Skate socks: hockey name brand or drugstore variety?

IslesZoso

Apr 30, 2010
Great Neck, LI
I know this may be nit-picking, but do you pay attention to the skate socks you use?

Do you use the hockey company name-brands like Bauer, CCM or Easton? Or do you just use your plain white sports socks from K-Mart ala Hanes, Wilson or Champion, etc.

Briere Up There*

Plain white socks, preferably thick, preferably mid shin length.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
I tried a lot of different socks from dress socks to tube socks from various retail chain stores. The problem with those socks, was that they seemed to always slip and/or bunch inside my skate; sometimes causing a blister/hot spot. I purchased some of the Bauer Vapor socks and have not looked back since. The Bauer socks don't slip and my feet stay relatively comfortable (temperature wise). They have held up fairly well; I've had them for over year.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I bought a pair of the nice Easton skate socks (the gray ones) and lost one of them, so I'm back to using black dress socks. I need to buy more though. I do like that the Easton socks are a lot tighter than dress socks, but dress socks are really cheap over at Target.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
I use the ankle length Champion Duo-Dry Light socks that Target sells. I like them because they are really thin.
At some point when I start playing hockey more seriously and start wearing full pads I will likely make the switch to an actual hockey sock.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
This question has been on my mind so I'm glad you've asked it. I've been wearing regular ankle-high athletic socks and they work okay, but I was wondering what actual socks for hockey would be like. I think I would like to add some non-slip action to my socks, so maybe I'll have to check out the vapor ones mentioned above...

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I did not know such a thing existed. You guys who use hockey-specific socks: what have been the advantages? I've never had an issue with socks slipping/being too cold, etc. And I always just wear whatever it is that I'm wearing when I go to the rink.

rwr

Nov 4, 2009
if i wear socks, they are the moisture repelling type (underarmour style)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If you have skates that fit well thin socks are definitely the best, thick socks are really only a good idea for skates that fit poorly. I will often use thin athletic socks, which work fine, but I also have a pair of these that I love:

http://www.puckskin.com/prod_socks.html

I bought just one pair at a LHS though, and they were $10 (on this site they only come in packs of 2 for $26). They're thin, soft, and just feel real nice inside my skates. If you have problem with heel hold in your skates, though, I don't think they'd do anything, not a "gripy" sock at all, but if you have skates that fit you well they're super comfortable.

swede84

Mar 21, 2010
the sin bin
for me personally, I only pay attention to the kind of socks I wear when I am breaking in a new pair of skates. And even then, its just a typical athletic sock you could buy at the dollar store. Once my skates are broken in, I will wear whatever... I have worn ankle cut socks since often time I walk into the rink I'm in shorts. I would skate with no socks, but I like having something to keep my skates from absorbing all the sweat

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Ive had these snug thin socks that come up to lower calve that I got a 5 pack for 10$ or somethin like that years ago from Academy. Great sock, holds up well for a few hours, doesnt keep your foot soaked so its wrinkly or anything after.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I prefer soccer socks, usually either Nike or Under Armour. they can be had fairly cheaply and are wicking material.
I've never skated barefoot because it makes your skates absolutely RANK! I have my own sharpening machine and when barefoot skaters give their skates I make them put dryer sheets in the boots and double-bag them. even then sometimes I have to ride home with the windows open. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad