Skate sharpener problems

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
how are you holding the spinners.do you need slight pressure against the top part of the spinner,or are you just tightening up against the bearing hub?I have made a holder,but need help on the holder part.

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
I had a skate shop sharpen my my skates with the fbv 90/75.at the time I didnt have a tool to measure the depth of the hollow.I have tried sharpening my skates now myself with the 90/75 on a converter system for my machine.the glide is still great but the edges feel more like the bite of 1/2 roh.I am getting about a .0025 of depth.does this sound right?

maineskate

Aug 3, 2010
OMHA Forum

You could also try posting this in the OMHA forum, there are a few guys in there that eat, sleep, and breathe skate sharpening.

Ok, so I'm an idiot! Now that's out of the way, will you please tell me how to locate the OMHA Forum?

seabird

Sep 26, 2010
spinners for wissota

just bumping to see if anyone is making a spinner system for the wissota using the blackstone spinners

hamburglar

Jun 10, 2009
Check with Wissota, they make a $200 universal holder, same design, maybe even better than the one Blackstone sells for $1500, and Blademaster for $800. IMO those prices are ridiculous and they're taking advantage of a market with few options. The Wissota price is very reasonable, but you have to buy the larger spinner direct from Blackstone as the wissota wheel is thicker than the mini-spinners.

Eriks334

Apr 3, 2012
It's actually quite normal to have to make those adjustments from skate to skate. Remember, steel thickness varies slightly from brand to brand.

Having a 'master setting' that works for all skates would be nice, but I'm not familiar with such a holder...

As for the goalie skate...we use a different holder for goal skates:

b_SH5000.jpg

There hasn't been a skate I haven't been able to do...

Why do you think blademaster does not sell this holder anymore??

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
That's actually pretty good, since you can do both regular hollows and FBV.

I have no knowledge of skate sharpening or the machine itself but I think for every FBV/Radius it needs a "mini spinner" which appears to cost $15.. investing in one crossed my mind as it would maybe pay for itself after a few years but I don't think I would be able to experiment with the different cuts without purchasing the $15 spinners for each cut

Can anyone clarify that is how the machines work? If it was more simple turn a knob or make a few adjustments I might have been sharpening my own skates by now

hamburglar

Jun 10, 2009
The mini spinners from blackstone are $55 and the larger ones are around $85. the BFD shapers from blademaster are around $150. You need a system that will hold one of these spinners and dress your wheel. it can be integrated into the sharpener, or be a standalone piece that you touch up to the grinding wheel. at a minimum you're looking at hundreds of dollars to let a traditional system do FBV or BFD.

I have no knowledge of skate sharpening or the machine itself but I think for every FBV/Radius it needs a "mini spinner" which appears to cost $15.. investing in one crossed my mind as it would maybe pay for itself after a few years but I don't think I would be able to experiment with the different cuts without purchasing the $15 spinners for each cut

Can anyone clarify that is how the machines work? If it was more simple turn a knob or make a few adjustments I might have been sharpening my own skates by now

Fisher sports

Feb 2, 2013
Two things

Bauer ccm Reebok Graf all use different thickness blades..
on a side note if the blade is bent you will never get a true center if you don't straighten it.
90% of the skates i see have a huge bend in them.

some times you need to sharpen off center. :amazed:

If you have questions feel free to contact me

www.fisher-sports-hockey.com

coiner

Jun 11, 2009
Update for FBV spinner holder

Haven't had any requests in a while, it might have to do with the difficulties in getting a spinner center to the exact blade center height. It also may have to do with slight inconsistencies in the spinners themselves. See the link below for a pic of the profile left by a fbv spinner, round hollow spinner, and circular diamond dresser.

http://s20.postimage.org/pwus1ifnx/hollows.jpg

It gets tough to align a skate blade, even when you're using a universal spinner holder. If the holder holds the spinner parallel to the table, that's good, but it needs to be at the right height. If you need to tilt the skate holder a bit forwards or backwards in order to meet the center of the dressing, the flat on the bottom of the skate won't actually be flat.
If you're using a tangent finder, it becomes SO much more tricky, because adjusting the tangent wheel not only changes the angle of the skate blade, it changes the height, so often when you have a high top edge, you adjust, and end up with an even higher top edge! The 3-D Wissota holder will make it less troublesome, but based on all the issues seen, it's doable, you just have to be careful doing it.

Wilson79

May 15, 2021
Hi, my blackstone tri lie figure skate sharpener is having issues. the knobs are becoming almost impossible to turn. it has the clicking knob and im assuming that it has something to do with the clicking mechanism or the bearing inside it not being able to roll freely. If anyone has any answers i would greatly appreciate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad