Skate socks: hockey name brand or drugstore variety?

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
It's funny how much cash we drop on equpiment but we all recoil at the thought of a $15 sock. I did the same thing when I first saw how much they were until I finally broke down and I got a pair. I have the Bauer Vapors and have not looked back. The offer a nice snug fit and they dont move around at all. Plus they are the perfect weight, not too thick or thin.

Basically whatever works for you is good, as you can see many people find different things that work, but if your asking for my opinion I would recommend the Vapors every time.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Very thin under armour socks. You kinda have to look around for them. They aren't the normal tennis shoe type of sock.

Can't stand thick socks while skating.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I use really thin ankle socks from Foot Locker/Champs Sports. They're called 'Micro-Mini' socks. $2.99 for 2 pair, often on sale for $1.50/2pr. I do have a problem with the backs slipping down and bunching up under my heel when I skate hard. Probably should find longer socks. When they stay up they're perfect though.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I use the Vapor socks as well. My preference is to stay as light, dry and comfortable as possible. I also have a pair of the kevlar socks but they just don't feel as well as the Vapors.

Eleven

Solid As The Sun
Sep 22, 2009
Ohio
My kid swears by old baseball socks. They are plenty long and fairly durable. I don't think he has ever worn a pair out.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I prefer soccer socks, usually either Nike or Under Armour. they can be had fairly cheaply and are wicking material.
I've never skated barefoot because it makes your skates absolutely RANK! I have my own sharpening machine and when barefoot skaters give their skates I make them put dryer sheets in the boots and double-bag them. even then sometimes I have to ride home with the windows open. :laugh:

I use under armour soccer socks as well. Did bear foot for awhile. It was cool but took too much effort to get skates on and off and I don't even notice a difference. I have two pairs and mix/match and put on whatever isn't wet. Sometimes I put on what's wet and then doesn't matter after 6 seconds.

Copeland

Sep 25, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Only thing that's worked for me so far are tall dress socks (not cotton, some kind of elastic man-made material), but the problem is that they don't wick and can *sometimes* slip a little. Bought those UA hockey socks and what a waste of $17... o_O way thicker than dress socks...

Are these soccer socks you guys are talking about thin? Thinner or about the same as dress socks? Or are they in the vein of the hockey socks? And, excuse my dumb question cuz I don't play soccer, but are these the ones that go up to or near the knee? LOL sorry I just want to be clear

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Only thing that's worked for me so far are tall dress socks (not cotton, some kind of elastic man-made material), but the problem is that they don't wick and can *sometimes* slip a little. Bought those UA hockey socks and what a waste of $17... o_O way thicker than dress socks...

Are these soccer socks you guys are talking about thin? Thinner or about the same as dress socks? Or are they in the vein of the hockey socks? And, excuse my dumb question cuz I don't play soccer, but are these the ones that go up to or near the knee? LOL sorry I just want to be clear

the Nike and UA socks are pretty thin. the Addidas are more of a cottony kind of material so I steer clear of them. the ones I use come up to the knee. if you google Nike Dri-fit soccer socks you'll find several places that sell them for cheap. you can often get 2 or 3 pairs of these socks for the cost of one pair of CCM or Bauer socks. I used to use the CCM Oxysock and I really can't tell any difference (except cost) between the CCM sock and the soccer socks.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I went to Target and picked up a 3-pack of Champion socks. They were the thinnest socks I could fine. "Runners socks", ankle high, made of nylon and polyester, about $7. Last time I bought socks I picked up a 3-pack of socks that were a bit too thick. This time I went up and down the aisle and made sure the socks were thinner than all the dress socks. They were also a good deal thinner than soccer socks.

Mainly I'm tired of using black dress socks of various brands that get lost in the wash and are mismatched and don't stay up. So far they seem as thin as my Easton socks and are pretty tight around the arch (I've been having some arch pain from workouts). Going to try them out tomorrow.

I'd sure as hell like to find the missing Easton skate sock though...$15 a pair. I'm fairly certain its in a pile of my kid's clothes...

Last edited:

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

if you like them thin, go with the easton skate socks. thinnest skate socks i've seen so far and one of the cheaper ones out there to boot.

btw, you paid $15 for your easton's jarick? they go for $10 around here, northern nj.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I wear a pair of Under Armour *Hockey* Socks (not Soccer). Made of a whole different material, and are really thin as opposed to the soccer ones.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I wear a pair of Under Armour *Hockey* Socks (not Soccer). Made of a whole different material, and are really thin as opposed to the soccer ones.

I've got ~6 pairs of the Under Armour tall socks, They work great for me, a little pricey though.

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009
I've tried a few different types and have found the Nike Dri-Fits to be the best.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Wigwam thermax liners are ideal, and made for this purpose. At about $5, they are not expensive:

I wear Wigwam sock liners. They're so thin, it's the next best thing to going barefoot.
Thanks for posting these. I went out and found Gobi Liners (super thin) and Thermax Liners the other day. They're pretty much the same as my ankle socks I use, only they don't bunch up on my heel anymore. Still figuring out which thinness I prefer, thin or REALLY thin.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Thanks for posting these. I went out and found Gobi Liners (super thin) and Thermax Liners the other day. They're pretty much the same as my ankle socks I use, only they don't bunch up on my heel anymore. Still figuring out which thinness I prefer, thin or REALLY thin.

I would think the slightly thicker thermax liners would be a better choice as a thicker sock will not move/bunch up as much, could absorb more sweat, and shift around less on your foot, if at all.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
I'm actually finding the thinner Gobi Liners slightly preferable. I get a really good feel of my skates. I'll do more evaluating over time, haha.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I have some random pair of sports socks. Kind of like Under Armor but a knockoff brand. They work really well. I've tried barefoot before and couldn't walk for a couple of days afterwards because my skates messed my heels up pretty badly. I wear them to help reduce the friction between my skin and the boot.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I'm actually finding the thinner Gobi Liners slightly preferable. I get a really good feel of my skates. I'll do more evaluating over time, haha.

I used to wear the Wigwam Gobi liners and they worked quite well. The only reason I switched to the Wigwam Ultimate Liner Pro, after seeing them on a hockey website, was that the finer knit on the foot reaches about an inch higher on the ankle before changing to the coarser elastic knit around the shin. The smoother fabric makes it just a bit less irritating on the front of the ankle where the laces are tightest.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad