Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice IV

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The problem is that the skates felt fine when test fitting them. There's also no way to predict how they're going to feel on the ice until you get out there, but I've never felt as weird on the ice as I do with these skates.

One thing you can try is to try on everything, even if on the surface you don't think it's going to work. Getting feed back in the moment of what definitely doesn't work may help you identify small things that seem innocuous but will become issues once you start skating.

If your current skate is a definite no, put them on at home and think about the issues you're having on the ice, then see if you can pick out anything that may have given you small clues indicating that those things would be a issue while wearing them off ice. If you can pick out the small clues, then, you can use that to find the right skate for you.

For me, I have to leave the skates on for at least 15 minutes to get a true feel for the skate. I know any small rub or pressure point it's going to be 100 times worse on the ice. Any sort of tightness will be magnified too.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
The problem is that the skates felt fine when test fitting them. There's also no way to predict how they're going to feel on the ice until you get out there, but I've never felt as weird on the ice as I do with these skates.
If I were blindfolded & tried on skates I can usually tell if they would work for my foot or not. I usually spend a min of 15mins in the skates post bake & can pick out possible issues. Not sure if you did this but I bring along the socks I'll be wearing while skating & my footbeds when shopping for new wheels. Are they covered under the 90day guarantee?

Reactions: LarryO

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I always played Bauer Vapor skates but my X600 (2015) are getting old now and start to hurt so I am looking for new skates. I use the Vapors in EE and found a decent deal for some CCM Jetspeed FT490. From what I've read, the Jetspeed are similar to the Vapor but are a little bit wider. Should I try getting the 490 in D or look at a Vapor equivalent (the 3X Pro is ~ 100 bucks more while the 3X is ~100 bucks less)

Last edited:

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I always played Bauer Vapor skates but my X600 (2015) are getting old now and start to hurt so I am looking for new skates. I use the Vapors in EE and found a decent deal for some CCM Jetspeed FT490. From what I've read, the Jetspeed are similar to the Vapor but are a little bit wider. Should I try getting the 490 in D or look at a Vapor equivalent (the 3X Pro is ~ 100 bucks more while the 3X is ~100 bucks less)
I went from my old Vapor x500's in size 7EE to a new pair of Vapor 3x size 7, Fit 2 last February. They feel great. I tried a CCM JetSpeed FT485 and it felt a bit more snug overall, especially in the toe box. With the CCM I tried a 7.5 "R", the "W" was too wide and a 7 was way too tight.

Reactions: Soedy

Neil92

Sep 3, 2018
This may be a weird question- but when you get your skates profiled, are you able to get them sharpened? and when you get them sharpened, do you just ask for the same profile to be made again?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This may be a weird question- but when you get your skates profiled, are you able to get them sharpened? and when you get them sharpened, do you just ask for the same profile to be made again?

2 different things, profiling is changing the radius of the entire blade, sharpening just changes the hollow.

You can get it profiled and sharpened yes, it's 2 different things and you'll be charged separately for them, once it's profiled you don't need to ask them to do it again when your sharpen your blade because it won't affect the radius.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00