Confirmed with Link: Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj made the team!!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is he going to learn more by watching others on the PP or would it be better if he played on it in the minors?

I think I’d prefer Slaf get sent down.

Reactions: HabsForHire

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Buffalo had mismanagement is what pushed their rebuild back. Arizona also. Oilers under Peter C. Leafs too for that matter. Kessel was A major bad trade. Why they each took 10+ years to rebuild. Teams that had good management rebuilt in less than half that time. Tampa, Colorado, Rangerc, etc..
Tampa and Colorado played their top picks/prospects more often in the NHL than AHL. Lecavalier, Stamkos, Hedman, Sergachev, even 2nd and 3rd round picks Richards, Kucherov and Point played a measly 17 AHL games lifetime between the seven of them.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is he going to learn more by watching others on the PP or would it be better if he played on it in the minors?

I think I’d prefer Slaf get sent down.
If Slaf does not produce at ES like Rantanen in his first 9 NHL games, he will get sent down. If he produces at ES, he will get PP time soon enough. It's not like he never played on a PP before! "Juraj, take careful note, this is a situation where our team has more players on the ice than their team, which is good. But their team can ice the puck without being called back, so it is important to keep possession...."

Patience.

Take a look at how Tampa developed their top prospects, always at the highest level they could handle.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Who starts the season has nothing to do with who will e on the roster at even the 10 game mark. Hopefully St Louis will decide they aren't ready, and the player will also ralize it, and they will be sent to the AHL.
'"Hopefully"????? Is this a Habs fan board?

What is more important, your personal prediction average or the players' progress???

My hope, unlike yours, is that the players prove that they WERE ready and that the coaches and brass were right to give them the chance to start developing their NHL pedigree at this time.

I would be ok if they are struggling to be sent down, but that is not my "HOPE"!!

My word (ma parole) !!

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If Slaf does not produce at ES like Rantanen in his first 9 NHL games, he will get sent down. If he produces at ES, he will get PP time soon enough. It's not like he never played on a PP before! "Juraj, take careful note, this is a situation where our team has more players on the ice than their team, which is good. But their team can ice the puck without being called back, so it is important to keep possession...."

Patience.

Take a look at how Tampa developed their top prospects, always at the highest level they could handle.
I think it’s funny you’re telling me to be patient when I’ve just said we should be patient with this guy and send him down…

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think it’s funny you’re telling me to be patient when I’ve just said we should be patient with this guy and send him down…
Sending him down just so that he doesn't forget what being on a PP is like for a few games is being impatient for that one particular stat line.

If he is not progressing at the NHL level in general, then yes patience can mean supporting a demotion.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sending him down just so that he doesn't forget what being on a PP is like for a few games is being impatient for that one particular stat line.

If he is not progressing at the NHL level in general, then yes patience can mean supporting a demotion.
Why put him in that position though? Why demote him after nine? Send him now and let him work his way up. I just don’t see the point in doing it this way. He’s 18, no need to bring him up. We’ve seen this so many times.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why put him in that position though? Why demote him after nine? Send him now and let him work his way up. I just don’t see the point in doing it this way. He’s 18, no need to bring him up. We’ve seen this so many times.
Take a look at how Tampa developed their top prospects.

Slaf outperformed all wingers in camp but three. He earned his spot on the team. If he can't do a thing for a stretch of games (nine is only a number contract-wise), sure scale it back, but why assume he won't? It's not what Tampa or Colorado do. I like to see what successful teams have done, even if only as a guide. How about Ottawa with Brady and Stutzle? Were they made to "work their way up" when they ALREADY showed they were better than many of the players on the team?

If your issue is just the PP for game 1 or a short time, I actually find MSL refreshing. He has such confidence in Slafkovsky and doesn't want the kid to fool himself that because he got some quick PP points, he does not have to learn how to improve the larger part of the game, because "success".

Last edited:
Reactions: Kennerback

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Take a look at how Tampa developed their top prospects.

Slaf outperformed all wingers in camp but three. He earned his spot on the team. If he can't do a thing for a stretch of games (nine is only a number contract-wise), sure scale it back, but why assume he won't? It's not what Tampa or Colorado do. I like to see what successful teams have done, even if only as a guide. How about Ottawa with Brady and Stutzle? Were they made to "work their way up" when they ALREADY showed they were better than many of the players on the team?

If your issue is just the PP for game 1 or a short time, I actually find MSL refreshing. He has such confidence in Slafkovsky and doesn't want the kid to fool himself that because he got some quick PP points, he does not have to learn how to play the larger part of the game, because '"success".
What are you talking about mate?

Tampa is actually a good model of how players should be properly developed!

Palat spent 2 years in the AHL!
Kucherov spent a year in Russia after being drafted then they sent him to QMJHL for one year and then they started him in the AHL the next year!

Killorn took 5 years before making the team!

Point spent two more years in the WHL before making the team.

Cirelli spent 2 years in the OHL and then played a year in the AHL.

They developed Gourde in the AHL for 4 years before he made the big club.

You could argue they should have sent Hedman to the AHL at the beginning of his career as it took him 5 years before he actually flourished in the NHL, I remember people talking about him as underwhelming for a while.

So who are you really talking about apart Stamkos who was killing it from the get-go and who couldn't be sent to the AHL?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Kucherov spent a year in Russia after being drafted then they sent him to QMJHL for one year and then they started him in the AHL the next year!

You could argue they should have sent Hedman to the AHL at the beginning of his career as it took him 5 years before he actually flourished in the NHL, I remember people talking about him as underwhelming for a while.

So who are you really talking about apart Stamkos who was killing it from the get-go and who couldn't be sent to the AHL?
Point was a 3rd round pick who went straight from Junior to the NHL. There are people here who don't want Guhle to do that at 16OA and TCJ captain.

Are you comparing Killorn, Cirelli and Gourde to Guhle or Slaf? I'm suggesting the same path as Cirelli, a 3rd rounder who played less than a year in the A for Mailloux, a 1st rounder.

Gourde was a very late bloomer, undrafted, with limited skills, who failed in the AHL at first and had to go to the ECHL and work his way up.

Tampa's top 7 prospects of the past two decades spent a total of 17 games in the AHL. That is significant I think..

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

The only two high end prospects you mention are a late 2nd Rounder and a 3 rounder. They spent practically no time in the AHL. Kucherov is the top end prospect that played the longest in the AHL of all of them, 17 games. The poster you quoted listed more in this thread. The CHL, the Europeans men’s leagues and the AHL are in separate categories in terms of development leagues, and have been analyzed as such. The Lightnings have as a rule completely skipped the AHL for all their high end prospects.

As for the AHL track record of European 1OA’s, there is none. Because since the more than half a century of entry draft, never has a Euro 1OA started in the AHL. I’m not even sure if a Euro 1OA ever set foot in the AHL for a single game.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Point was a 3rd round pick who went straight from Junior to the NHL. There are people here who don't want Guhle to do that at 16OA and TCJ captain.

Are you comparing Killorn, Cirelli and Gourde to Guhle or Slaf? I'm suggesting the same path as Cirelli, a 3rd rounder who played less than a year in the A for Mailloux, a 1st rounder.

Gourde was a very late bloomer, undrafted, with limited skills, who failed in the AHL at first and had to go to the ECHL and work his way up.

Tampa's top 7 prospects of the past two decades spent a total of 17 games in the AHL. That is significant I think..
I honestly don't even know what you're trying to argue here...

Every player has his own development path.

Some are rushed to the NHL and do just fine some need time elsewhere before making the jump.

D's usually take longer to develop so I don't know why you lump everybody into the same discussion.

And the player's draft rank shouldn't be a big deal when it comes to his development, to be honest.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The only two high end prospects you mention are a late 2nd Rounder and a 3 rounder. They spent practically no time in the AHL. Kucherov is the top end prospect that played the longest in the AHL of all of them, 17 games. The CHL, the Europeans men’s leagues and the AHL are in separate categories in terms of development leagues. The Lightnings have as a rule completely skipped the AHL for all their high end prospects.

As for the track record of European 1OA’s, there is none. Because since the more than half a century of entry draft, never has a Euro 1OA started in the AHL. I’m not even sure if a Euro 1OA has ever set foot in the AHL for a single game.
They developed elsewhere! That's the whole point here... They didn't make the big team at 18 years old.

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory...

I don't think anyone would argue about starting Slaf in the AHL if he developed for the next two years somewhere else...

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
They developed elsewhere! That's the whole point here... They didn't make the big team at 18 years old.

I don't think anyone would argue about starting Slaf in the AHL if he developed for the next two years somewhere else...
How many of them were selected first overall in the NHL draft?

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The only two high end prospects you mention are a late 2nd Rounder and a 3 rounder. They spent practically no time in the AHL. Kucherov is the top end prospect that played the longest in the AHL of all of them, 17 games. The poster you quoted listed more in this thread. The CHL, the Europeans men’s leagues and the AHL are in separate categories in terms of development leagues, and have been analyzed as such. The Lightnings have as a rule completely skipped the AHL for all their high end prospects.

As for the AHL track record of European 1OA’s, there is none. Because since the more than half a century of entry draft, never has a Euro 1OA started in the AHL. I’m not even sure if a Euro 1OA has ever set foot in the AHL for a single game.
Jesse Ylonen and Raphael Harvery-Pinard are among the better tier of AHLers.

Slafkovsky just out-shone them by quite a margin in training camp and exhibition games.

Tell me again why it's so important that Slaf go down and show he can "dominate" guys like them, and many much WORSE, yet AGAIN?

So that insecure Habs fans don't have to see a stat sheet at year end where their precious tank fruit scored only 28 points and they are butthurt?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Brady? Stutzle? Svechnikov? Hedman? Eichel? Wright? Seguin? Jordan Staal? I haven't even named a 1OA yet, in case you think Slaf should have been a rung or two lower.

Reactions: Kojo

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How many of them were selected first overall in the NHL draft?
This horse has been beaten to death already...

The majority of first overalls are drafted from the CHL and the options for them are back to junior or NHL that's why most of the time teams make them graduate right away but you could argue quite a good number of them could've benefited from a year in the AHL.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I honestly don't even know what you're trying to argue here...

Every player has his own development path.

Some are rushed to the NHL and do just fine some need time elsewhere before making the jump.

D's usually take longer to develop so I don't know why you lump everybody into the same discussion.

And the player's draft rank shouldn't be a big deal when it comes to his development, to be honest.
The player's draft rank is certainly relevant to his relative readiness that initial summer. A guy drafted 2nd or 3rd round probably has some holes in his game. Yes, the holes may IN SOME CASES be gone 2 years later, but this is why almost all 18 yo who make the NHL are very high picks.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
This horse has been beaten to death already...

The majority of first overalls are drafted from the CHL and the options for them are back to junior or NHL that's why most of the time teams make them graduate right away but you could argue quite a good number of them could've benefited from a year in the AHL.
I'm not against Slaf playing some games in the AHL but the players you mentioned are second round picks. They have nothing in common with Slaf.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Brady? Stutzle? Svechnikov? Hedman? Eichel? Wright? Seguin? Jordan Staal? I haven't even named a 1OA yet, in case you think Slaf should have been a rung or two lower.
Again I don't know what you're trying to prove...

Yes, players start in the NHL right away and develop just fine... Is this supposed to be new information or something?

Slafkovsky also will probably be just fine at the end of the day.

Now find me a list of players that were ruined by starting in the AHL.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The player's draft rank is certainly relevant to his relative readiness that initial summer. A guy drafted 2nd or 3rd round probably has some holes in his game. Yes, the holes may IN SOME CASES be gone 2 years later, but this is why almost all 18 yo who make the NHL are very high picks.
Yes, and Slafkovsky's game is far from perfect!

Honestly, I don't care, they decided to start him in the NHL, fine...

I guess they want to develop him at the NHL level.

If I was in charge I would've started him in the AHL and if he does great after say 20 games I promote him to the big club rather than starting him in the NHL and risking the possibility of being forced to send him down because the kid is struggling out there.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Starting him for a dozen games is better for us, for salary cap reasons, then if he doesn't dominate in the NHL we can just send him back down in time to participate in the junior cup. After that he could go dominate in the AHL.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Yes, and Slafkovsky's game is far from perfect!

Honestly, I don't care, they decided to start him in the NHL, fine...

I guess they want to develop him at the NHL level.

If I was in charge I would've started him in the AHL and if he does great after say 20 games I promote him to the big club rather than starting him in the NHL and risking the possibility of being forced to send him down because the kid is struggling out there.

Agreed.

I don't care that the team has injuries right now..

Kotkakovsky's development is more important than filling some holes in the lineup, that could be done with a dozen other players.

He is simply not NHL ready. Not sure what we're doing here. I expect they are really banking he is a fast learner and etc, but this can't be what's best for his development in the long run....

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad