D is also hillarious.. off the glass and out.. repeat. We have zero control and just collapse around our shitty goalie. It's like we want to lose. Our forwards must be going nuts!

Who tried that? Alex Montoya?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Panik got the look.

For how the goaltending went in the first, surprised that there was no further scoring.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Hmm. So exactly as I had predicted before the game: we won as expected, but nothing impressive, and Kari’s Fortress Hrubec was the nothing sandwich Czech fans feared. In conclusion, the question marks over some of Kari’s selections and non-selections very much remain, and any actual or potential future opponents at this tournament will not be too worried at the prospect of facing either of tonight’s teams. Still, I most happily take the W.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Huge win in the end as we need to avoid Finn's in quarters. Beating Slovakia was key for us for making the quarters as well. Clean W is very good and we avoided the U18 repeat from a month ago.
To my eye.. Slovaks were much more physical than us. We were a bit more skilled up front.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Huge win in the end as we need to avoid Finn's in quarters. Beating Slovakia was key for us for making the quarters as well. Clean W is very good and we avoided the U18 repeat from a month ago.
To my eye.. Slovaks were much more physical than us. We were a bit more skilled up front.
Finns may not be even better then 3rd in their group lol. Got kinda destroyed by US

• Haha
Reactions: kudla

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
This actually was a much more entertaining game than I expected. Slovakia was playing really good. Not only in terms of skating and physicality, but also their passes were often smart and creative. Hrubec didn't look good in the net for the Czech team, especially his glow saves were really wobbly. I expect Vejmelka or Langhamer to start vs. Kazakhstan.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Can’t play with potential quarter final opponents in mind. A lot can happen, look at the Finnish result tonight. I just want the team to focus, forget they need to trust Hrubec to back them (presumably), and play as well as they can each game to build confidence they then use in its full glory in the QF.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I am pleasantly happy with how we played. Czech top 6 is one of the best in the group, so not bad against them. Still, Nemec is badly needed. Also Sukel playing here is a joke. Dvorsky would be better, considering the amount of terrible mistakes Sukel makes

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Koch's hit on the czech player broke their brains.

I've noticed a lot of Czech comments about the supposed illegality (ref was right there, he saw it perfectly and it was absolutely clean) of Koch's great hit focus on the fact that the Koch made no attempt to play the puck. I mean like not just clueless people commenting on the internet and parroting what they heard somewhere, but also sports journalists in their articles.

Makes absolutely no sense. Makes me wonder, was something like this said on the czech broadcast? That it was illegal because Koch made no attempt to play the puck? Have they never watched hockey before? Do they not know the rules? It really just feels like they're grasping at straws - they know it wasn't late, they know it wasn't charging, they know he didn't raise his hands and they know their player was skating with his head down, so they made up some nonsense about not playing the puck.

In another bizzare turn of the events, the czech team even admitted that they proactively contacted the IIHF to review this situation, even though they do so automatically and input from teams is not required. As I said, that hit broke their brains.

I was also disappointed by the amount of vitriol from the czech posters in this thread and others, calling us butchers, idiots and using ethnic slurs, suggesting we are for some reason 'playing with rockets in our asses' vs them (whatever that means), when it was clear yesterday that it was the czech players themselves who were overly motivated vs us as evidenced for example by the guy who went to avenge the absolutely clean and good hit by Koch.

Reactions: tobu

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
czech posters in this thread and others, calling us butchers, idiots and using ethnic slurs,
2 options

1. go back in the thread and quote the Czech posters calling you idiots and using ethnic slurs.
2. go back in the thread and find the Czech posters calling you idiots and using ehtnic slurs and click 'report'.

'playing with rockets in our asses' vs them (whatever that means),
That's a complimentary term. In no way is it an insult.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
2 options

1. go back in the thread and quote the Czech posters calling you idiots and using ethnic slurs.
2. go back in the thread and find the Czech posters calling you idiots and using ehtnic slurs and click 'report'.

That's a complimentary term. In no way is it an insult.
I took it to mean that the game somehow means more to us than it means to them. I disagree with the notion.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I took it to mean that the game somehow means more to us than it means to them. I disagree with the notion.
It's not an insult. It's a compliment. I would tell son before a game to strap a rocket to his ass and move his feet.

If you feel insulted by that, that's on you.

Reactions: jcbio11

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Gotta say, I had no idea Czechs had a derogatory slur for Slovaks.lol I didn't even know that was a thing. I knew of the one for Romanian Gypsy's. Now I want to know what the Slovak one is for Czech people.haha Can someone PM it to me please

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Gotta say, I had no idea Czechs had a derogatory slur for Slovaks.lol I didn't even know that was a thing. I knew of the one for Romanian Gypsy's. Now I want to know what the Slovak one is for Czech people.haha Can someone PM it to me please
Cehun vs Cobol. For over 30 years. So not exactly anything too offensive. Maybe there are others but I am not aware of them. Needless to say, the Slovak “Cehun” is more humourless than “Cobol”, which is gently poking fun at Slovaks on the basis of the Slovak major in “Cerny Baroni” (co bolo, to bolo, etc.). As another “slur” (not really much of a slur), sometimes Czech internet comment section contributors deliberately annoy Slovaks by referring to them as “Hungarians”. No slur, just that, but given history and many Slovaks’ relationship with their Southern neighbours, many regard it as a slur. There is of course also the evergreen
“ovcomrd”, though I am sure that derives from the English term of endearment for Welsh people. It’s all in good humour, people should relax.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Cehun vs Cobol. For over 30 years. So not exactly anything too offensive. Maybe there are others but I am not aware of them. Needless to say, the Slovak “Cehun” is more humourless than “Cobol”, which is gently poking fun at Slovaks on the basis of the Slovak major in “Cerny Baroni” (co bolo, to bolo, etc.). As another “slur” (not really much of a slur), sometimes Czech internet comment section contributors deliberately annoy Slovaks by referring to them as “Hungarians”. No slur, just that, but given history and many Slovaks’ relationship with their Southern neighbours, many regard it as a slur. There is of course also the evergreen
“ovcomrd”, though I am sure that derives from the English term of endearment for Welsh people. It’s all in good humour, people should relax.
True story.. after reading of that word, I texted my Mom.lol She didn't know it either. I guess we are sheltered. Eg. we definitely know the one for Romanian Gypsies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad