Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stamp

Apr 17, 2012
Some advice would be appreciated. I grew up in around Detroit, Michigan, and skated a few times on ice, put picked up roller hockey big time while growing up. About 10 years later, and about 50 pounds heavier, I live in Louisville, Kentucky, and nobody here knows what hockey is, let alone roller hockey. There is one ice rink that's open year round, and I plan to make the transition from couch potato back to hockey player, and from roller to ice.

I played at a relatively high level when I was in the full swing of it in roller hockey, and I plan to get into ice hockey at about the same level, so I don't really want beginner skates, as I'm thinking my skating technique should come back relatively quickly. Considering the last pair of (roller) hockey skates I bought, I got them about 3 sizes too big and stuffed socks in the toes so I wouldn't out grow them, I have no idea how any skates would fit my feet, and I'm not really sure if I have wide feet or not (I don't wear wide shoes), and there are no hockey pro shops around here to try them on. The only thing I could think of, is driving 2.5 hours to Cincinnati to a hockey shop up there, but I don't know when that would happen.

I'm 230 pounds, 6' 3", and I guess I have "normal" feet. Is there any advice you would give me?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, for an adult, finding proper skate size is simply if you kick your heel back a bit in the boot and stand up, your toes should feather or very lightly skim the toecap.

Hmm well you're absolutely right about not looking for entry models, even with your frame (no offense haha, being practical here) the boot would break down quite easily on lower end skates. Mid -end boots or upper mid could work well.

I highly suggest you find a few more close options in terms of a good hockey shop and make a trip of it. Even though it may be 2.5, 3 hours away, it will be worth it in the long run if you manage to find a proper fitting skate. Enjoy the roadtrip!

Stamp

Apr 17, 2012
Yeah, I was thinking I'd need a stiffer boot for my size. I guess next time I'm up that way, I'll pick some up. Thanks for the feedback!

Stamp

Apr 17, 2012
Well, since I don't plan to go to Cincinnati any time soon, I figured I'd try my luck online. If they don't fit right, I can always send them back and wait for the trip to Ohio. Ended up ordering a pair of Easton EQ5's. Reviews look like they're very comfortable, and heat mold nicely.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Supremes or Vapors?

Looking to upgrade my skates from Easton to Bauer and I'm looking for some input;

Hoping someone can give input on the Bauer Supreme One60 and the Bauer Vapor X4.0 ..

I have never worn Bauer (Mission/Tour inlines and Easton/CCM ice) so just looking for some input.

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
I just made the switch from supremes to vapors, and I like the vapors way more. They just feel a lot more mobile and everything seemed a lot smoother in the vapors.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Both good skates, get the one that fits better...you'll hear the same here as on ModSquad.

Last edited:

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Seconding AIREAYE, get the one that fits better. I used to wear Vapor because it seemed like the "hot" skate that everyone had and it didn't fit me very well. Finally, I switched to Supreme which fit me a lot better. I should have gotten the right fit the first time. Instead I wasted a lot of money and time wearing the wrong skate.

Supreme is a deeper skate compared to Vapor, and runs a half size smaller (e.g. if you compare a Supreme and Vapor skate of the same foot length, the Supreme skate will be marked a half size smaller).

The fancy top-of-the-line skates will fit differently compared to the rest of the line, due to the different heat moldable material. But it sounds like you don't need to worry about that since you're considering the intermediate level skates.

You said you wore Easton/CCM skates previously? You might want to consider whether you like a neutral stance or a more aggressive stance. One of my friends claimed that Easton is pitched forward, so you are more on your toes (aggressive stance). The Bauer Supreme has a neutral pitch, so you're sitting back more on your heels.

johnny1976

Dec 5, 2010
Just wondering about skates for my son. He is using the Bauer supremes one20's right now and will be needing skates in the near future. He wants to stay with the Bauer line, but I have been reading that the Vapors are more of a forward pitch to give you a little extra speed. Is this true? Or is this just BS marketing? He is a very good skater with a long stride and one of the faster kids out there on his supremes. I'm just wondering if the vapors would give him a little more speed? I know the vapors run more narrow than the supremes so it will be based on which fit him better.

Also what level do you think we should look at? He is 9 and tall for his age, but is only maybe 70lbs. (very skinny, damn kid has a 6 pack already). I made the mistake a couple years ago buying him a top of the line skate (I got a great deal), but it really hurt his performance because they were way to stiff and he couldn't flex his ankle at all.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Seconding AIREAYE, get the one that fits better. I used to wear Vapor because it seemed like the "hot" skate that everyone had and it didn't fit me very well. Finally, I switched to Supreme which fit me a lot better. I should have gotten the right fit the first time. Instead I wasted a lot of money and time wearing the wrong skate.

Supreme is a deeper skate compared to Vapor, and runs a half size smaller (e.g. if you compare a Supreme and Vapor skate of the same foot length, the Supreme skate will be marked a half size smaller).

The fancy top-of-the-line skates will fit differently compared to the rest of the line, due to the different heat moldable material. But it sounds like you don't need to worry about that since you're considering the intermediate level skates.

You said you wore Easton/CCM skates previously? You might want to consider whether you like a neutral stance or a more aggressive stance. One of my friends claimed that Easton is pitched forward, so you are more on your toes (aggressive stance). The Bauer Supreme has a neutral pitch, so you're sitting back more on your heels.

I've heard that some people find Supreme sizing a little bit off too, but from what I've been doing, it's inconsistent. all the more important to try them on. I wouldn't say the top-end guys fit differently, but they definitely will feel different! The Synergies* have a bit of a forward pitch, so do the Vapors. Whether or not it will be noticeable depends on the player.

Johnny, the speed thing is pure marketing, nothing else. Just as the Supreme skate is marketed for a 'power skater maximizing every stride'. Fit is the difference, that's it. Why not try a good mid-end skate? A stiffer skate will give him better energy transfer, so maybe look at skates in the range of the One60-70/One.6-.7 or Vapor X3.0-4.0? Again, doesn't have to be Bauer.

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Just wondering about skates for my son. He is using the Bauer supremes one20's right now and will be needing skates in the near future. He wants to stay with the Bauer line, but I have been reading that the Vapors are more of a forward pitch to give you a little extra speed. Is this true? Or is this just BS marketing? He is a very good skater with a long stride and one of the faster kids out there on his supremes. I'm just wondering if the vapors would give him a little more speed? I know the vapors run more narrow than the supremes so it will be based on which fit him better.

Many people have said that a forward pitch gives you extra speed skating forward. I never noticed a significant speed gain myself, but I did notice that I had a lot more trouble skating backwards. Which I did not appreciate. So I'm happier with neutral pitch.

What size skates are your kid wearing? Youth sized skates might be different than adult skates. Maybe they're all neutral pitched? I have no idea. But then again (as you mentioned), fit is much more important than pitch. If the pitch is really a problem, the skate could be profiled to change the pitch. Fit can't be changed much.

Also what level do you think we should look at? He is 9 and tall for his age, but is only maybe 70lbs. (very skinny, damn kid has a 6 pack already). I made the mistake a couple years ago buying him a top of the line skate (I got a great deal), but it really hurt his performance because they were way to stiff and he couldn't flex his ankle at all.

If he's really light for his age, he shouldn't get a stiff skate. The stiffness depends on weight. I don't know the exact level, but someone at the hockey store should be able to help you out. You could go with the equivalent stiffness of the ONE20 (if the current skate is working well) or maybe try a stiffness level one step up to accommodate your kid's growth/weight gain. Again, the people at the shop will know better than me.

The shop near me has a huge selection of used skates. If you have something like that available near you, I would consider used skates, since kids grow so fast. It's easy to exchange the used skates if you find that they are the wrong stiffness or fit.

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
I've also heard rumors that the Supreme's are better suited for "bigger" players. I'm 6'1 245ish.

Could have something to do with the fact that Supremes are stiffer than Vapors. At least that's what they told me at the local hockey store.

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Maybe you heard them wrong?

No. That's what I was told. When I changed from Vapor XXV to Supreme One70, I was told that they were approximately the same stiffness. Vapor XXV was the 2nd highest in the Vapor line and Supreme One70 was 4th highest in the Supreme line.

Wasn't the old Supreme One90/One95 really stiff? Maybe times have changed?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No. That's what I was told. When I changed from Vapor XXV to Supreme One70, I was told that they were approximately the same stiffness. Vapor XXV was the 2nd highest in the Vapor line and Supreme One70 was 4th highest in the Supreme line.

Wasn't the old Supreme One90/One95 really stiff? Maybe times have changed?

See now that's where you misunderstood. Although you're correct about the placing of the skates in their respective lines, you have to remember that while that Supreme line was released 2 years ago, that Vapor line was release 5 years ago and new top end skates have traditionally replaced the previous cycle's top end. With that logic, you can compare the XXV with the X:40, X 5.0 and somewhere between a One 70 and One 80. So the guy is right. It wouldn't surprise me if they were equally as stiff. It would also not surprise me if the XXV was a bit stiffer.

Yes the One90/95 were quite stiff, you can compare them to the One100/One.9s now, even One.8s to some extent.

qmechanic

Mar 29, 2012
Interesting, thanks for clearing that up. So what's the verdict then? For every Supreme skate, there is a Vapor skate of equal stiffness?

From what you said, it sounds like Bauer skates are getting stiffer and stiffer with every new generation.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Interesting, thanks for clearing that up. So what's the verdict then? For every Supreme skate, there is a Vapor skate of equal stiffness?

From what you said, it sounds like Bauer skates are getting stiffer and stiffer with every new generation.

Yes, just look at each pricepoint.

Well I wouldn't say so, it's all about diminishing marginal production. You can only have a skate so stiff before it's unusable. Put it this way, a good skater may not notice too much of a stiffness difference coming from a One90 to a TotalOne, but will probably notice a jump from the 8090 to the T1.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a soft boot?

You lose some energy transfer when taking strides and the skate itself isn't nearly as responsive to your movements.

But the soft boot also is more forgiving if you have poor technique or are still beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille