Post-Game Talk: Skinner. That’s it, that’s the thread title.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Full story here

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Respectfully disagree, best announcer there is despite his straying into the inane from time to time. Love his calls! DOWN THE STRETCH is classic. The pleasure was all ours!
Yup...55 minutes of story time during the play...some flirting with Louie...then a couple of screaming catch phrases.

Whats not to love?

To each their own. :nod:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just don't understand why anybody cares who is commentating on a hockey game.
Can't speak for others but for much the same reason people don't like the adds being way louder than the programs they are watching. When I watch a game I like to have the volume at some level so I can hear some rink sounds, crowd sounds and the hits and shots and pings etc. Hockey sounds. But when I do that Jack Michaels is blowing up the speakers and my ear drums screaming as loud as he can at random times. Its almost headache inducing.

My wish is for the audio choice (which we were told would come with new tech) of just opting for the rink audio and NOT hearing the announcing. I would love that.

Reactions: BardownMagic

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Can't speak for others but for much the same reason people don't like the adds being way louder than the programs they are watching. When I watch a game I like to have the volume at some level so I can hear some rink sounds, crowd sounds and the hits and shots and pings etc. Hockey sounds. But when I do that Jack Michaels is blowing up the speakers and my ear drums screaming as loud as he can at random times. Its almost headache inducing.

My wish is for the audio choice (which we were told would come with new tech) of just opting for the rink audio and NOT hearing the announcing. I would love that.
I'm with you on the ads being louder than the program. I'm getting tired of explaining that it's now loud because it's a commercial to the wife.

My theory about commentators is they are all hated because they will eventually do or say something that you vehemently disagree with & people just won't let it go.

Kinda like me & you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm with you on the ads being louder than the program. I'm getting tired of explaining that it's now loud because it's a commercial to the wife.

My theory about commentators is they are all hated because they will eventually do or say something that you vehemently disagree with & people just won't let it go.

Kinda like me & you.
I have no discord with you. Agree or disagree I prefer to just have dialog and its just opinions and takes plus I love Calvin and Hobbes. Have you seen the documentary? its great.

But to the point its not the message as much as the volume of Michaels that I object to. That said I don't feel Debrusk or Michaels really add much. The days of Howie Meeker/Danny Gallivan type broadcasters is seemingly over. alas great comics are as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He is made for baseball.
Interesting comment and apparently he's a fan. Is it possible that he is announcing the wrong sport and has brought copious fill that are more useful to Baseball where extended times of nothing happening occurs? Hockey is chock full of happenings and his stuff interrupts the game. Whereas in Baseball storytelling fills in the time voids.

5 PPG in 6 games seems unlikely. TBH, it's far from certain that he'll hit 50, especially if he sits a few games at the end.
Tbh I'd prefer he not have that record. For the critics it would be another "Drai is so reliant on X" type argument.

Its the purist in me. I like EV results more than PP results generally. they both count of course.

Flipside is that PP acumen requires a whole unit working together as a whole in concert and the Oilers are uber impressive at doing that. You probably don't see another PP ever like this one again.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Interesting comment and apparently he's a fan. Is it possible that he is announcing the wrong sport and has brought copious fill that are more useful to Baseball where extended times of nothing happening occurs? Hockey is chock full of happenings and his stuff interrupts the game. Whereas in Baseball storytelling fills in the time voids.

Tbh I'd prefer he not have that record. For the critics it would be another "Drai is so reliant on X" type argument.

Its the purist in me. I like EV results more than PP results generally. they both count of course.

Flipside is that PP acumen requires a whole unit working together as a whole in concert and the Oilers are uber impressive at doing that. You probably don't see another PP ever like this one again.
Replacement, that record adds to his legend, but it's still 3 50 goal seasons and all the goals count.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I couldnt agree more.
Insightful comment by @BardownMagic.
Something I had not considered.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Nailed it.
No time for stories or flirting with Louie...he can just scream for the last 15 seconds too.
Fella I grew up with just got the Jets announcing gig this year. Man I wish the Oilers would have hired him. Best announcer going. Great voice and knowledge of the game. He did the Habs for a few years as well

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fella I grew up with just got the Jets announcing gig this year. Man I wish the Oilers would have hired him. Best announcer going. Great voice and knowledge of the game. He did the Habs for a few years as well
Thats interesting.

Whats his name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad