Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
To be honest. There is a realistic possibility that there will be 0 Slovaks in the 2024 draft. It's still more than half a year and a lot will depend on the U18 WC, but this year I don't see a single riser there at the moment, like the last two years in the form of Sykora and Pekarcik. As for overagers. Molnar is not having a dominant enough season to be of interest to NHL clubs because of his personality problems. Urban's numbers are also nothing special and he is small. Jencko can get on the radar if he produces in the USHL at a higher rate than ppg. We'll see.

Baran is my personal favourite, but it's hard to say. He could make it to the WJC and show himself there. I personally think his chances are better than Chromiak's even though he has lower upside. Chromiak is still stagnant in my eyes, we'll see what he does in his new club, so far it's a small sample , but I don't see much improvement in Kingston either.

We'll be smarter in the spring, but I'd keep my eyes on that next year, 2025. Pobezal, Radivojevic and Chovan have a pretty good track and besides them there are other interesting names.
I agree, I think Baran is the best first time eligible player for 2024. But I still think Molnar is the best player who went undrafted in 2023, and is the best player at his position eligible. Baran would have to have a very strong WJC, not just playable but good. The BCHL usually only has 2-4 dmen drafted per year recently, and top producers even with good size don’t get taken. Hes one of the older players in the class like Chromiak.

Reactions: hellwar9

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I agree, I think Baran is the best first time eligible player for 2024. But I still think Molnar is the best player who went undrafted in 2023, and is the best player at his position eligible. Baran would have to have a very strong WJC, not just playable but good. The BCHL usually only has 2-4 dmen drafted per year recently, and top producers even with good size don’t get taken. Hes one of the older players in the class like Chromiak.
Why did Baran go to BCHL?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Im surprised you guys didnt mention Satan Jr. I really liked what i saw at the U18 tournament few weeks ago. He was our best forward maybe and he played as a center with Chovan and Svrcek. It was our best line. He should play in the USHL after new year so he can show what he can do against better players. Big dude 6'7'', center, good two way player and that name helps too

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t give up on Korec being drafted either. He has a good track record in the USHL, and at some point BC is going to have to give Fowler a rest. You can’t play a goalie literally every game of a season. Fowler could even miss a game or two because of the World Juniors. If Korec gets around five starts this season and does well, maybe he could be drafted. I can’t imagine he was far away from being drafted last season, considering Hrabal, Augustine, Gajan, and Fowler were 4 of the first 6 goalies drafted from the same league and his stats weren’t too much worse.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Why did Baran go to BCHL?
He’s there with Pitka, maybe they are close friends and both were on the path to play college hockey and that was the team who would give them good ice time and large role then maybe they’d get in the USHL?

I don’t want to assume anything though.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Derek Petrovic had a 4 assist game today in the U20 league he now has 6 pts in 6 games.

He is late 2008 born and already 184 cm tall he could be an interesting prospect.

Adam Nemec with another hat-trick today.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Damian Slavik may be something like "another Slovakian Gajan". He's been doing great in the OHL so far, even though he has a limited number of games, at least for now. Let's see if he will catch more in the next phase of the season. Anyway, I personally like him more than for example Samuel Urban and as a bonus he has better physical parameters.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Im surprised you guys didnt mention Satan Jr. I really liked what i saw at the U18 tournament few weeks ago. He was our best forward maybe and he played as a center with Chovan and Svrcek. It was our best line. He should play in the USHL after new year so he can show what he can do against better players. Big dude 6'7'', center, good two way player and that name helps too

Not this year. Forwards quality level is very high. But im sure, we will see him there. Maybe next year. And for sure, in season 2025/2026.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
I know the league quality is questionable but anyway T.Chrenko Jr. is now leading the U20-league with points and shots on a goal.

1.CHRENKO, Tomáš2007RSR MMNCE271524391,4426111194312100:00
2.ŽIVICKÝ, Patrik2003BBOLW272018381,411919051610600:00
3.DUNČKO, Juraj2003MHTRW242116371,5423104-51811400:00
NEMEC, Adam2007MMN RSRLW282017371,323061251210800:00
5.MALIŇÁK, Gregor2004POPLW271812301,111911063811100:00
6.PŠENKO, Benjamín2004SBALW261712291,12131411709500:00
ZUBEK, Patryk2007BBOLD27722291,07131508165300:00
8.GRIČ, Erik2003MHTCE20523281,4018721165300:00
9.LUPTÁK, Matej Ján2004SBARW231215271,17167414478000:00
10.DUBRAVÍK, Jakub2007ZIMLW241214261,0815926108800:00
ŠATAN, Miroslav2006RSR SBACE201115261,30177214124600:00
12.MIŠIAK, Alex2007ZVARW27141125

Nemec, Zubek, Dubravik and Misiak are also in the top 12

Last edited:

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Ok, it´s time to update my personal list of more promising Slovak prospects starting with 2025 draft and later. I wanted to do it a bit earlier as I promised before but I was pretty busy after New Year´s Eve so let´s do it now and also with short write-ups.

Top 10 ranking:

1. Max Melicherik (2029)
- this was the first time when I was thinking if I should place on the 1st position him or the player who is in the second position. But it´s stil Max who is a very rare talent similar to Slafkovsky. And Melicherik is even better than Slaf was in his age (Slaf was a poor skater in 13-15) - but he still has a long long way to go into the draft.

2. Luka Radivojevic (2025) - I was always pretty high on him but his progress in 2023 was incredible and surprised even me. Luka breaks historical records in the Swedish league and national team and I´m pretty sure he´s going to be 1st rounder in 2025. The best skater on this list.

3. Vladimir Dravecky (2026) - he´s thinking the game at a very high level and also his stickhandling technique is great. Only him and Simon Nemec managed to be a decent D-men in Slovak Extraliga in 15. Unfortunately his skating is just average but still at this moment he´s a clearly 1st round talent in my eyes.

4. Oliver Ozogany (2027) - one of my favourites for a long time and I see a ton potential here. After last season I´ve seen him play a much in tournaments and I was impressed a lot. He´s a full package, reminds me Dalibor Dvorsky a bit. I didn´t see his games in USA but his numbers are great there and I´m not surprised.

5. Matus Valek (2027) - completely different player than he was a one year ago. Talent always been there but then he grew up a lot and started to dominate in Slovak junior league like no one before. Not very speedy but excellent playmaker with very good hockey IQ.

----------------------------------------------------------------
the order on these next positions can be interchangeable

6. Adam Nemec (2026) - I put him relatively high in this ranking and reason is his size and projection as a pro-player. He´s strong, good finisher and also brings nice net front presence. He has a pretty good hands and also knows how to win board battles. But everyone knows his skating holds him back and he needs work on this a lot lot lot...

7. Tomas Chrenko (2026) - I can imagine him as a 1st rounder and also he has numbers like a 1st rounder. He´s great offensively, has a perfect hands and probably is the best stickhandler on this list, potential is here. But he´s not a complete player yet, has a muffin shot, avoids physical play and is poor defensively.

8. Tomas Pobezal (2025) - just two words here - stay healthy, please. Unfortunately, everytime when his game has an upward trend and improving is visible, injury is coming. That´s why I´m thinking his body isn´t builded for the NHL but otherwise Pobezal is extremely smart and talented player.

9. Michal Plancar (2026) - another player where I believed for a longer time that he could be on the rise and it´s happening. He has a great work ethic and character, always goes 100%. The best case scenario for him but quite possible - you can get the next Adam Sykora here but with the great size.

10. Tobias Tomik (2026) - here I have a bit hard time to judge him cause last season I saw him as a good goal scorer who cheated it defensively. I think his shot is good so I don´t understand why he´s not able to score more goals this season. He still needs to improve his defense but for example I like him more in shorthanded situations than on the powerplay which is a big surprise for me. Also is a good skater and potential is there although I´m not so high on him than some others maybe.

HM in alphabetical order:

Michal CAPOS (2025), Adam GOLJER (2026), Jan CHOVAN (2025), Timothy KAZDA (2027), Matus LISY (2025), Michal MARSALEK (2026), Samuel PISARCIK (2027), Juraj RAUSA (2027), Andreas STRAKA (2025), Michal SVRCEK (2025).

Last edited:

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Ok, it´s time to update my personal list of more promising Slovak prospects starting with 2025 draft and later. I wanted to do it a bit earlier as I promised before but I was pretty busy after New Year´s Eve so let´s do it now and also with short write-ups.

Top 10 ranking:

1. Max Melicherik (2029)
- this was the first time when I was thinking if I should place on the 1st position him or the player who is in the second position. But it´s stil Max who is a very rare talent similar to Slafkovsky. And Melicherik is even better than Slaf was in his age (Slaf was a poor skater in 13-15) - but he still has a long long way to go into the draft.

2. Luka Radivojevic (2025) - I was always pretty high on him but his progress in 2023 was incredible and surprised even me. Luka breaks historical records in the Swedish league and national team and I´m pretty sure he´s going to be 1st rounder in 2025. The best skater on this list.

3. Vladimir Dravecky (2026) - he´s thinking the game at a very high level and also his stickhandling technique is great. Only him and Simon Nemec managed to be a decent D-men in Slovak Extraliga in 15. Unfortunately his skating is just average but still at this moment he´s a clearly 1st round talent in my eyes.

4. Oliver Ozogany (2027) - one of my favourites for a long time and I see a ton potential here. After last season I´ve seen him play a much in tournaments and I was impressed a lot. He´s a full package, reminds me Dalibor Dvorsky a bit. I didn´t see his games in USA but his numbers are great there and I´m not surprised.

5. Matus Valek (2027) - completely different player than he was a one year ago. Talent always been there but then he grew up a lot and started to dominate in Slovak junior league like no one before. Not very speedy but excellent playmaker with very good hockey IQ.

the order on these next positions can be interchangeable

6. Adam Nemec (2026) - I put him relatively high in this ranking and reason is his size and projection as a pro-player. He´s strong, good finisher and also brings nice net front presence. He has a pretty good hands and also knows how to win board battles. But everyone knows his skating holds him back and he needs work on this a lot lot lot...

7. Tomas Chrenko (2026) - I can imagine him as a 1st rounder and also he has numbers like a 1st rounder. He´s great offensively, has a perfect hands and probably is the best stickhandler on this list, potential is here. But he´s not a complete player yet, has a muffin shot, avoids physical play and is poor defensively.

8. Tomas Pobezal (2025) - just two words here - stay healthy, please. Unfortunately, everytime when his game has an upward trend and improving is visible, injury is coming. That´s why I´m thinking his body isn´t builded for the NHL but otherwise Pobezal is extremely smart and talented player.

9. Michal Plancar (2026) - another player where I believed for a longer time that he could be on the rise and it´s happening. He has a great work ethic and character, always goes 100%. The best case scenario for him but quite possible - you can get the next Adam Sykora here but with the great size.

10. Tobias Tomik (2026) - here I have a bit hard time to judge him cause last season I saw him as a good goal scorer who cheated it defensively. I think his shot is good so I don´t understand why he´s not able to score more goals this season. He still needs to improve his defense but for example I like him more in shorthanded situations than on the powerplay which is a big surprise for me. Also is a good skater and potential is there although I´m not so high on him than some others maybe.

HM in alphabetical order:

Michal CAPOS (2025), Adam GOLJER (2026), Jan CHOVAN (2025), Timothy KAZDA (2027), Matus LISY (2025), Michal MARSALEK (2026), Samuel PISARCIK (2027), Juraj RAUSA (2027), Andreas STRAKA (2025), Michal SVRCEK (2025).

Thanks for doing these rankings they are always fun to read.

Do you think Max will play U18 next season? Also should he play for the U16 national team with the 2009 age group next year?

I only watch U20 so I cant comment on players that play outside of Slovakia or U18

T. Tomik is really frustrating player he has the tools to be number 1 on the list and even make it to the NHL 1 round. But he just cant score no matter what every shot he takes he misses the net. I cant believe I called him "sniper" during HGC.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Thanks for doing these rankings they are always fun to read.

Do you think Max will play U18 next season? Also should he play for the U16 national team with the 2009 age group next year?

I only watch U20 so I cant comment on players that play outside of Slovakia or U18

T. Tomik is really frustrating player he has the tools to be number 1 on the list and even make it to the NHL 1 round. But he just cant score no matter what every shot he takes he misses the net. I cant believe I called him "sniper" during HGC.

No doubt Max will play U18 league next season and he should get 1st line minutes there. Probably he'd get some few games this season already but he isn't eligible to play in that league because of the age.

National team next season for him is a good question. I see him as a important part for a older groups in the future (maybe even for 2008) but we'll see next season. Hopefully there aren't age restrictions there, I'm not sure. If not I expect him to be a part of a national team cause he's the only 2010 player who plays tournaments with the 2009 group. And he's a key player there.

I agree with Tomik he has the tools to be much higher in this ranking, so Chovan for example. But in their case I'm still waiting for a breakthrough to see them more often on the scoresheet because I'm not sold on them yet. But these two definitely could be the possible risers.

Reactions: Pazucha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad