Slovak Roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Riddarn said:
Great team! They will be a semi final contender, at least. The Slovakians always play great when they compete for their country.

Very true. If you are from Sweden, do you remember the 2002 WC semifinal. One of the greatest games ever in my opinion.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Nice forwards, but their defence and goaltending isnt' that great.

Chara's going to get a lot of ice.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Florida wanted Lasak but Nashville said that they will use LAsak as a back-up. 7 days later, they go and grab Mason in the waiver-draft from Florida.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dynamite set of forwards, mediocre defense and goaltending. Kind of like several of the teams in this tournament. If Lasak stands on his head and the defense holds it's ground Slovakia has a good chance at one of the top three spots. As the World Championships showed though, the Slovaks, with a roster very similar to this one for the World Cup can have their offense stifled. They're not very physical, and many of the forwards aren't exactly known to pay the price to score.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
12# Peter Bondra said:
Very true. If you are from Sweden, do you remember the 2002 WC semifinal. One of the greatest games ever in my opinion.

Yes I remember. It was a good game. I prefer watching the Slovaks over the Czechs. Both teams have the same basic systems and all, but for some reason Slovakian hockey is alot more fun to watch.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Dynamite set of forwards, mediocre defense and goaltending. Kind of like several of the teams in this tournament. If Lasak stands on his head and the defense holds it's ground Slovakia has a good chance at one of the top three spots. As the World Championships showed though, the Slovaks, with a roster very similar to this one for the World Cup can have their offense stifled. They're not very physical, and many of the forwards aren't exactly known to pay the price to score.

Very true on the part with the "pay the price to score" but Filc is a great psychologist who can get the players to play their best. Hossa isn't such a great motivator.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Riddarn said:
Yes I remember. It was a good game. I prefer watching the Slovaks over the Czechs. Both teams have the same basic systems and all, but for some reason Slovakian hockey is alot more fun to watch.

The best part was the Lasak save on Andersson in oT which should have been a goal. That was the save of the year in my opinion. Very important save.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Yeah, strange he isn't on the roster. The team could need som more reliable defensive minded players IMO.

He is also a good fighter and he can tease the opponents players to foul him. He is a Dan Hinote player. He would be great against Canada becuase they will surely tease our players. Petrovicky is also a worker along the boards. I would have icked him over Somik.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The story on Lasak is this:

at the beginning of this season, he was told that there would not be a spot in Milwaukee for him. Brian Finley was to share the starting job with Wade Flaherty, who could mentor the Preds "future goalie" in Finley. With that in mind...Lasak would have the opportunity to earn the backup role in camp. He started out pretty well...but then...it was the same old story...a soft goal... and his nerves are shot. He is, in terms of skill...probably good enough to be a STARTER in the NHL. Just look at his international record, including the World Champs...i think he had the best numbers in the tournement. He can be absolutely brilliant...but his drawback is that mentally...he stinks. He gets rattled way too easily, and once a goal that he should have had gets in...he's open for business. It's certainly something the right coach could probably work out, and I do believe that he'll get another shot in the NHL...and I did feel pretty terrible for him when we selected Mason in the waiver draft, because you could tell how heartbroken Jan was when it happened. He's got the tools, he's got the attitude...if he can just get the mental toughness to go along with it, he'll be a solid starter in the NHL for years to come.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
nomorekids said:
The story on Lasak is this:

at the beginning of this season, he was told that there would not be a spot in Milwaukee for him. Brian Finley was to share the starting job with Wade Flaherty, who could mentor the Preds "future goalie" in Finley. With that in mind...Lasak would have the opportunity to earn the backup role in camp. He started out pretty well...but then...it was the same old story...a soft goal... and his nerves are shot. He is, in terms of skill...probably good enough to be a STARTER in the NHL. Just look at his international record, including the World Champs...i think he had the best numbers in the tournement. He can be absolutely brilliant...but his drawback is that mentally...he stinks. He gets rattled way too easily, and once a goal that he should have had gets in...he's open for business. It's certainly something the right coach could probably work out, and I do believe that he'll get another shot in the NHL...and I did feel pretty terrible for him when we selected Mason in the waiver draft, because you could tell how heartbroken Jan was when it happened. He's got the tools, he's got the attitude...if he can just get the mental toughness to go along with it, he'll be a solid starter in the NHL for years to come.

Very true and correct. Lasak is still mentally a bit weak. The good thing is that
he didn't get any soft goal in the last 3 WC's. That's why he is so good. If he doesn't get a soft goal, he is great. But if it happens... then rather change goalies.

After the Brozne shootout, where he didn't save any player, he started crying and said that he should have saved at least 2 of them and you could see that he is metally very low. Stana and Orszagh had to cheer him up right after the shootout. He had his head in his hands.

It was cruel from Nashville to do that. Florida wanted him so why didn't they swap Mason and Lasak? They rather ruin Lasak and get Mason for free. Lasak even said that he won't never play for Nashville again.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
12# Peter Bondra said:
It was cruel from Nashville to do that. Florida wanted him so why didn't they swap Mason and Lasak? They rather ruin Lasak and get Mason for free. Lasak even said that he won't never play for Nashville again.

i'm not sure that there's much merit to the story that florida wanted lasak. at the time, they had mason and hurme...and trading mason and lasak wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. originally, florida had planned on JUST putting mason on waivers, but then the whole confusion happened and hurme AND mason were claimed. it wasn't "cruel" of nashville, it was necessary. Lasak was given the chance to earn the backup role, and he didn't do well enough. Mason was someone that had played in Nashville before, and was a more reliable choice...though with less upside. Mase played great for us, especially when Vokoun was out a few games with the flu. he absolutely stole a couple of games for us, including a game in which we came back from being down 2-0 against the avalanche with 8 people out of the lineup. The team needed a solid backup they KNEW they could count on...Mase was that backup, Lasak wasn't.

As for Jan saying he'll "never play for Nashville," I think that's probably only half his choice. Brian Finley is getting closer to moving up to the NHL to start backing Vokoun(probably after another season or at most two) and then Finland's Teemu Lassila will come over to be the starter in Milwaukee. Those are our two future goaltenders, and there simply isn't a spot for Jan, anymore...though the Nashville fans liked him and wish him luck.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
12# Peter Bondra said:
I hope we challenge Canada. In the 96 WC we lost only 3-2. Now we have a far better team but I think that Canada has a better team too. I hope we finish 3rd but it all depends on how the Russians get on with each other. If they play as a team, they could finish even 1st in the group, but if they play forthemsleves then I think they will finish 4th.

Agreed. I hope when Slovakia plays Canada it's a really close game. For some reason, I always cheer for Slovakia when they're playing someone other then Canada. I don't know why. It's probably because I've caught their growth in getting better hockey players over the years. From what I remember in 1998 there was only Satan, Bondra, Demitra, Zednik, Palffy, Svehla, & Chara. Now there's quite a few new guys in a span of 6 years and I guess that is why I like them so much. They also played a very similar style as Canadian hockey in the World Championships which is more reason for me to like them.(or that's what Gary Green said and they did play very similar against Canada)

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
nomorekids said:
i'm not sure that there's much merit to the story that florida wanted lasak. at the time, they had mason and hurme...and trading mason and lasak wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. originally, florida had planned on JUST putting mason on waivers, but then the whole confusion happened and hurme AND mason were claimed. it wasn't "cruel" of nashville, it was necessary. Lasak was given the chance to earn the backup role, and he didn't do well enough. Mason was someone that had played in Nashville before, and was a more reliable choice...though with less upside. Mase played great for us, especially when Vokoun was out a few games with the flu. he absolutely stole a couple of games for us, including a game in which we came back from being down 2-0 against the avalanche with 8 people out of the lineup. The team needed a solid backup they KNEW they could count on...Mase was that backup, Lasak wasn't.

As for Jan saying he'll "never play for Nashville," I think that's probably only half his choice. Brian Finley is getting closer to moving up to the NHL to start backing Vokoun(probably after another season or at most two) and then Finland's Teemu Lassila will come over to be the starter in Milwaukee. Those are our two future goaltenders, and there simply isn't a spot for Jan, anymore...though the Nashville fans liked him and wish him luck.

From aGM's point of view, it was a necessary acquisition but from Jan's point of view, I think that he thought it was't fair. Nashville should release Lasak if they still have his NHL rights. It would end a chapter in his life which wasn't very successfull and he could get a chace somwhere else.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
big_steve said:
Agreed. I hope when Slovakia plays Canada it's a really close game. For some reason, I always cheer for Slovakia when they're playing someone other then Canada. I don't know why. It's probably because I've caught their growth in getting better hockey players over the years. From what I remember in 1998 there was only Satan, Bondra, Demitra, Zednik, Palffy, Svehla, & Chara. Now there's quite a few new guys in a span of 6 years and I guess that is why I like them so much. They also played a very similar style as Canadian hockey in the World Championships which is more reason for me to like them.(or that's what Gary Green said and they did play very similar against Canada)

Chara couldn't have been in the NHL. He was in the WHL in 1998. Maybe you watched him there but he wasn't in the NHL then.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Nobody can question the offensive abilities of the team but...

Well, the defence is suspect and the goaltending is brutal.

I can't help but think that stronger teams will pick apart a goaltender who hasn't been able to secure an NHL job.

guitaraholic*

I find it odd that Lubos Bartecko hasn't been able to stick in the NHL. He has NHL level skills, especially along the boards. In the right situation I still think he could help at least 4 or 5 NHL teams I can think of off the top of my head. Certainly he'd fit in nicely in Minny, for example. His two way game could have been rather effective had a coaching staff taken time to develop it properly.

Just my opinion. And now, a banana: :banana:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
guitaraholic said:
I find it odd that Lubos Bartecko hasn't been able to stick in the NHL. He has NHL level skills, especially along the boards. In the right situation I still think he could help at least 4 or 5 NHL teams I can think of off the top of my head. Certainly he'd fit in nicely in Minny, for example. His two way game could have been rather effective had a coaching staff taken time to develop it properly.

He played well with Demitra and Handzus is St.Louis, but when he was seperated from his Slovak countrymen....... well, it wasn't so good. Same thing with a guy like Jan Hlavac. Put him with Nedved and Dvorak, and he's great, apart from them and he stinks.

Kings86

Nov 21, 2002
Santa Monica
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
He played well with Demitra and Handzus is St.Louis, but when he was seperated from his Slovak countrymen....... well, it wasn't so good. Same thing with a guy like Jan Hlavac. Put him with Nedved and Dvorak, and he's great, apart from them and he stinks.

He was in the Kings training camp this year and played pretty well, I think they offered him a two-way contract and he declined and decided to go back to Europe to play.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyman said:
This is a nice team. Good firepower on offense but I guess the defense is a bit weak...

Well...that's Slovakia. They're not strong on defense but there is a few prospects coming along (Barinka)

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Pretty good team, their offensive power can rival pretty much any team out there but they are going to need a strong tournment from Lasek.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
guitaraholic said:

I think he will go back to the NHL next year (If there is a season). He had a great WC. He was our 4th best attacker. He skated fast and in one game he was faster than Gaborik and Hossa!! He fought hard and although he had a broken shin or ankle, he played in the bronze game. He is a very good player and a fighter. That's why he was picked for the team. He had 2 or 3 off years but now he is getting into his old form.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Kings86 said:
He was in the Kings training camp this year and played pretty well, I think they offered him a two-way contract and he declined and decided to go back to Europe to play.

He said that if they offered him a one-way contract he would have agreed. Maybe it is good he didn't sign. Maybe the LA curse would get on him and he would be injured right now. I hoped for an All-Slovakia team before the season and before Strbak was dealt.

Bartecko-Stumpel-Palffy
Visnovsky-Strbak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad