Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
if Austria produces more NHLers then them in 5 years, then there is nothing but dark times coming ahead.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Since someone bumped this thread I decided to I give my quick thoughts on the past season.

U23 players signed to NHL contracts:

C - Martin Pospisil (Calgary)
C - Adam Ruzicka (Calgary)
W - Marian Studenic (New Jersey)
D - Erik Cernak (Tampa Bay)
D - Martin Fehervary (Washington)
D - Christian Jaros (Ottawa)
G - Adam Huska (NY Rangers)

Cernak remains the defenite bright spot. While his offensive production didn't pick up, he has solidified himself as an NHL'er. On a worse team he might be a top 4 guy.

Fehervary made his NHL debute, which is a positive. Not great production in the minors, but that was never the case with him in the SHL either.

Studenic and Pospisil had injury plagued seasons. While their numbers don't impress, both went on productive streaks towards the end. Studenic only had 4 points in his first 18 games, and Pospisil only had 2 points after 15 games.

Ruzicka was 0.5 PPG in his first pro year, which is good for a mid 4th round pick who was always seen as a project.

Jaros only played 13 games in the NHL which was dissappointing, but he had a strong AHL season and I think he's still on a fairly good road of becoming a bottom pairing defenseman.

Huska I won't really comment on. No goalie in Hartford except Shestyorkin put up any good numbers.

Unsigned drafted prospects:

C - Milos Roman (Calgary)
W - Maxim Cajkovic (Tampa Bay)
G - Roman Durny (Anaheim)
G - David Hrenak (Los Angeles)

Durny didn't play much but was signed to an NHL contract by the Ducks this offseason, which is always a good thing.

Cajkovic picked up his QMJHL point production from the season before, despite an injury plagued season. I'm confident he will be signed to an ELC eventually, and Hrenak should be a strong candidate too.

Roman played in the WHL as an older player, but yet fell in production. He picked up towards the end, but I doubt it's gonna be enough for a contract with the Flames.

---

Notable undrafted players:

W - Samuel Bucek
W - Adam Liska
D - Martin Bodak
D - Michal Ivan
D - Marek Korencik

I'd say all of these dissappointed, except maybe Liska. Just like last year, Liska started out hot but then fell off the map completely. On the other hand, none of his teammates scored more than 9 goals and he scored 8. Would be interesting to see him on another team, maybe in Liiga where other young Slovaks took nice strides. Filip Krivosik and Kristian Pospisil weren't even on my list prior to the season, but needs to mentioned now. Even though Pospisil is 24. The 25-year old Robert Lantosi should also be mentioned after a good first season in the AHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Boston signing him before next season.

---

The upcoming prospects I'll touch on briefly in another post.

Last edited:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Milos Roman is the biggest disappointment for me personally. From that group of 1999 year born players who looked and still look quite promising, he was number one for me 2 years ago. I really don't know what happened to him. Next season he goes to the Czech extraleague, I'm curious how he will stand out among the men, but he still has the potential. I would add Patrik Hrehorcak (next 1999) to your list. We expect a lot from him in Slovakia and he could have at least a decent European career. Already last season, which was his first among men, he was quite nice. The next season could already be part of the Slovak national team.

Reactions: Elvs

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks for the updates @Elvs. Milos roman to me is a also a big disappointment. When watching him as 16-17 year old I thought for sure he would be a top 6 2way forward in the nhl. Another player I would add is andrej kukuca who will play for dukla trencin next season. I’m hoping that the 99 class produces 3 nhlers.

Reactions: Elvs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huska I won't really comment on. No goalie in Hartford except Shestyorkin put up any good numbers.

Huska had a good rookie season in the AHL. The numbers show extreme splits before and after Shestyorkin was promoted, and that’s how it was for the whole team.

Huska was capable when he would get an easy matchup and wasn’t asked to do too much. He could keep the team in the game.

But without Shestyorkin, the team was terrible. The only reason they were good to start out the season was Shestyorkin. Once he was promoted, the team fell apart. The coaching was trash all-around, and that became exposed. Huska was asked to play every game on a team that was collapsing down the standings, and he was not at the level last season of a player who could do anything more than not lose the team the game.

I think he will improve in the upcoming season or two, and get better. He has a chance to be an NHL back up, but the stats are not indicative of the season he had, unless you look at them before and after he was thrust into the starters role.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Huska had a good rookie season in the AHL. The numbers show extreme splits before and after Shestyorkin was promoted, and that’s how it was for the whole team.

Huska was capable when he would get an easy matchup and wasn’t asked to do too much. He could keep the team in the game.

But without Shestyorkin, the team was terrible. The only reason they were good to start out the season was Shestyorkin. Once he was promoted, the team fell apart. The coaching was trash all-around, and that became exposed. Huska was asked to play every game on a team that was collapsing down the standings, and he was not at the level last season of a player who could do anything more than not lose the team the game.

I think he will improve in the upcoming season or two, and get better. He has a chance to be an NHL back up, but the stats are not indicative of the season he had, unless you look at them before and after he was thrust into the starters role.

Thanks for the insight! Goalies are hard to predict and to evaluate from stats. He could just as well be 91% next year, which is why I don't put much value into his numbers this year. Same with Durny, who was only a 88.1% in ECHL with a 4.02 GAA. Despite subpar numbers the Ducks like something about him enough that they gave him a contract.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
A few words on the upcoming prospects ...

Chromiak is the most highlthy touted, and expected to get drafted in the 2nd round. Hlavaj also ranks among the top goalies in North America.

I wasn't impressed with Knazko at the World Juniors, but think he should be a safe bet to be drafted anyway. In that tournament I liked the younger defenseman Stacha a lot better, but I worry he's still undetected and won't get drafted. But he should make a strong case next year if someone doesn't grab him now already.

I'm not sure about anyone else getting drafted, although Fatul being picked #3 overall in the CHL import draft should help his case.

I liked Mudrak and Okuliar at the world juniors, but both are olders players and thus they might get overlooked. Maybe some team takes Okuliar in the later rounds, as he could potentially help someones AHL team right away. Or he could be signed as a free agent.

All in all, I think we could see anywhere from 3-7 Slovaks selected in this year's draft. Most likely it will be four or five.

I don't know much about these guys, but Geci and Mykluhka seem to be on good track of getting drafted. It's a good thing as Slovakia is in desperate need of centers at the NHL level.

I'm not sure what's the deal is with Stefancik. According to Eliteprospects, it seems he'll stay on Luleå's U18 team next season, while Daniel Chovaniak (2022 draft) will be promoted to the U20 team.

Hopefully Stefancik also quickly earns a promotion next season. I'd like to go watch them both in Luleå next year, as it's only 40 minutes away from where I live. It'd be easier if they play on the same team.

These guys are still too far away that I won't really comment on them individually. But as a group there's some early signs this could be Slovakias strongest draft in many years. I'm mostly intrigued by Slafkovsky, Nemec and Elias. But Chovaniak being promoted to Luleås U20 team means he's on good track also.

Last edited:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
2021 draft: There are 2 players in Slovakia leagues who could really go in the last rounds. Marek Sramaty and Jakub Demek. This season they also showed it in the national team, but the next season will be important. Maybe they'll play among men. Stefancik may start in J18 Elit, but I think most of the season will be among the U20. There are still two interesting players in the Czech Republic who are quite interested in me. Robert Baco and Lubomir Kupco. Robert Baco presented himself as a decent power forward, next season it is quite possible that he will play among men in the Czech Republic. Lubomir Kupco will probably start among juniors and have a smaller chance of a draft, but his skating and shot really caught my eye. It is definitely an interesting prospect.

2022 draft: You mentioned the most interesting players. I would definitely add a pair of Adam Zlnka and Alex Rene Bartakovics to them. It looks like a pretty decent draft for Slovakia, but they still remain for 2 years. There are a few other boys, but we have to wait for the progress they will make during the season.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
2021 draft: There are 2 players in Slovakia leagues who could really go in the last rounds. Marek Sramaty and Jakub Demek. This season they also showed it in the national team, but the next season will be important. Maybe I'll play among men. Stefancik may start in J18 Elit, but I think most of the season will be among the U20. There are still two interesting players in the Czech Republic who are quite interested in me. Robert Baco and Lubomir Kupco. Robert Baco presented himself as a decent power forward, next season it is quite possible that he will play among men in the Czech Republic. Lubomir Kupco will probably start among juniors and have a smaller chance of a draft, but his skating and shot really caught my eye. It is definitely an interesting prospect.

2022 draft: You mentioned the most interesting players. I would definitely add a pair of Adam Zlnka and Alex Rene Bartakovics to them. It looks like a pretty decent draft for Slovakia, but they still remain for 2 years. There are a few other boys, but we have to wait for the progress they will make during the season.

Yeah I hadn't heard of Zlinka or Bartakovics when I first started this thread, but I've become aware of them since. I will update the original post before next season, and they will defenitely be on the list.

Reactions: hellwar9

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
A few words on the upcoming prospects ...

These guys are still too far away that I won't really comment on them individually. But as a group there's some early signs this could be Slovakias strongest draft in many years. I'm mostly intrigued by Slafkovsky, Nemec and Elias. But Chovaniak being promoted to Luleås U20 team means he's on good track also.

Thanks for your views on Slovakian prospects. I would like to see Slovakia getting better. Hockey is more interesting the more competetive countries there are.

That 2022 group looks good and I was wondering if you knew anything about Filip Mesar? You didn't include him among the prospects you were more intrigued by, but based on stat scouting Mesar had a good first year in Slovakia's U20 league. 41 points in 33 games, which resulted in 6th highest place in points as a 16 year old (turned 16 in January) and all those guys before him were much older. Even though Slovakia U20 isn't the most prominent league in the World, those numbers look very good.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Thanks for your views on Slovakian prospects. I would like to see Slovakia getting better. Hockey is more interesting the more competetive countries there are.

That 2022 group looks good and I was wondering if you knew anything about Filip Mesar? You didn't include him among the prospects you were more intrigued by, but based on stat scouting Mesar had a good first year in Slovakia's U20 league. 41 points in 33 games, which resulted in 6th highest place in points as a 16 year old (turned 16 in January) and all those guys before him were much older. Even though Slovakia U20 isn't the most prominent league in the World, those numbers look very good.
As of today, he is the 3rd or 4th best prospect of that birth year

Reactions: hellwar9

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

Trident from HK Poprad. Sotek - Mesar - Zlnka. All of them 04 born and very talented. Zlnka is in Finland btw and has solid first season for Assat. Mesar is small but probably best passer from our 04 group.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I hope no brighter times for svk hockey. Since they stole player from us and from ukraine, they are on my non-grata hockey list so much that I am cheering for canada when they are playing them and I never cheer for Can in any hockey game at any level.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Trident from HK Poprad. Sotek - Mesar - Zlnka. All of them 04 born and very talented. Zlnka is in Finland btw and has solid first season for Assat. Mesar is small but probably best passer from our 04 group.

I would like to know Mesar's up to date measurements. In Mesar's thread on this prospect board I saw 170cm, but that was from last Fall and I don't know where the poster got it. There are no measurement for him on EP, so I am very curious to find out his current size. I think it is quite remarkable that he is so small and achieved so much last season. All those guys in front of him in points were quite big and Mesar stands out as young and small guy. Of course, he's going to grow more and I doubt he's still 170cm, however, I don't think he'll be a massive guy, but if he gets to 180cm it's fine and above that is even better.

I am aware of Zlnka and hopefully he takes the next step next season. Sotek is a new name for me, looks like he too had a fine year in Slovakia U20. Do you have any more info on him?

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I would like to know Mesar's up to date measurements. In Mesar's thread on this prospect board I saw 170cm, but that was from last Fall and I don't know where the poster got it. There are no measurement for him on EP, so I am very curious to find out his current size. I think it is quite remarkable that he is so small and achieved so much last season. All those guys in front of him in points were quite big and Mesar stands out as young and small guy. Of course, he's going to grow more and I doubt he's still 170cm, however, I don't think he'll be a massive guy, but if he gets to 180cm it's fine and above that is even better.

I am aware of Zlnka and hopefully he takes the next step next season. Sotek is a new name for me, looks like he too had a fine year in Slovakia U20. Do you have any more info on him?

Filip Mesar has grown a bit over the season. I don't know the exact numbers, we will probably find out before the start of the next season. Both Filip Mesar and Alex Sotek are great Slovak talents. Sotek is physically better, he is definitely better prepared for senior hockey next season if he gets a chance, and it seems to me that he is a more hardworking and more universal player but when it comes to the game, overview, passes, hockey iq, stickhandling and technique, Filip Mesar has a big lead over Alex Sotek. He is really more skilled, thanks to that he was so good last season in U20.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I actually have a soft spot for the Slovakians, since I've known a couple passionate fans from there and I've heard others allude to it as 'Discount Czechia' by some (or imply it some other way). I'm really hoping the 2022 draft reshapes hope, as I am somewhat high on Slafkovsky and Nemec. I also think Sisik is a player to keep an eye on come 2023.

Reactions: degustator

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I actually have a soft spot for the Slovakians, since I've known a couple passionate fans from there and I've heard others allude to it as 'Discount Czechia' by some (or imply it some other way). I'm really hoping the 2022 draft reshapes hope, as I am somewhat high on Slafkovsky and Nemec. I also think Sisik is a player to keep an eye on come 2023.
It would be nice to have 2-3 consistent first rounders considering our last one was Marko Dano back in 2013.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia

The 2023 draft is still quite far away. I would wait another season. However Samuel Sisik could be first rounder, he is really speedy skater with good stickhandling and his playmaking ability is unreal. But he is not the only Slovak with potential for the first round of that year. Ondrej Molnar and Daniel Alexander Jencko look really good and they could also go high. Dalibor Dvorsky and Alex Ciernik also look promising. I'm not saying that everyone of them will go in the first round, but theoretically even in 2023 we could have 2-3 Slovaks there. What would be really amazing for a country like Slovakia if in 2022 and 2023 it had 3-4 players in the first rounds. The 2004 and 2005 births look perhaps the best in years.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Hope this is a back on track shift for Slovakia, I just hope at least 1 or 2 guys can pan out to be stars at the NHL level, of course you'd want as many NHLers as possible but i feel like Slovakian hockey really needs a star to break out and be the face of slovakian hockey.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't know much about these guys, but Geci and Mykluhka seem to be on good track of getting drafted. It's a good thing as Slovakia is in desperate need of centers at the NHL level.

Based on his last season , Myklukha is going to have to have a big bounce back season if he wants to be drafted at a decent spot if at all.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Based on his last season , Myklukha is going to have to have a big bounce back season if he wants to be drafted at a decent spot if at all.
Meh he had a good first 10 games than a bad last 10. I’m not as high on him as other Slovak users but a 20 game example in foreign league and country is not necessarily indicative of potential. Jack Quinn was just a 0.5 ppg in the OHL last year and now he is gonna be a top 15 pick. And he didn’t have to make any cultural or linguistic or ice adaptations. Myklukha showed at hlinka Gretzky cup last year what he can do against elite talent as he shut down top Russian and Swedish forwards and was PPG. He’s highly skilled just needs to add strength which will help his confidence in playing between the dots.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

The bolded part is why. I don't know much about him, and he could very well have the most potential out of any of the guys I meantioned. But right now, I feel like Slafkovsky and Nemec are more known commodity because of the leagues they play in. Elias of course is in the U20 league also, but I'm intrigued by him because he's a goaltender and Slovakia desperately needs to find someone to fill the void after Halak soon.

If Hlavaj or Elias doesn't pan out, Slovakia could be in deep trouble for a long time. Both are probably many years away from the NHL still, so they could already be in deep trouble for some time. Hopefully one of Huska, Durny or Hrenak can exceed expectations until then.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

He's not by any means a lock, but keep in mind he was a recently turned 17 year old when he moved to a different continent midway through last season. I imagine he wasn't very far up the Huskies depth chart, but with a handful of forwards moving on he should see more offensive opportunities next season. Again, he's not a lock to get drafted, but I think he's still a likely candidate, even if it may be in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad