Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The Slovak programme has been extremely impressive in the last few years especially considering their tiny player base. If they continue producing high end prospects like this they will catch up to Switzerland and Germany again and eventaually surpass them.

Did the Slovak hockey federation implement some specific reforms in their junior system to make this turnaround possible? Any insight from Slovak users would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Urban (G), Tomas, Eperjesi ((D), Zold and Misiak (F) ale the last cuts :):):laugh:
So the only unacceptable cut was Gabriel. Rest of these guys are same level imo, not really a difference makers. I am happy that Moško stays. I was little bit worried because his performance wasn't ideal yesterday (just like whole defense except Nemec)

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
The Slovak programme has been extremely impressive in the last few years especially considering their tiny player base. If they continue producing high end prospects like this they will catch up to Switzerland and Germany again and eventaually surpass them.

Did the Slovak hockey federation implement some specific reforms in their junior system to make this turnaround possible? Any insight from Slovak users would be greatly appreciated.
In like 2016 I think, there was a serious meeting at our hockey assotiation regarding the future. Im not exactly sure about all the changes, but I know that younger kids started practicing more. Whatever happened, our junior teams have clearly gotten better. But it was already clear 4 years ago that 04 birth year could be strong. I think our junior program has gotten better, but it's hard to predict whether we will keep producing very good players.

Reactions: Speyer

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
So the only unacceptable cut was Gabriel. Rest of these guys are same level imo, not really a difference makers. I am happy that Moško stays. I was little bit worried because his performance wasn't ideal yesterday (just like whole defense except Nemec)
Personally I prefer Zöld over Kopecky. One can skate and has some skill, the other is just a big body with last name

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

We need more sample years, to be sure, if it isnt a fluke.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
We need more sample years, to be sure, if it isnt a fluke.

Would you say that "Team Slovakia U18" that plays in your U20/second tier leagues had a noticable influence on your current prospect output or do you think its effects are neglectible? The reason that I ask is that similar concept was discussed for my country (Switzerland) but ultimately abandoned for multible reasons...

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Would you say that "Team Slovakia U18" that plays in your U20/second tier leagues had a noticable influence on your current prospect output or do you think its effects are neglectible? The reason that I ask is that similar concept was discussed for my country (Switzerland) but ultimately abandoned for multible reasons...
So far I think the program has had quite positive results. The problem with the orange 20 program is that it was in the top men’s league and the team would get beaten badly on most nights, this was compounded because of the best players playing in other nations. However with the u18 program, the hockey federation has taken more seriously focusing on puck skills and skating and not just “system.” Also gets the guys playing together and more familiar with each other. The u18 project plays against Slovakia u20 teams and second league teams. Therefore, the young guys can try more moves and daring skills instead of just dump and chase like it would be with orange u20 program. Watching this Slovak u18 team against Russia 2 days ago, they cycle puck and move it around very well, drop passes and such. That was more limited with previous programs. Also I think u18 program has helped with depth development. Now we have guys who are 7-8-9 forwards who still have good luck skills and can play, not just one line.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
So far I think the program has had quite positive results. The problem with the orange 20 program is that it was in the top men’s league and the team would get beaten badly on most nights, this was compounded because of the best players playing in other nations. However with the u18 program, the hockey federation has taken more seriously focusing on puck skills and skating and not just “system.” Also gets the guys playing together and more familiar with each other. The u18 project plays against Slovakia u20 teams and second league teams. Therefore, the young guys can try more moves and daring skills instead of just dump and chase like it would be with orange u20 program. Watching this Slovak u18 team against Russia 2 days ago, they cycle puck and move it around very well, drop passes and such. That was more limited with previous programs. Also I think u18 program has helped with depth development. Now we have guys who are 7-8-9 forwards who still have good luck skills and can play, not just one line.

Ok thanks for the insight. To me it sounds a similar programm could do a lot of good for the swiss junior national teams as well. Epecially a bigger focus on puck skills an making plays instead of dump ins could do wonders for us. Unfortuantely certain factors in swiss ice hockey will probably not alow it. Its kind of a shame since experts on junior hockey here have recomended an equivalent of the Slovakian programm or the USNDP for years.

Reactions: stastny12

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A lot of young slovaks go to NA, Sweden, Czech and Finland. Would it not be better for them to stay in Slovakia?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

But you should have some material in your hands. I think, the work was done 4-5 years ago with this generation. They have talent, they worked hard and you see the results.

Without talent it would be hard to accomplish something like this. SVK 18 in second league is good, but the real work is done in age between 12-15 years.

Reactions: hellwar9

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
This U18 team is really fun to watch. Really the whole first 3 offensive lines could be drafted (Slafkovsky, Repcik, Mesar, Zlnka, Petrovsky, Sykora, Molnar, Dvorsky, Ciernik). And I would add Gabriel to them, who unfortunately (we all know why) didn't make team. And from them even Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dvorsky, Molnar in the first round and maybe also Ciernik who knows. A really unbelievable generation and it's a pity that on WC U18, we are in a lower division.

I'm already looking to the next season and in this topic the current draft + the following two are discussed, so I would write the 10 best Slovak names for draft 2024 for now, which are worth watching next season, even though only Jakub Chromiak currently has real chance for draft for now.

1.Jakub Chromiak
2.Andrej Tomasec
3.Andrej Fabian Licko
4.Jozef Silhar
5.Tobias Faith
6.Theo Kiss
7.Markus Saxa
8.Peter Kovac
9.Dominik Drapak
10.Michal Liscinsky

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This U18 team is really fun to watch. Really the whole first 3 offensive lines could be drafted (Slafkovsky, Repcik, Mesar, Zlnka, Petrovsky, Sykora, Molnar, Dvorsky, Ciernik). And I would add Gabriel to them, who unfortunately (we all know why) didn't make team. And from them even Slafkovsky, Mesar, Dvorsky, Molnar in the first round and maybe also Ciernik who knows. A really unbelievable generation and it's a pity that on WC U18, we are in a lower division.

The question is, will it be better for them to continue their development in Slovakia /Europe or not? Previous generations went largely to CHL and ended up busts. They might also not have been as talented as these upcoming kids though but still the question remains.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
The question is, will it be better for them to continue their development in Slovakia /Europe or not? Previous generations went largely to CHL and ended up busts. They might also not have been as talented as these upcoming kids though but still the question remains.

From what I've seen, at least Zlnka and Petrovsky are currently better like Chromiak, Cajkovic or 99's when were at the same age. But good question, I don't think I have the answer, it is impossible to say which way is better and which is worse. We'll see in the future.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It worked out well for a few guys though. Cernak and Chromiak both greatly aided by move to CHL, as well as Okuliar (who wasn’t drafted but became much better player after going to WHL). I think looking at Cajkovic is a bad example as he has a bad attitude. Also guys like Petrovsky, Zlnka and even Repcik are imo very close or better at their age than any Slovak forward drafted in the nhl since Marko Dano. I’d take them all over Cajkovic and most over Chromiak and I’m a big fan of Chromiak.

On the 2024 draft, looks a bit weaker right now, but it’s very hard to gauge since guys haven’t played in so long. Let’s see what younger guys look like at u17 tourney

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Might be a bit of an odd thing to say, but does anyone else not like the Slovakian jerseys? Every time I try and watch them I struggle to track players around the ice and see player numbers and names on the back of the jerseys. The red lettering on the blue jerseys just really does not work well for my eyes. I don't have a problem with this for any other team I have ever watched but Slovakia.

That being said, Slovakia is seriously on the rise. Slafkovsky and Nemec are absolute beasts.

EDIT: Also, what are your guys' opinions on Adam Sykora? That kid has absolutely silky smooth hands and seems to just bounce off of checks every time he gets the puck.

Reactions: JotAlan

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Might be a bit of an odd thing to say, but does anyone else not like the Slovakian jerseys? Every time I try and watch them I struggle to track players around the ice and see player numbers and names on the back of the jerseys. The red lettering on the blue jerseys just really does not work well for my eyes. I don't have a problem with this for any other team I have ever watched but Slovakia.
Yeah, these jerseys are not great and Slovakia use them only for smaller tournaments and prep games. That´s why you can see the sponsors on them. Otherwise, they use a different type of jersey set.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
It worked out well for a few guys though. Cernak and Chromiak both greatly aided by move to CHL, as well as Okuliar (who wasn’t drafted but became much better player after going to WHL). I think looking at Cajkovic is a bad example as he has a bad attitude. Also guys like Petrovsky, Zlnka and even Repcik are imo very close or better at their age than any Slovak forward drafted in the nhl since Marko Dano. I’d take them all over Cajkovic and most over Chromiak and I’m a big fan of Chromiak.

On the 2024 draft, looks a bit weaker right now, but it’s very hard to gauge since guys haven’t played in so long. Let’s see what younger guys look like at u17 tourney
You sure, though? All the players you mentioned are pretty talented guys, but I don´t really see a difference between this group and group of players like Liska, Okuliar, Pospisil, Roman or Ruzicka.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
You sure, though? All the players you mentioned are pretty talented guys, but I don´t really see a difference between this group and group of players like Liska, Okuliar, Pospisil, Roman or Ruzicka.
Really? Maybe ruzicka but the rest don’t have the hockey iq that 2004 born guys have. Liska is literally a grinder now. Pospisil remains to be seen. Roman always had limited offensive upside. Oh and no.1 issue with the guys you listed: skating. Zlnka, Petrovsky, Repcik are much better skaters

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

That being said, Slovakia is seriously on the rise. Slafkovsky and Nemec are absolute beasts.

EDIT: Also, what are your guys' opinions on Adam Sykora? That kid has absolutely silky smooth hands and seems to just bounce off of checks every time he gets the puck.
Natural hard worker who won't give up a single shift. He has good tools and made fantastic progress, but Im not sure if he is gonna be a NHL prospect

Reactions: hellwar9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad