Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
So I'm looking at three potential goalie skates (all Reeboks) and would like some input, if that's OK?

Initially I was going to go for the 10K, but I've heard that the 9K is the previous year's "top of the line", so between these two which would be the better skate? The 9K costs slightly more but not that much more as it's on sale. On top of this, the 11k, which is the "top of the line" (I think?) for the 10k's year, MIGHT be going on sale soon, as the LHS just got the shipment of the 18K/20k stuff. But this isn't for sure, so it would require waiting a month or two; during which time there might not be any 9ks left, which are on sale right now. The 10ks aren't on sale, but they might run out too (skate size 6.5 - I'm heavy but short lol). And there's also the possibility that they won't go on sale anyway. And is the 11k really that much better than the 10k or 9k? If I were to get the 10/9k I could get it next week. I've been sorta waiting a while (long story), so maybe waiting a couple more months isn't a big deal? On the other hand I just want to GO, you know?

I know part of this is a real skate question, and the other half is more of a personal inclination (wait or not). Sorry if this doesn't really belong in this thread!!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Go for the 9Ks only if they fit you better. Other than that, that year's RBK skates imo were pretty shoddy. Spring for the 10K based on overall quality alone. No the 11K isn't a huge jump from the 10K; if you're not a top-flight skater playing often then you don't need the 11Ks.

izzy3

Dec 3, 2009
Thanks

Hey AIR,
thanks for the great advice here, I've found a steal online on the S17 skates (width w), and jumped in here to see if they'd fit my very wide forefoot and narrow ankles. Based on the info you gave I thought, yeah, they'd fit. If not, I would have lost the postage. Well, they FIT! Much better than my Reeboks. I will still keep with my Reeboks as I think they still have one season in them, but I am already looking forward the day I can put my new S17 Stealths on.

Thanks man! :handclap:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Glad to be of service dude, good to hear that they fit, though I'm not surprised, Reebok and Stealth are very different fit-wise!

michaelshu

Jan 26, 2012
Hockey Hell
hello, AIRAYE
do you think a vapor 6.5EE will measure almost the same with a reebok 6.5D? i mean just in terms of width/length, not fit characteristics

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah, but take this with a grain of salt. I'm not 100% sure if they actually widened the boot that much, I'm only going by what I've seen.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
I'm beginning to think my skates are too big. I wear a 11.5 shoe, and bought a pair of Bauer One60's about 10 months ago, size 9.5EE. The forefoot in the skates just seems massive, like there is way too much room. I can't graze the front of the skate with my toes (not even close actually). I end up having to tie my skates over and over again every time I get on the ice. They feel too loose, then I crank on the laces and they are too tight, then I loosen them up and they are too loose, then too tight, etc., etc.

I'm 6'0" 220 lbs.

My local rink is the only place to buy skates, but they only carry Bauer. I'm thinking about trying on some size 9 skates to see how they feel. How snug should a correctly fitted skate be?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm beginning to think my skates are too big. I wear a 11.5 shoe, and bought a pair of Bauer One60's about 10 months ago, size 9.5EE. The forefoot in the skates just seems massive, like there is way too much room. I can't graze the front of the skate with my toes (not even close actually). I end up having to tie my skates over and over again every time I get on the ice. They feel too loose, then I crank on the laces and they are too tight, then I loosen them up and they are too loose, then too tight, etc., etc.

I'm 6'0" 220 lbs.

My local rink is the only place to buy skates, but they only carry Bauer. I'm thinking about trying on some size 9 skates to see how they feel. How snug should a correctly fitted skate be?

Snug enough to give you comfortable and stable heel lock and to make sure your forefoot is comfortably secure without squeezing. The heel lock is one thing that some people disregard but one of the most important aspects of fit. Honestly, you should be able to tell.

What else fits like the S17's? I'm looking for other options but I just can't find anything that fits as nice.

Nothing else. Try Synergy for the ankle/heel. Why not just keep going with Stealth?

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
Snug enough to give you comfortable and stable heel lock and to make sure your forefoot is comfortably secure without squeezing. The heel lock is one thing that some people disregard but one of the most important aspects of fit. Honestly, you should be able to tell.

Nothing else. Try Synergy for the ankle/heel. Why not just keep going with Stealth?

The only way I'm able to really achieve stable heel lock is by lacing the skates so tight that it is painful, and as I said the forefoot has always felt like there is too much room (far from secure).

Sounds like I should try on some smaller skates.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yes, go get professionally fitted and try on different pairs yourself if you cannot do that. That is and always will be the quintessential piece of advice here. When in doubt...

dpressma

Apr 30, 2012
South Jersey
I went to buy my first skates ever yesterday. I went to a Hockey Giant which was about 10 minutes from my house. The employee there was a few years younger than me, but extremely nice, patient with me and very helpful. They had 1 of the 2 pairs I wanted to try on. The Vapor X1.0 and the Easton Stealth S9. They had the Bauer Vapor X1.0 which was my first choice anyway, but didn't have the S9. I have very narrow feet and no arch whatsoever. I need prescription orthotics in my shoes. I tried the skate on with and without the orthotic and it felt great both ways just walking around. I wear a size 9.5-10 sneaker depending on the make and model so I was shocked when the kid brought me a size 7. According to all online size charts and the video on ice warehouse (the guy even wears the same size dress shoe as I do) I should have been a size 8. Nope. The 7 fit perfectly. Just barely skim the front of the boot standing and not at all while leaning forward. Ankle is completely locked in.

A lot of people on several forums have said prescription orthotics might not fit a skate and that superfeet or "toughing it out" is the best option, but in my case the orthotic was the best. I used to be an ankle bender when I roller bladed when I was younger to the point where people would ask me if I was in all sorts of pain. Today on the ice for the first time my ankles were completely supported up and down with only normal pronation through the skating motion. Anyway, that was my experience, and I can definitely vouch for everybody needing different things.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Excellent, glad it worked out. Orthotics might need to me remade for the shape of the skate and like you said, they may or may not fit. People getting new ones made are advised to bring in their skate for the doctor to trace so it fits.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I have a pair of Bauer Flexlite 4.0's in men's size 8 if anyone is interested. Only worn 2-3x and were not baked. Will sell them at a very good discount.

Unfortunately I bought them slightly big without knowing proper fitting, and am looking to get a smaller size skate now. Pm if interested.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
I have a pair of Bauer Flexlite 4.0's in men's size 8 if anyone is interested. Only worn 2-3x and were not baked. Will sell them at a very good discount.

Unfortunately I bought them slightly big without knowing proper fitting, and am looking to get a smaller size skate now. Pm if interested.

To small for me but I am considering some Flexlite 3.0's, so I'm curious how you (or anyone else) liked them. I don't skate frequently enough to justify spending a lot on skates, and really want to find something that is comfortable for a novice skater.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
To small for me but I am considering some Flexlite 3.0's, so I'm curious how you (or anyone else) liked them. I don't skate frequently enough to justify spending a lot on skates, and really want to find something that is comfortable for a novice skater.

I have the 3.0s but in a Jr. Size. They're nice and comfortable for the most part (I have bad feet). However they have narrow heels and a wide forefoot. They're good skates for a beginner but don't look to get the same performance as a Vapor or Supreme skate if they fit as well.

donkers*

If those were 7's I would have grabbed them from you in an instant :(

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Try not to sell things on here, thanks.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
Well I went to my local shop (which only carries Bauer) and tried on some Supreme One60's in size 9D (mine are currently 9.5EE and are huge). The fit was much better. They didn't have Vapors in my size (I did squeeze into a pair of Vapor 3.0s that were size 8.5EE), but I did try on a pair of Flexlite 4.0's. I can't say I really liked the heel in the Flexlite's.

While the Supreme One60's in the correct size felt better, I still wouldn't say they felt comfortable.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Well I went to my local shop (which only carries Bauer) and tried on some Supreme One60's in size 9D (mine are currently 9.5EE and are huge). The fit was much better. They didn't have Vapors in my size (I did squeeze into a pair of Vapor 3.0s that were size 8.5EE), but I did try on a pair of Flexlite 4.0's. I can't say I really liked the heel in the Flexlite's.

While the Supreme One60's in the correct size felt better, I still wouldn't say they felt comfortable.

Was the discomfort due to size or pressure points? There's a difference. If the boot dimensions aren't right, it's not the skate for you. If there's a couple points where you're experiencing pressure, those usually go away once the skates are baked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00