Speculation: Slava Voynov – the newest LA Kings forward?

Ron*

Among the many storylines in the Kings-Sharks second round match-up this year has been the effectiveness of Brent Burns. A few summers ago San Jose paid a hefty price to acquire him from the Minnesota Wild. Normally a defenseman, Burns was moved to right wing in March and few would argue it’s paid dividends for coach Todd McLellan.

Given the Kings struggles on offense at times, coupled with Slava Voynov‘s love for shooting the puck, would he welcome a similar move in Los Angeles?

“No. It’s not for me,” said the 23-year old Russian native, following practice today. “I like doing my job, playing defense. It helps the forwards. But, I don’t want to play right wing or left wing, it’s not for me.”

He went on to say that it’s not even something he’s ever tried – despite the urging of his father.

http://networkedblogs.com/LA5Gs

Ron*

LOL, no thanks. Strange article.

He fits in perfectly as the consummate d-man that has great judgment to join the rush when it is appropriate.

I love this kid. We have to pay him. If we lose him to the KHL, I'm gonna tear what little hair I got left out.

In regards to the article, I saw it this morning and posted it here because I am bored. In no way does it reflect my opinion...but thought it was interesting someone else thought about it.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
Burns is effective because of his size/skill combination. I'd consider moving Muzz to forward before Voynov.

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
I remember reading that Burns played forward growing up but then had a growth spurt and he was moved back onto D due to his size. Could be wrong but that's what I recall reading in his draft year

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Burns is a pure forward, he was just playing out of position. NK is correct, he played wing in Juniors. Lemaire was the one who moved him to defense (Surprised?)

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
McLellan moved Burns to D when he was a coach in Houston . Slava is a defenseman and a damn good one. Move Muzzin or Martinez to forward...

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Burns has always been a Forward masquerading as a Defender.

Jack Johnson is the same. Columbus should do the same with Jack.

Jack would be one hell of a dynamic Forward.

KingKopitar11*

The only one who can play offense is Doughty imo. He has the best dangles on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad