Skate sharpening..What cut do you use?

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
5'9 165lbs - Goalie - I use 5/8, 1/4 once dulled down works great for me as well... I think i'll try 9/16 next time.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
forward, 5'10 175lbs

I used to just hand my skates in at the rink and they knew me and just did what I had said worked in the past. Turns out it was 1/2" and I've always stuck with that.

RoninNYR

Jan 31, 2011
NJ
Two questions:

1. What is this 100/50 fbv stuff everyone keeps talking about? I only know the inch system...

2. I am an excellent skater, very fast, excellent at balancing edges at speed, great endurance and quick explosive mid stride... except When i play on soft ice... I get exhausted and loose all explosiveness

6ft 200 lbs (~10% bf, all legs) 1/2 inch cut on the hard ice partial outdoor rink and i am flying, i am able to accelerate quick change direction on demand and never get tired..

My league rink has very soft ice and it seems like i am skating in mud. I cannot accelerate and maintain speed like i want, i just get exhausted.

I noticed that when skating on the hard ice i am able to do that one legged glide to stop over 15 ft from a fast speed.

At my league rink where the ice is warm i would tip over and break my neck if i tried that.

I assume my cut is too deep.. What cut should i try?

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I'm about 115lb and use 1/2". The guy who sharpens my skates is the same guy who does them for the Seattle Thunderbirds and he always does them perfect. Last time I was chatting with him about sharpenings, he mentioned that he recommends shallower hollows for new skaters (he sharpened my 10-year-old daughter's skates to 5/8") because it makes it easier to learn how to stop and pivot.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I'm about 115lb and use 1/2". The guy who sharpens my skates is the same guy who does them for the Seattle Thunderbirds and he always does them perfect. Last time I was chatting with him about sharpenings, he mentioned that he recommends shallower hollows for new skaters (he sharpened my 10-year-old daughter's skates to 5/8") because it makes it easier to learn how to stop and pivot.

Yeap! Going from 3/8 to 5/8 made a big difference for me learning to stop.

Kulluminati

Jan 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hmm I usually hand them over to the guy who sharpens my skates and say "could you sharpen these for me?" So I'm gonna assume its 1/2", but now I'm curious to try out some of these other cuts, could someone recommend one? I'm 5'9" and 155lbs and a very good skater.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I like 1/2" but if playing during the summer, I'll change it to 5/8's to get a better glide and I just am not a fan of FBV yet

intrestingly... I find that those who don't like 1/2 or sharper, i.e. 3/8's... is mostly not because they can't glide, but rather that they cannot stop or are not used to the quicker weight transfer

simply... most of the time, its a weaker skater who has their skates tied too tight preventing the ability to articulate the ankle and well.. haven't developed the strength

I like 3/8's, its great if I play as a winger but I am definately slower on that glide when playing center or a d'man, that I am

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
1/2". The guy who does mine accidently did the FBV recently (95/50 IIRC) and I didn't like it as much as the standard 1/2". Didn't feel like I had as much bite coming out of turns or in the first couple strides.

I Am The Mole

DERPINGTON DERPITALS
May 3, 2010
Lexington Park, MD
1/2" or 7/16" seem to be the most default sharpenings depending on where you go. I used this chart http://icehockeyxchange.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HollowGrindChart.pdf to determine mine a while back. Seems dead on for me 180lbs 6'1 and i use 1/2"

This is gonna sound silly, but this chart confuses the hell out of me.

I'm 200 lbs., get around just fine but haven't been skating long at all, still learning the mechanics of applying my skating to the game. Currently skating on a 5/8"s because that's what the guy at the pro shop sharpened them to when he gave them to me.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
1/2" or 7/16" seem to be the most default sharpenings depending on where you go. I used this chart http://icehockeyxchange.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HollowGrindChart.pdf to determine mine a while back. Seems dead on for me 180lbs 6'1 and i use 1/2"
The irony of that chart is that a good skater knows how to use his/her edges and will not require as deep a hollow to get proper grip. And the benefit will be better glide from the more shallow hollow. So it's best to use the shallowest hollow that gives you sufficient grip. Of course personal preference also comes into play to a certain extent. But, Paul Coffey had one of the most efficient strides in the NHL. He used a hollow of greater than 1". According to that chart, he would be a beginner!

Last edited:

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
I am pondering giving the FBV a try. I'm 6'1 235lb...Is there a certain cut of the FBV I should be looking at using?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
OpenIceHit42 said:
I am pondering giving the FBV a try. I'm 6'1 235lb...Is there a certain cut of the FBV I should be looking at using?

What do you use in a standard cut?

I go with 3/8" for standard or 100/75 with Flat Bottom V. I haven't looked back since going to FBV. If you're a 1/2" in a standard cut then try 100/50 in FBV.

Triple Deke

Nov 28, 2006
Calgary
Here's a graphic on FBV measure with traditional
fbv%20posters.jpg

Myself, I use 100/50 FBV, but might experiment with more "bite" on next sharpening.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
What do you use in a standard cut?

I go with 3/8" for standard or 100/75 with Flat Bottom V. I haven't looked back since going to FBV. If you're a 1/2" in a standard cut then try 100/50 in FBV.

I use ½†regular in the standard cut. A couple of my buddies use the FVB and love it. We’ve got a game tonight and I am going to get my skates sharpened after work and was a little nervous making the switch on game day

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Here's a graphic on FBV measure with traditional

Myself, I use 100/50 FBV, but might experiment with more "bite" on next sharpening.

Thanks for that! I've had it backwards the whole time. I was using 100/50 at first and then switched to 90/75 because the 100/50 felt slippery. I thought I was going from 5/8" to 1/2", but apparently the other way around.

Last month I had my skates sharpened for the first time in 3 months (I like them dull) at 90/75 and I was catching edges and falling over all game. Had them go "shallower" and he said 90/50 was the next one up but I was confused. Perfect for me. So I'm on 1" radius huh? :amazed:

I'd say I'm getting better at skating but in reality I'm about 15 pounds fatter than this time last year...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I assume my cut is too deep.. What cut should i try?

I would really try the FBV. For me I was going nuts and my sharpenings felt strange as I play at about 15-20 rinks. FBV seemed to "even them out" so I don't need to play with my sharpenings so often. I went from every 2-3 weeks to every 2-3 months in sharpenings.

The edges feel a lot sharper but they don't catch as easily. I had used everything between 3/8" and 3/4" and the FBV had more bite on the very edge than 3/8" but more glide than 3/4". Does that make sense?

Another way to put it, let's say the edge digs in when you lean say 45 degrees with the regular sharpening...for me it's more like I have to lean 60 degrees with FBV. But when you lean, it digs in way more so you can stop, turn, and transition quicker. But with more glide/speed skating forward and backward in straight lines.

newfr4u

Aug 29, 2011
which sharpener do you use for FBV? are you one of the lucky ones who has on in the area?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad