Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Definitely the latter. Go back to page 1 and check out skates in the mid end or lower-mid end range. The ones listed are obviously current models only, so be sure to also seek out clearance skates from previous years as well for the best value.

Thanks for that, coulda saved face by going back a page and reading that first. It definitely helped a lot in my research.

I found the CCM RBZ model on clearance for $250, which I know is technically out of my skill range according to your guide, but for the price I am very interested. Im headed to a shop this week to get fitted and hopefully try it on for myself in store. Assuming I like the feel, can you think of reasons why a new player should NOT get a high end skate?

Im definitely no slouch on skates, but definitely have a lot of room for improvement. If the answer to my question is obvious, please forgive my ignorance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for that, coulda saved face by going back a page and reading that first. It definitely helped a lot in my research.

I found the CCM RBZ model on clearance for $250, which I know is technically out of my skill range according to your guide, but for the price I am very interested. Im headed to a shop this week to get fitted and hopefully try it on for myself in store. Assuming I like the feel, can you think of reasons why a new player should NOT get a high end skate?

Im definitely no slouch on skates, but definitely have a lot of room for improvement. If the answer to my question is obvious, please forgive my ignorance.

Well, that skate would be too huge of a jump from your soft X40s, not to mention having a fit profile on the other end of the spectrum. Too stiff = restrictive = not allowing you to take proper steps in learning to feel your edges and edgework.

I wouldn't recommend. The next logical step from a low end skate for a rec leaguer are mid-end models.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, that skate would be too huge of a jump from your soft X40s, not to mention having a fit profile on the other end of the spectrum. Too stiff = restrictive = not allowing you to take proper steps in learning to feel your edges and edgework.

I wouldn't recommend. The next logical step from a low end skate for a rec leaguer are mid-end models.

Thanks. I really appreciate the input. I had my doubts as well, so hearing it from someone like yourself seals it. I'll probably just go to Bauer x70s or x80s.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Sorry to keep comin back to this thread, I work second shift hours in an office, so a lot of time is spent on HF.

Not being able to get to my local HS with my garbage hours, I've been doing a lot of research on potential upgrades. Do you have an opinion on the recently discontinued Ribcor 28k's? They seem to have a fit similar to Vapors, and this model appears to be a mid-tier skate. Again, I know nothing substitutes actually wearing the skate, but just going over the options available to me in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sorry to keep comin back to this thread, I work second shift hours in an office, so a lot of time is spent on HF.

Not being able to get to my local HS with my garbage hours, I've been doing a lot of research on potential upgrades. Do you have an opinion on the recently discontinued Ribcor 28k's? They seem to have a fit similar to Vapors, and this model appears to be a mid-tier skate. Again, I know nothing substitutes actually wearing the skate, but just going over the options available to me in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

I like that boot, it'd be good value now that it's on sale.

Best thing to do if you really really cannot find the time to head to a store is to find an online retailer that has a good return policy. Order a couple pairs to try on and pick the one that fits the best. Eventually though, you'll need to head to a shop anyways to get the baked and sharpened for the first time.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Picked up a pair of RBK20K skates from the Blues equipment sale the other day, have never used RBK skates(been using Bauer Supreme) before and looking forward to using them for the first time tonight.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011

Thanks in advance.

Might want to consider protection too offered by a stiff boot. I would go maybe one or two skate models below pro if I were you. RBZ 100/90, ribcore 30k and so on. I'm 5'9 150 pounds and I use a pro level boot. Took a shot to the foot a couple of days ago and it still hurt really bad even with a pro level boot.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Protection shouldn't be high priority. Skates aren't inherently designed to protect, that's what shot blockers do. Of course if you're stuck between 2 models then it would come into play.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
If a 7.5EE supreme is slightly too big, will a 7.5D be smaller (length wise) or do I have to go 7D? Proshop doesn't have D sizes in stock atm so would have to order.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
If a 7.5EE supreme is slightly too big, will a 7.5D be smaller (length wise) or do I have to go 7D? Proshop doesn't have D sizes in stock atm so would have to order.

Yeah, 7.5D should feel slightly shorter and narrower (obviously).

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I am looking to buy a pair of inline skates, but am confused about the sizes as they do not take width into account and am trying to avoid a trip to my LHS as it's not incredibly local.
I'm looking at the inline equivalent of my current skates (Bauer Vapor x60), but I'm a EE width, so I don't think I'll be able to get by with 10.5 R (the only width Bauer offers for inline).
How many sizes should I jump up?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
R is not the only width they offer...they have D and EE too in most of their models. If your ice skates fit fine, you should stay in that size/width/family in roller. Vapor = Vapor, Supreme = Mission

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
R is not the only width they offer...they have D and EE too in most of their models. If your ice skates fit fine, you should stay in that size/width/family in roller. Vapor = Vapor, Supreme = Mission
I notice that some do, but for the X60R, they only offer R (see Bauer's page for it).

The only time they seem to go into D, EE, etc. is when you get up above $500, which is not in my price range.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah it's common for lower end models to only have that width. Think of it as a slightly wider regular Vapor D. Might work for you actually, but I would stay in the same length. Hopefully the store has a return policy that works for you if the skates don't fit.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
Thanks!

I ended up going with a version called the Bauer Supreme Comp http://www.thehockeyshop.com/bauer-supreme-one-comp-senior-skates-31549.html

Basically a 170 boot with a bunch of upgrades from the 180. Can't wait to get on the ice!

Thought I'd pop back in after some time on them

wow

I'm faster, feel stronger, turn better and somehow my weak side stopping has vastly improved with these skates. The first 3 I guess can be attributed to the stiffer boot, the last one I'm thinking that when I bought my old skates the runner was out of alignment so I had a shop shim them up and straighten everything up. I guess they still weren't perfect. The new skates allow me to control my edges substantially better.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How long does it take to break in new skates? My previous skates have always been used, and people did the heavy lifting for me. I got my skates baked and have skated in them a few times and I'm still feeling some hot spots and I got a blister last time. Is this unusual? I tie my skates very tight as I prefer that feeling, should I possibly loosen them a bit? Would that help in any way? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
How long does it take to break in new skates? My previous skates have always been used, and people did the heavy lifting for me. I got my skates baked and have skated in them a few times and I'm still feeling some hot spots and I got a blister last time. Is this unusual? I tie my skates very tight as I prefer that feeling, should I possibly loosen them a bit? Would that help in any way? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

There's no definite time frame... it really depends on each person, how often they skate, how good they are etc.

It's not unusual what you're feeling. I suggest trying them a little looser first and see if that helps. If not, definitely take them to a shop to give them a 2nd heat mold.

Murr11

Jul 8, 2014
Pittsburgh
I am in the process of purchasing new skates and have narrowed it down to the Reebok 28K and CCM RBZ 90. Is there much difference between the two?

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I am in the process of purchasing new skates and have narrowed it down to the Reebok 28K and CCM RBZ 90. Is there much difference between the two?

Just got my pair of 28k's yesterday. Baked and sharpened and ready for practice Saturday and game on Tuesday.

Not going to pretend I know a whole lot about skates, but I'll definitely post an update after I use em a few times.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA

what size are you looking for, I have a pair of RBZ 90's that I used for a few months, then ended up getting 6052 Tacks I'm also near Pittsburgh

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Finally had a chance to skate in the Ribcor 28k's. So far I really like it. It's a super comfortable fit and have had no pain breaking em in.

Only minor gripe I have is that Im not a huge fan of the lace lock. It's just a minor inconvenience when lacing up or taking em off. Also I've noticed my heel has a little more negative space than id prefer and doesnt lock in as tight as I'd like. I did order a pair of stable 26 socks to remedy that.

Overall I really enjoy the skate after 2 weeks, it didn't take much adjustment time coming from Bauer vapors.

IMO (for what its worth), the 28k is well worth the price that you can get it at currently.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
I love the lace locks and they're a great way to keep the skate tight on the lower part of the foot and let the laces be loose in the upper part of the boot.

I even still use my waxed laces.

When lacing them, make sure you're relatively quick about tightening the lower part before you get to the lace lock before they loosen too much. Then, just pull as hard as you want on the lace lock and you're set there for the rest of the game unless you made them so tight that your foot falls asleep.

The trick to dealing with the lace locks when loosening the laces is to first pull OUTWARDS on the lace you're trying to loosen on the lace lock. That will unlock it. When the lace lock is fully 'open' pull gently on the lace from the inside so that it loosens without catching and locking the lace again.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I love the lace locks and they're a great way to keep the skate tight on the lower part of the foot and let the laces be loose in the upper part of the boot.

I even still use my waxed laces.

When lacing them, make sure you're relatively quick about tightening the lower part before you get to the lace lock before they loosen too much. Then, just pull as hard as you want on the lace lock and you're set there for the rest of the game unless you made them so tight that your foot falls asleep.

The trick to dealing with the lace locks when loosening the laces is to first pull OUTWARDS on the lace you're trying to loosen on the lace lock. That will unlock it. When the lace lock is fully 'open' pull gently on the lace from the inside so that it loosens without catching and locking the lace again.

Thanks man. I may actually pick up some waxed laces. I don't hate the lace locks, just needs some getting used to I guess.

Also, IIRC, didn't you say you played Cleveland HNA? what team are you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad