Slavin vs. Hamilton

Who is the better defenseman?

• Total voters

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Lock it up, one is quietly better, one gets all the national media focus.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think the fact that he's been so easily traded twice that it makes me want to vote against Hamilton.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The answer is Slavin.
Dougie generates some offense off of the PP. He has a good shot...sometimes. Bottom line is he really doesn't generate his own offense. Defensively, he is average at best.
Slavin is an elite defensive player, who, if he focused more on it , could generate much more offense.
To the poster who thinks Slavin is better with Dougie, give yourself a smack. Slavin is great, regardless of partner.

Reactions: bobc222

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There’s an argument for Hamilton in the regular season.

In the playoffs, there’s no debate and it isn’t the guy the got demoted to the 3rd pairing in a Game 7 OT because the coach couldn’t trust him defensively.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Slavin’s defensive analytics get worse when away from Hamliton where as Hamliton’s get better when he was away from Slavin. Hanliton can also play offense even though we’ve never seen Slavin in that type of role in CAR. Right now, I’d take Hamliton by a hair but it could easily flip next year if Slavin gets used more on the powerplay as a Hamliton replacement.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Slavin. Dougie is very good at contributing to the offense but what he does on the PP isn’t revolutionary. Canes pass the puck very well and he is part of that at the point but he’s not a play driver there. He has the ability to tilt the ice when he joins the rush and jumps in at the offensive zone though. That’s where you see more impact.

Overall Slavin is just more important and consistent. I take him and do t think twice even though he didn’t have the greatest year. He actually had good offensive instincts too but he just cares more about stopping goals.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
ITT:
One player breaks up 5 2-on-1's per game preventing goals: Meh
One player gets a secondary assist on the PP: God Tier top 5 Dman in the league

I think you should know this so you can stop looking silly, over the past 2 seasons Dougie without Slavin has a better xGA/60, GA/60, SCA/60, and HDCA/60 than Slavin does without Dougie. He also has a far better CF/60, xGF/60, GA/60, SCF/60, and HDCF/60. So Dougie without Slavin is slightly better at preventing chances and far better at driving offense...

Reactions: Prairie Habs

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think you should know this so you can stop looking silly, over the past 2 seasons Dougie without Slavin has a better xGA/60, GA/60, SCA/60, and HDCA/60 than Slavin does without Dougie. He also has a far better CF/60, xGF/60, GA/60, SCF/60, and HDCF/60. So Dougie without Slavin is slightly better at preventing chances and far better at driving offense...
I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. Hamilton's volume shooting approach make his underlying numbers look way better than he actually is.

Watch the two guys play and you'll understand why it's Slavin by a mile.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. Hamilton's volume shooting approach make his underlying numbers look way better than he actually is.

Watch the two guys play and you'll understand why it's Slavin by a mile.

That doesn't explain why his chances against are better and why the goal numbers themselves are better. Dougie is the better player.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Zone starts jump out when looking at the entire sample. In the limited time Hamilton was out there without Slavin over the past 3 seasons, he started in the o-zone ~54.4% of the time. Slavin started ~46.1% of his shifts sans Hamilton in the defensive zone. Far from a perfect stat, as NST doesn't calculate quality of competition, but that points to Slavin playing tougher, defensive minutes when Hamilton is not with him. That's going to have an impact on the stats.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
NST doesn't calculate quality of competition, but that points to Slavin playing tougher, defensive minutes when Hamilton is not with him. That's going to have an impact on the stats.
I'm so glad somebody mentioned this.

Slavin without Dougie is still facing elite competition.

Dougie without Slavin is going to be playing against second and third lines, since Slavin is taking the toughest matchups.

I think that may factor into why Dougie's numbers look so fantastic without Slavin.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That doesn't explain why his chances against are better and why the goal numbers themselves are better. Dougie is the better player.
So you're really going to argue that Hamilton is better defensively? You prepared to die on that hill? Hamilton is a below average defensive player.

Any knowledgeable person who watches these two play knows Slavin is the better player.

Reactions: bobc222 and The S5

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I'm sorry buddy, it is you who looks silly. Quoting random metrics with no context is a surefire way to demonstrate the fact that you don't watch either of these players. When they are separated, which is not super often, Slavin is taking defensive zone starts against McDavid, Matthews, Mac etc. Slavin starts in the Dzone 55% over his career to Hamilton's 42% while with Carolina.

I wonder why teams get more chances and shots when starting in the offensive zone....

Real tough one to figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad