Post-Game Talk: Skinner just had his Grant Fuhr moment

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Random thought, but hit counts are so inflated now. Was reading a post on the Kings board about how they have 200 hits in this series while only having 140-some in their 2012 series against the Blues.

I watched a game (must've been game 2 or 3) of Bruins vs. Leafs a few days back and I was laughing when the panel was pointing out how physical Toronto was with their 30 hits in two periods. There were maybe 5 notable 'big' hits, while every other one was just a 'finishing your check' moment. It always has been an ambiguous stat that changed depending on the home arena's stat guy, but it seems the threshold of a hit is lower now.

Damn Trudeau and Biden inflating hits now :sarcasm:
It is the most random stat there is. The Kings also had seasons back in the day where their hit counts were really high. Was getting to the point where essentially anytime you touched another player you were credited with a hit. Worked for both teams when playing there so in game it wasn't out of whack, but over the course of the season it was something.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Mcdavid is held to a standard than "every other player". He wasn't a negative, but he was neutralized 5 on 5 for the first time in how long? The kings did a great job.

I am saying if this keeps up we are toast. Let's give the Kings some credit
If they keep what up? losing??

McDavid was playing pretty conservative last night. Committed to smart defensive play, he wouldn't have done that in past years.

I'm much more impressed with the win last night than game 3. Previous Stanley Cup winners have won the cup playing every game like we did last night yet fans look at it as a negative.

Not too many teams are offensive juggernauts and defensive stalwarts at the same time. It is quite obvious to me that the Oilers are quite capable of both.........which makes them a scary team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought the call against Englund was soft, the Kulak penalty was just as soft. The interference on McDavid by Doughty was blatant and the pitchfork on Kane by Kempe was a certain missed call.

Everything else? It's playoffs.

And I remember soft chatter on Vinny for a couple years....some media were talking "Keep an eye on this guy." Glad he panned out.
So much interference especially on McDavid.
It was clear that LA was operating under the premise that the Refs arent going to call everything.

They were right.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought the call against Englund was soft, the Kulak penalty was just as soft. The interference on McDavid by Doughty was blatant and the pitchfork on Kane by Kempe was a certain missed call.

Everything else? It's playoffs.

And I remember soft chatter on Vinny for a couple years....some media were talking "Keep an eye on this guy." Glad he panned out.
Losing your stick and giving a guy a bearhug and pulling him down should be a penalty no matter the time or score, I don’t care if it’s game 7 Stanley cup finals overtime 6, the rules should be consistent

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This here is the benefit of having arguably one of the best third pairings in the league. This will be huge if they get through a couple rounds as the defense as a whole shouldn't be as worn out as some of the other teams.
Of course we also have Stecher who can draw in anytime and we dont' miss a beat. I'm not used to this having extra usable players laying around. Feels like a "have" team in a Canadian market.

Nucks lose their shit if Dakota Joshua is out of the lineup. lol We have better players we're not even using.

they are calling out plays on the PP before they even happen, almost football style. they slide 29 over to his 1time spot, knowing rittich was going to fly over to stop the 1T and he kicked it straight to bouchard who shot far side of the net. only way that isnt going in is if he misses the net.
This playoffs I'm hearing audibles from the players and bench quite a lot. What a change over a team that never used to do any of that. Such an advantage to be informed of what you may not be seeing. defensively or offensively. This is coming from the coaches and/or the new players because it wasn't happening much before.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm happy for Desharnais and the good game he played yesterday but its amazing how fickle fans are.

After game #2 there were a number of people on this thread saying that his skating had been exposed and he should be sat down.

Round #2 (assuming they close the Kings out) will be a tougher test and a better measuring stick for everybody on the roster.
Not sure if we call it fickle.. ppl react to what they see and what we saw in game 2 was very different than game 4.
Skinner, Desharnais and about 10 other players played much better in game 4.

Round 2 would be Nucks or NSH(long shot) .. not sure about measuring stick but it would certainly be a refreshing change from past years. Motivation shouldn't be an issue.. pay back from regular season spankings.

Only thing that concerns me about the Nucks are their diving. Our PK would need to be strong for sure.

Reactions: McDoused

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Big solid team win, didn’t cheat for one ounce of offense tonight, Skinner played like a legit goalie, reminded me of game 7 2 years ago we didn’t give them much.
Must really butt hurt you to come on and admit Skinner was great. At least now we all know who the "fraud " is.:laugh:

That's what I've been looking for from Skinner for a long long time.

Just tracking pucks and dialed in with a calm economy of movement.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't think he had it in him, but I'm very happy to be wrong.

As an aside I can't help but wonder if the boys have the same bug I do. Entire week I've been pretty well throwing up everything I try to eat or drink. Just looked a little anemic the whole way through.
You just needed to be patient. We all did. Some people on here just expected a guy to come in for his first year in the league and be really playoff and experience ready. We're now seeing the results of some maturity and big game experience kick in.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One can never understand reactions but I was more nervous when LA scored in game 3 to make it 3-1 or was it 4-1. Just because in that one I could see the Oilers being complacent with lead. But Kings kept taking penalties and self destructing but they were really pushing for awhile.

Last night as much as we were being outshot I was for some reason calm. Even after 2nd period I posted up we were fine and the team was playing with impeccable focus. One thing that doesn't get commented on a lot is that the Kings just have nobody going. This was a problem for them during season and Kempe and Doughty have scored half their goals. In 4 games all the rest of the forwards only have a combined 4 goals. All stone cold. More of an indictment if you're always on the Kings first line or first unit PP.

Last night I wasn't even nervous. Entertained, yeah.
How is your King superstar Dubois doing in the series? Everyone but you was well aware he is trash before the series even started.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I’d add Kesselring too,even though he’s no longer part of the org.

I think one thing fans forget is that Kesselring had arb rights. I dont see him having the same opportunity here (he's not replacing Desharnais) and taking less. It was a good move by the organization to give him a chance elsewhere.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I’d add Kesselring too,even though he’s no longer part of the org.

My God I just discovered something on this site. I am an idiot!
I've never been on site on anything but my phone until today. Looking at messages from 3 years ago!

I will converse with you tomorrow sir of whenever you're available as I'd like to chat!

That’s because there were no jobs in town.
Ha yeah possibly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad