Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

supadupa64

May 16, 2015
What is the widest skate available? NEXUS/RBZ?

I got the Bauer Nexus EE size 7 and it's too narrow.

Is the CCM RBZ wider than Bauer Nexus line?

Or is there another skate that is wider than Bauer Nexus?

The problem is that my foot is wider farther back towards my heel than the skate allows.

PLEASE HELP!

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
RBZ is the widest CCM skate, be sure to drop down at least a half size from the Bauer.

Better yet, go get fitted by a competent sales guy. The internet can't help fit you...

damack

Jan 3, 2014
I'm in the market for some new skates. Presently Bauer Supreme One.6, I've had them for a season (1st season playing along with many skills clinics, 200lbs) and they are starting to feel not very stiff, but since I'm new at this I was hoping for some confirmation that the boot is starting to break down. I find myself having to tighten them up more each time to get some stiffness around the ankle, and it's starting to hamper my forward range.

The Supreme's fit me very well so my notion is to stay with them, but go to a stiffer boot, say the One 8 or 9 or 180,190 whatever they call them this year. I'm also open to other brands, the CCM Tacks look appealing and from what I've read have a similar fit? I will buy at a shop and try everything on, just looking for some information to go in with.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's a good approach to take. I wouldn't recommend going up as high as the 180 or 190 (One.9) just yet. the next step up to the One.7/One.8/170 would be a great idea.

damack

Jan 3, 2014
It's a good approach to take. I wouldn't recommend going up as high as the 180 or 190 (One.9) just yet. the next step up to the One.7/One.8/170 would be a great idea.

Thanks!

2 of my local shops carry a few exclusive Bauer models at good pricing,
eg:
Supreme LTX Pro
SPORTS EXCELLENCE EXCLUSIVE
Base model: Bauer 170
48 OZ. 3-Piece felt tongue (Same as Bauer 180)
Supreme printed Eyelets (Same as Bauer 190)
Pro TPR Outsole
Hydrophobic grip liner with upgraded print (Same as Bauer 180)
3D Ultra Lightweight Tech Quarter Package
FORM-FIT with stabilizer grip Footbed
TUUK LIGHTSPEED EDGE Holder
TUUK Super Stainless Runner

Are these a good buy or is it better to stick with the standard Bauer line?

This model is sale priced at $299, whereas last year's One.7 is sale priced at $229

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tough to say, see if that thicker tongue feels any better. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's always been the case where Bauer mid end skates are better than CCM mid-end skates. For you, if you're looking at $300 Supreme models, then I would recommend jumping up to the 5052 Tacks at around $400-$450 to get the same performance level. The comparable 4052 is just a bit too soft imo. For a lighter guy, no problem.

BlackhawksOneGoal

May 25, 2015
Should I get a different skate size?

I got new skates about 2-3 weeks ago and I guess i'm a beginner skater cause I've never had lessons? I used to roller blade and I skated once in a while, like a couple years ago.

My new skates are Bauer Nexus 66 skates. I'm 5'5, 121 lbs and a girl :p.
The person that was helping my try out different skates said that no other size would fit me better. I'm a shoe size 8.5 and I've got skates, size 7.

I wear like three pairs of socks while skating,tighten my skates REALLY tight - as tight as I can and my feet still tilt inwards a bit. My toes don't exactly reach the front of my skate when I stand up so I think they're a bit big or something.

It seems fine around my ankles though. If I tilt my skate onto the tip of the blade and wiggle my foot, the skate and my ankle move together.

For these skates, I can fit 2 - almost three fingers down the back but then when I tighten them, they tighten well enough to not hurt my ankles and as I said above, to keep them in place too.

Should I get longer laces or something? or try a smaller size? I did try a size 6. It was snug even before tightening the laces sooo I don't know. What do you suggest ?

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I got new skates about 2-3 weeks ago and I guess i'm a beginner skater cause I've never had lessons? I used to roller blade and I skated once in a while, like a couple years ago.

The person that was helping my try out different skates said that no other size would fit me better. I'm a shoe size 8.5 and I've got skates, size 7.

I wear like three pairs of socks while skating,tighten my skates REALLY tight - as tight as I can and my feet still tilt inwards a bit. My toes don't exactly reach the front of my skate when I stand up so I think they're a bit big or something.

It seems fine around my ankles though. If I tilt my skate onto the tip of the blade and wiggle my foot, the skate and my ankle move together.

For these skates, I can fit 2 - almost three fingers down the back but then when I tighten them, they tighten well enough to not hurt my ankles and as I said above, to keep them in place too.

Should I get longer laces or something? or try a smaller size? I did try a size 6. It was snug even before tightening the laces sooo I don't know. What do you suggest ?

Sounds too big. What are longer laces going to do? Try a smaller size/ try a different brand.

kev85

Mar 27, 2015
skate size

I am a uk size 9 in a shoe. Would I need a skates in 8.5 uk size

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
If you have to put on 3 pairs of socks to get it to fit right you most likely have too big of skates. To minimize headaches you really want the skate to fit as well as it possibly can on its own without any crutches. I'd say skates should at least be VERY close to perfect before you buy them.

Put on ONE thin pair of socks. Lace up the skates pretty tight from your toes to your ankles. How much room is between your ankles and the skate padding at your ankle bone? If you plant your skate on the ground, without raising the skate blade off the ground at all, can you lift your heel up off your insole? Does your foot slide around in the skate side to side or front to back in a noticeable fashion? Can you get your toes to feather the tip of the toe cap at all while standing straight up?

If your answer is negative towards most of these questions it's probably time to go try on new skates. If it seems to be pretty snug all the way around with ONE pair of socks, then it could be just a matter of tying up the laces a lot more snug at game. Maybe look into a lace hook.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com

You should never wear more than one pair of socks in skates. If you do, even if you tighten the laces so tight that your feet hurt and cut off circulation, your feet will still move around in your skate.
Like others have said, one pair of thin socks is most preferable. And make sure you wear those exact socks when you're trying on skates at the store.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013

It sounds like the skates are way too big. A woman's 8.5 shoe is about a 7 men's. While shoe size isn't the best way to determine skate size, most people go drop down at least 1.5 sizes between shoe and skate size based on men's shoe sizes. So realistically you should probably be looking at skates around size 5.5 or lower (try different brands and models in various widths and sizes).

Read the first page of this thread that describes how skates should fit. You may not be used to it, but a skate should in fact feel snug before you even tie them up. You want them as tight as possible without serious pain and your toes should brush the cap while wearing 1 pair of thin socks. You don't want them to fit like running shoes where you leave a bit of room in the front and you certainly shouldn't have to crank the laces as hard as possible to keep your feet from moving around.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
How do you know when your skates are too broken down? I can safely say that my skates (CCM U+CL)are much softer then when I bought them 2 years ago but they were ridiculously stiff then.

The reason I'm asking is that, I'd either like to buy a new pair this summer before my winter season (competitive mens league) or wait one more whole year. Given the price of the RBZs which theoretically fit my hobbit feet I'm inclined to get fitted this year and maybe just leave them in the box for a year.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
When they don't give you that spring back when skating. It's hard to really give a definite answer because everyone is different. There are guys out there who have no problem skating on skates that are well past their prime with no issues. Others (some in the NHL for example), go through many pairs a season.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
When they don't give you that spring back when skating. It's hard to really give a definite answer because everyone is different. There are guys out there who have no problem skating on skates that are well past their prime with no issues. Others (some in the NHL for example), go through many pairs a season.

can you describe "spring back" in more detail?

fyi right now I am competent at skating (all major movements) but am still improving my edge work and a few specialty maneuvers like "the Crosby".

I am 205 at the moment but a fit and happy weight would be 185-190.

so I can't say it has hindered my skating yet since I am still improving...

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
can you describe "spring back" in more detail?

fyi right now I am competent at skating (all major movements) but am still improving my edge work and a few specialty maneuvers like "the Crosby".

I am 205 at the moment but a fit and happy weight would be 185-190.

so I can't say it has hindered my skating yet since I am still improving...

When performing more aggressive moves, like a hard first few strides or a sharp cut and crossover, the boot does not provide enough support and recoil. When it becomes soft enough that you're putting more effort into returning yourself to your original stance.

I would agree with you on your self-assessment. Keep working at it I suppose.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Last (dumb) question for now: Do you know or is it your opinion that CCM will continue to make a skate with the U +CL/RBZ fit profile? My concern is that I may miss my chance to buy hobbit(flat, wide but very wide in the middle, and a bit fat) fitting skates if I don't buy before the RBZs are sold out.

I've never tried Nexus (they weren't carried at my LHS) but I assume that would also be another option in case CCM decided they wanted to make only MX3 clones?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, Tacks is going to assume the position of CCM's widest/boxiest fit now that Jetspeed will be their Supreme-like contoured fit.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Hoping for a bit of help from someone while providing limited info... I just finished my first season of adult rec league and am thinking of already upgrading my skates. I wish I hadn't cheaped out in the first place and spent more than $100 on my Bauer X40s. They were fine for getting my feet wet. I don't mind the way the skate fits, but I feel like I could progress quicker with a more higher-end skate.

Summer league starts up in a few weeks, and ideally I'd like to have something newer by then, preferably spending around $200-$300. Any suggestions for a smaller skater about 5'9" and 145lbs? Or is it strictly just trying on a ton of different skates and finding the right feel?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hoping for a bit of help from someone while providing limited info... I just finished my first season of adult rec league and am thinking of already upgrading my skates. I wish I hadn't cheaped out in the first place and spent more than $100 on my Bauer X40s. They were fine for getting my feet wet. I don't mind the way the skate fits, but I feel like I could progress quicker with a more higher-end skate.

Summer league starts up in a few weeks, and ideally I'd like to have something newer by then, preferably spending around $200-$300. Any suggestions for a smaller skater about 5'9" and 145lbs? Or is it strictly just trying on a ton of different skates and finding the right feel?

Definitely the latter. Go back to page 1 and check out skates in the mid end or lower-mid end range. The ones listed are obviously current models only, so be sure to also seek out clearance skates from previous years as well for the best value.

kev85

Mar 27, 2015
getting my first skates

Tomorrow I am going to order my first pair of skates. Getting the new Bauer vapor x500 in the new x line skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad