Skate sharpener problems

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
Hi guys. I have a BR200 edge gauge from Blademaster, similar to the BR100 Headcoach mentioned above. I used it for several months always placing it heel-toe, and then one day realized that if I check the edge in the exact same spot on the runner, but going toe-heel it is quite different. I suppose this means that the base part of the tool, the one that fastens to the runner with a thumb screw isn't 90 degrees to begin with. I returned it to the local rep here and we went through a box of these that he had - none of them would give the same reading if you reversed a skate going heel-toe and then toe-heel - which I guess meant that none of them were 100% accurate. Do any of you know of a similar tool that another company manufactures that you use that has proven to give a very precise reading? I saw one at Blackstone's site, but aren't too exicted to shell out another $150+ if this isn't something that will give me very accurate results. I think that Maximum Edge puts one out too... also pricy unless I know it will be more reliable than the BR200 I bought from Blademaster.
Any advice here appreciated. Thanks!

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
I can get them all centered eventually but I should not have to make adjustments from skate to skate like that.
Even one skate from the same pair will even be off center from it's mate, usually buy at least 1 thous.
This is not bent blades. I make sure on the Rebocks to unlace so theres no clearance problems and have even taken the blade right out of the holder.
How can the holder be set for my 95s dead on and then be 3 thou off on a bare blade?? I keep the table clean, AM VERY CAREFUL to mount the skates the same way......I just don't get it. I'm thinking maybe the holder is off or bent
Second issue with the holder is clearance.
I know exactly what your going through with both the goalie skates and the centering of skates from one to another.
I had my old Blademaster machine and skate holder working the nuts! Very rarely did I have to adjust the skate holder. It was dead nuts everytime and when it was a little off on a skate, I switched to my back up holder because I didnt want to touch how perfect my primary holder was. I did have a third holder for child skates which seem to have a little thicker blade. I went 2 years with little to no adjustment on my primary holder. I checked every single skate with a level and a square.
NOW!!! I recently upgraded to a new blademaster machine with 2 SH2000 holders. Seems like I have to adjust them for every single skate that I put on them. These holders do have the springs for the weight of the boot. I tried removing the springs with the same results. There is no doubt there is an issue. It shouldnt take 15 or more minutes to sharpen a pair of skates. I'll get it figured out and report back with the results.
Frank

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
Hi guys. I have a BR200 edge gauge from Blademaster, similar to the BR100 Headcoach mentioned above. I used it for several months always placing it heel-toe, and then one day realized that if I check the edge in the exact same spot on the runner, but going toe-heel it is quite different. I suppose this means that the base part of the tool, the one that fastens to the runner with a thumb screw isn't 90 degrees to begin with. I returned it to the local rep here and we went through a box of these that he had - none of them would give the same reading if you reversed a skate going heel-toe and then toe-heel - which I guess meant that none of them were 100% accurate. Do any of you know of a similar tool that another company manufactures that you use that has proven to give a very precise reading? I saw one at Blackstone's site, but aren't too exicted to shell out another $150+ if this isn't something that will give me very accurate results. I think that Maximum Edge puts one out too... also pricy unless I know it will be more reliable than the BR200 I bought from Blademaster.
Any advice here appreciated. Thanks!

I have tried several of these tools. Every single one had the same issue you described. I am convinced there is no tool that is perfect. The last one I got is as close as I am going to get. There are other ways I check the squareness of the edges that are a little time consuming but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing my skates are sharpened perfect when they leave here. Every once in a while I will sharpen a skate then flip it over on the holder to see if the stone still cuts down the center of the blade.
I highly doubt you will find a tool that is perfect but if you do, please let me know the what you came up with.
Frank

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
That sounds like a Wissota, and they can custom make. I've heard good things about the Tri-Lie too.

If you want to do FBV, all you need are the spinners. I had someone make this for me, hopefully the pics come through. The spinner holder is clamped in the skate holder and has the same thickness as a skate blade. Can hold up to 7 spinners and the spinner centers are exactly (or within a couple thousandths) of the skate blade center, so all you have to do is touch the spinner to the wheel, remove, insert skate, and sharpen. Nice thing is it will work with any existing tabletop system, any height holder, maybe even a dupliskate. Has worked fine.
I would really be interested in one of these. I'll send you a PM for info on 1.
Frank

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
I am new to this site and found it by googling "skate sharpening problems". Do any of you guys know of any sites/forums dedicated to skate sharpening.
Thanks
Frank

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I am new to this site and found it by googling "skate sharpening problems". Do any of you guys know of any sites/forums dedicated to skate sharpening.
Thanks
Frank

Closest would be modSquadHockey, which is dedicated to hockey equipment. You can ask about sharpening there, and there are a load of experts there. There is overlap here too, but you'll got a much higher concentration of gearheads there.

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
Frank:
I just bought an Edgechecker from edgechecker dot com and am very happy with it so far. I originally found the guy on youtube demoing the product, emailed him explaining my problem - he called me on the phone and basically told me that was the reason he designed his own, and now sells them at a very reasonable price ($50 instead of the $100+ I paid for the BR100 and BR200). It's a very simple design - it fastens onto the runner magetically instead of with a thumbscrew. The design on his site isn't quite what he shipped - he said he's gone with a new design. The new design has lines instead of colored circles, and the entire base that goes along the runner is magnetic instead of having a magnet on the outside (actually I think I may have liked the magnet on the outside instead).
Anyways... received it last Friday. Sharpened a pair to dead level holding the skate one way, flipped the skate around and it measured dead level that way too! Finally!!
I do really like this and have used it instead of the Blademaster products I have and will not go back. If one edge shows high and I flip the skate around, that same edge shows the same difference. I am 100% sure that this one is a perfect 90 degrees. I'd imagine that the very simple design helps to ensure the accuracy in manufacturing.
I could upload a pic of the one he sent me if you want (don't have it at home here so might take a few days).

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
Zunah,
I got one of them too. Did you get it from Seymour in Canada. What a super guy. He didnt even ask for payment until I tested it out first. His is the best I have used so far but it is still a little off from one side to the other. Not much though, just a bit. $50 is a great deal. Thats what I paid shipped. Funny, I just emailed Seymour a couple days ago and told him I want another one.
I had some time to kill yesterday so I took a ride up to Blademaster, they're only 30 miles from me. Wow! A warehouse full of sharpening supplys and machines, new & used. I was in heaven. Chuck & Charlie are great guys to deal with.
Good luck,
Frank

Last edited:

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
Hi Frank,
Yes, Seymour was who I spoke to - he was very helpful. $50 included shipping for me as well. I did ask him to double check the one he would send me to make sure it was 90 degrees. Was the one you got the newer design with the lines instead of the circles, and the magnetic strip along the base?
I've attached some pics of the one he sent me. The last two are a measurement taken in the exact same position on the runner - but on opposite sides (heel to toe and then toe to heel), which proves it to be a perfect 90.

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
Yup that is the same exact one that I got from Seymour last year. Looks like yours is a little more percise than mine. But it's still the only one I use now. I use it on every single skate I sharpen, before & after. I actually threw my BR200 away and gave away an "Edge checker Copy". I will be ordering another Edge Checker just to have as a back up.
Do you sharpen skates as a profession or just for personal use. What machine are you using & how do you like it. I just bought a near new Blademaster BR943XF with all the goodies. Mark 3 radius kit, blade sraightener, height comparator gauge, several SH 2000 holders, a bench with rivet press and several extras. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Only down fall is that it's a 4 wire 220 power supply instead of 110. I spoke with the guys at Blademaster and they said 220 was ordered as an option. He says he knows the machine, he sold it new to the guy I bought it from not 3 years ago and the guy was very meticulous with it. He says I bought a gem. SCORE!!!
Frank

Last edited:

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
Just for personal use and for some friends. Between myself who still plays 2-3 times per week and having two kids who play 10 month per year I was spending over $500 each year on sharpening. I also coach 2 teams and will so some of the kids' now and then. I had a real good guy locally nearby who I trusted and who always did very nice work - he sold his business about a year ago so I figured it was a good time to learn the trade and start doing it myself. There are some true professionals for sure, but also many places with kids who were trained in 10 minutes and who you see sharpen 5 pairs without ever adjusting the holder. The local Play it Again Sports here is pretty notorious for poor work.
I bought a very slightly used Blackstone portable off someone locally - it is this model:
hxxp://www.blackstonesport.com/product_details.cfm?product_id=43
Sold it to me with a Blademaster holder for $1500CDN. I asked the local Blademaster rep his opinion of the machine and he recommended it highly. The only real negative is having the small table top, but it hasn't really been a problem. It's very nice to take on tournaments - we were just away last weekend for a tournament and you can't beat having your own machine for those occasions when you finish Saturday night at 9:00 and play the finals the next morning at 8:00am and realize that your kid's skates badly need a sharpening. Kind of peace of mind to have it along...

The guy I bought it from has been sharpening for 30+ years and was real good about training me beforehand. I'm pretty anal about sharpening and like to think that I am at the point where I do very good work - at least that's the feedback I've got from friends, and I am picky about my own skates too...I'm pretty meticulous by nature - probably to a fault. ;) But sharpening is kind of theraputic for me after a stressful day at work... don't think I'd ever like a lineup of 30 people and having to rush, but doing 5-6 pairs while having a beer suits me fine.

younger

Jan 26, 2010
Edge Checker

I would like to order an Edge Checker in Canada
can someone provide me with a phone number or email address

The Skate Truck

Jan 19, 2010
Boston area
I hear you Zunah, thats the same reason I got into it. Never planed on buying the machine I did, just played out that way. Blackstone makes a nice portable. Did you get the case with it. If so thats a super deal. I know what you mean about the small table but it should be plenty. I had Blademaster portable. I thought it would be great to take to tournaments as you mentioned but I never got around to it. I just sold it. I needed the money to put towards the new machine. It was also like new. I got $1,100 for it with an older Guspro holder. Also sold my 2 head Blademaster unit for the same reason. Both machines had to ge to make room for the new one plus paid for more than 1/2 of my new one.
I was doing the same as you, then started charging $5 a pair or selling punch cards. It dosent sound like much but it adds up quick when your name gets out there.
Good luck,
Frank

Last edited:

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
Hi Frank. No case came with it, but the wood shop teacher here at work is supposed to make one up for me! Payback will be lifetime free skate sharpenings for him and his kids... :)

I looked up that machine you just bought... that is one pretty sweet operation! I wouldn't mind moving to a dual head blademaster or blackstone one day and setting something up permanently in the garage. For now this will have to do though! Hard to find a good used machine out here at a reasonable price unless it's ancient.

Last edited:

younger

Jan 26, 2010
Spinner System built for Holder

Has anyone else made or had a system made for holding the spinner in a skate holder as shown in the pictures.

Thanks

zunah

Jan 2, 2010
I would really be interested in one of these. I'll send you a PM for info on 1.
Frank

Coiner or Frank: do you know if this guy is interested in making a few of these to sell? I may be interested if he is... Please PM me if you can.
thx!

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
grinding wheel question for fbv

That sounds like a Wissota, and they can custom make. I've heard good things about the Tri-Lie too.

If you want to do FBV, all you need are the spinners. I had someone make this for me, hopefully the pics come through. The spinner holder is clamped in the skate holder and has the same thickness as a skate blade. Can hold up to 7 spinners and the spinner centers are exactly (or within a couple thousandths) of the skate blade center, so all you have to do is touch the spinner to the wheel, remove, insert skate, and sharpen. Nice thing is it will work with any existing tabletop system, any height holder, maybe even a dupliskate. Has worked fine.

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0029.jpg
[/QU

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
grinding wheel question for fbv sharpening

Hi Coiner,

I am new to this site.I too am building a holder for a spinner wheel.it looks like you have a wissotta holder.if you do in fact have a wissotta machine,what are you using for grinding wheels.are you using the 5/16" thickness wheels that blackstone uses?any info would be appreciated

thanks

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
the spinners dont dress the wheel true?are they having problems?any info would be helpful.

metal man

Mar 8, 2010
okay thanks.my jig has a mag base with a ball bearing linear slide.looks just like theirs.I mahined out my own pieces.thanks for the info

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad