Post-Game Talk: Skinner just had his Grant Fuhr moment

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hm like I said all year, I thought Mcleod would be good at 3C for us. Maybe won’t light the lamp or punish guys on the forecheck but he’ll win his minutes at possession and being always effective and responsible defensively.

Didn’t really think we needed a 3C with Mcleod around. And now we’re playing our “3C” Henrique as a Top 6 wing instead of just getting a natural top 6 wing. Oh well, either way this teams a wagon.
I dunno I kind of like having this many wingers who can play centre. Gives you so much versatility with line shuffling and gives you two face off guys out there most of the time. Henriques been a solid addition and really he's performed as good or better than the majority of the TDL winger acquisitions in these short playoffs. Toffoli and Monahan have been flops, Mantha got healthy scratched tonight, Tarasenko has had a similar impact, Guentzel a bit more but higher acquisition cost and he got to play the awful NYI in the first round.

Agree though that McLeod has been awesome in a shut down role. Will need some scoring from his line eventually, but I'm sure that will come. Wouldn't mind them putting Holloway-McLeod-Perry back together and sliding Foegele to the 4th line.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't want to take credit away from the guy, but man whoever runs the LA defense and their defense themselves are idiots. They are constantly letting guys sit open behind the d-men.
From the Convo, it's clear that Draisaitl picked that out before they got the goal. It's partly the Kings playing bad, but the Oilers exercising skill at such a high level it's making a team lose track of 50 goal scorers.

Reactions: alanschu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
From the Convo, it's clear that Draisaitl picked that out before they got the goal. It's partly the Kings playing bad, but the Oilers exercising skill at such a high level it's making a team lose track of 50 goal scorers.
It's not just that one goal though. LA has been allowing the forwards to get behind the d-men all series. Noticed in game 1 our guys are behind the d with their sticks on the ice and I had to take a double look to see which team it was as that's how we liked to play earlier in the year.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I just fundamentally disagree. Ceci has limits to his game, but he looked borderline all season, however in the playoffs he's given the team solid play overall.

You can not like him, but still admit he's played reasonably well.

Josh Archibald SUCKS as actually playing hockey, so he's pretty useless on the whole. He's basically Adam Erne level, with less size and talent, but more speed.

Ceci isn't getting scratched.
LA was masked by a hot start imo. They really haven't been good for awhile now. Last game they really executed their game plan well and forechecked hard as to disable our neutral zone breakout. Ceci wasn't really good last game, and Nurse wasn't far behind. The only reason it wasn't at alarming rates is b/c we didn't get scored on cuz LA wasn't able to generate anything off the turnovers.

Like @foshizzle stated, that pair has been used and abused in the playoffs for awhile now. We've seen teams literally execute a gameplan against them.
Knobby will have to come up with a plan of his own to combat that when the competition gets stronger than LA. That pair will always be a liability, and last game started to show that

Ceci in particular last game had a sequence of 3 giveaways on the same shift where he failed to get it out. Luckily no goal but in a 1 goal game, that could have been the difference

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's not just that one goal though. LA has been allowing the forwards to get behind the d-men all series. Noticed in game 1 our guys are behind the d with their sticks on the ice and I had to take a double look to see which team it was as that's how we liked to play earlier in the year.
They're exploiting LA through their talent and LA's need to pressure up high. That can work game to game, but in a series they will get shredded.

LA was masked by a hot start imo. They really haven't been good for awhile now. Last game they really executed their game plan well and forechecked hard as to disable our neutral zone breakout. Ceci wasn't really good last game, and Nurse wasn't far behind. The only reason it wasn't at alarming rates is b/c we didn't get scored on cuz LA wasn't able to generate anything off the turnovers.

Like @foshizzle stated, that pair has been used and abused in the playoffs for awhile now. We've seen teams literally execute a gameplan against them.
Knobby will have to come up with a plan of his own to combat that when the competition gets stronger than LA. That pair will always be a liability, and last game started to show that

Ceci in particular last game had a sequence of 3 giveaways on the same shift where he failed to get it out. Luckily no goal but in a 1 goal game, that could have been the difference
Yeah, so when I see "used and abused" I view them as unplayable, that's what that means.

They've been ok, pretty decent overall. They are lacking as a pair, but they have been FAR from unplayably back as you guys keep seeming to suggest for whatever reason.

They gave up 1 goal in 2 games IN LA, whether you guys like it or not, Nurse and Ceci were part of accomplishing this.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
If they keep what up? losing??

McDavid was playing pretty conservative last night. Committed to smart defensive play, he wouldn't have done that in past years.

I'm much more impressed with the win last night than game 3. Previous Stanley Cup winners have won the cup playing every game like we did last night yet fans look at it as a negative.

Not too many teams are offensive juggernauts and defensive stalwarts at the same time. It is quite obvious to me that the Oilers are quite capable of both.........which makes them a scary team.
I agree 100 percent. It was great to see us able to win that way. The Lightning played this way after the sweep and it was key to their 3 straight finals.

That said the Oilers were lucky to get the lead. The Kings came out flying and should have won the game.

Sure the players dug deep and defended well after we got the lead, but before that we were getting our ass handed to us. We were flat.

The Kings did a great job neutralizing Mcdavid in game 4 and some of you guys are freaking out about me saying that. It's weird

Reactions: jeffff

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
They're exploiting LA through their talent and LA's need to pressure up high. That can work game to game, but in a series they will get shredded.

Yeah, so when I see "used and abused" I view them as unplayable, that's what that means.

They've been ok, pretty decent overall. They are lacking as a pair, but they have been FAR from unplayably back as you guys keep seeming to suggest for whatever reason.

They gave up 1 goal in 2 games IN LA, whether you guys like it or not, Nurse and Ceci were part of accomplishing this.
Used and abused in previous playoffs. Not talking this round. As stated, Last game LA turned up the pressure and it was that pair who had the hardest time making a play

Wait till Vegas or Col start forechecking them, I really don't see any difference from past years cuz they still show that aren't good at breaking up cycles or thinking anything beyond flipping it off the boards, as was demonstrated last game

Once the reverse pucks to nobody for no reason start to happen, I sure hope Coffey steps in

As for "unplayable", it's really starting to shape into they are the 3rd best pair out there

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I noticed that McDavid was out every other shift to close the game and none of his shifts were more than 30seconds. Derek Ryan also saw a lot of time in the final mins. It was a complete buy in defensively from the forwards and Draisaitl block shot with 5 seconds left sealed the deal.
Noticed this too. Knoblach was rotating McDavid and Draisaitl with whatever wingers for the last couple minutes. It looked like he wanted to make sure he had one of those two on the ice at all times to close out the game. Just one more wrinkle the Kings haven’t seen from us before in a crucial situation. It’s so nice to have a real coach here.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Noticed this too. Knoblach was rotating McDavid and Draisaitl with whatever wingers for the last couple minutes. It looked like he wanted to make sure he had one of those two on the ice at all times to close out the game. Just one more wrinkle the Kings haven’t seen from us before in a crucial situation. It’s so nice to have a real coach here.
I absolutely love having that type of depth where a team could be looking "we'll press when McDavid and Drai are off the ice" and that just never comes :D

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hit the toilet dead center. Not sure if he managed to do anything with the puck though.
From what I read on the main boards that night, Matthews didn’t hit the toilet dead center. The speculation was that he didn’t get close to the toilet at all.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Losing your stick and giving a guy a bearhug and pulling him down should be a penalty no matter the time or score, I don’t care if it’s game 7 Stanley cup finals overtime 6, the rules should be consistent
Every Oiler commentator including Gazdic and Brown and Strudwick all thought it was soft. If that was a bear hug, this guy did it.

grumpshine-grumshine.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Every Oiler commentator including Gazdic and Brown and Strudwick all thought it was soft. If that was a bear hug, this guy did it.

View attachment 862337

I agree with this, that was a call that is technically a penalty, but not close to one that should have been called to that point in the game.

That would have been an unfair advantage if the refs didn't also gift the Kings a phantom call in the middle of the third. Difference is we killed our BS call, they didn't.

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
As soon as the playoffs hit, Foegele disappears. Moving him to the fourth line and Holloway up to the third is great. Make Foegele earn his way back up the lineup.

I really enjoy Knobloauch's lineup adjustments. He wasn't afraid to pull Carrick (who was dead weight), then moved Kane up and now moving Foegele down in favour of Holloway.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dunno I kind of like having this many wingers who can play centre. Gives you so much versatility with line shuffling and gives you two face off guys out there most of the time. Henriques been a solid addition and really he's performed as good or better than the majority of the TDL winger acquisitions in these short playoffs. Toffoli and Monahan have been flops, Mantha got healthy scratched tonight, Tarasenko has had a similar impact, Guentzel a bit more but higher acquisition cost and he got to play the awful NYI in the first round.

Agree though that McLeod has been awesome in a shut down role. Will need some scoring from his line eventually, but I'm sure that will come. Wouldn't mind them putting Holloway-McLeod-Perry back together and sliding Foegele to the 4th line.
Knoblauch, is that you?

• Haha
Reactions: McFlyingV

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I agree with this, that was a call that is technically a penalty, but not close to one that should have been called to that point in the game.

That would have been an unfair advantage if the refs didn't also gift the Kings a phantom call in the middle of the third. Difference is we killed our BS call, they didn't.
For sure. The interference on McDavid and the pitchfork on Kane were most certainly way more egregious than the Englund penalty. But they didn't want to call anything. After the Englund call I believe they were going to pinch the Oilers on the first thing they could, then Hudson Bay rules here we come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad