Skate sharpener problems

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
I started to post this in the FBV thread but figured it would get lost , plus, it's a different topic.
I recently bought an Xo1 and I've got the 100/75 and the 90/75
The FBV is different, no doubt. I love the cut and the machine (90/75 is fast) but the holder from Blackstone I'm not crazy about.
I'm having problems with the centering. (one-95/Vapor 40/ Vapor 25/ Rebock 9K) I can set the holder to be dead balls level on the 95s. Then go and do the vapors and I'm off 2 thousands.
Go to the 9Ks and Im off like 3 thousands or more, (using the Blademaster gauge) I can get them all centered eventually but I should not have to make adjustments from skate to skate like that.
Even one skate from the same pair will even be off center from it's mate, usually buy at least 1 thous.
This is not bent blades. I make sure on the Rebocks to unlace so theres no clearance problems and have even taken the blade right out of the holder.
How can the holder be set for my 95s dead on and then be 3 thou off on a bare blade?? I keep the table clean, AM VERY CAREFUL to mount the skates the same way......I just don't get it. I'm thinking maybe the holder is off or bent
Second issue with the holder is clearance. My Sons goalie skates (Graff) cannot be done on that holder, period. Yes, I tried to remove the screw and do it.
Aside from all that, great machine. I recommend it.

Also, does anyone know of a custom skate holder that is made in Minnesota? Supposed to be high end, custom made holder. I was told you measure from the table to the center of your wheel and give them the measurement and they will then make a holder that has one adj. knob. Sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks.

Last edited:

47milesbarbwire

Jul 10, 2007
It's possible that gravity is your enemy. Boot pulls down and the blade goes up. Blademaster used to have a holder that had a spring to help support the boot to help prevent that. (not sure how well they worked though) You'll know if this is the case if the edges are even in the middle but high at the heel and toe.

AHF

Apr 21, 2004
Edmonton
I can get them all centered eventually but I should not have to make adjustments from skate to skate like that.

It's actually quite normal to have to make those adjustments from skate to skate. Remember, steel thickness varies slightly from brand to brand.

Having a 'master setting' that works for all skates would be nice, but I'm not familiar with such a holder...

As for the goalie skate...we use a different holder for goal skates:

b_SH5000.jpg

There hasn't been a skate I haven't been able to do...

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
he's probably using a tri-lie. the dial on the tri-lie clicks in increments. It might not be as easy to get it as precise as the Blademaster and Blackstones with the levers.

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Thanks for the reply's, I wasn't gonna sell this board short...lol
According to Blackstone, they agree with U AHF.. There is going to be adjustments from skate to skate if your looking for absolute perfection like I am.
Hey, how many times have you had a LHS tell you all the blades are the same thickness so they NEVER have to adj anything?? That's the reason I bought my own machine in the first place.
I still want to try another holder though..
I should be getting my 100/50 spinner tomorrow..:)

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
The clamp a Manager was telling me about is actually the EZ sharp clamp. Anyone used this?
http://www.e-zsharp.com/QuickActionClamp.htm

I skate on the 100/50 tonight.
My Daughter just tried it and over the phone said it was sharper than the 90/75 and she was getting some chatter on stops w/it but that she could adjust to it.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
My former employer in MI had E-Z Sharps in their regular sporting good stores (not the hockey stores). I didn't like the holder. They still managed to butcher skates with them. Not only that, you just can't finesse with that thing. I use my fingertips when I'm holding the holder.

I have an X02 and I miss my Tri-Lie but I'd rather have knobs than levers. The X01/X02 one is not bad, I've fought with it a few times, but I think I'm going to put a spring on the bolt to lock it into place.

Last edited:

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
The clamp a Manager was telling me about is actually the EZ sharp clamp. Anyone used this?
http://www.e-zsharp.com/QuickActionClamp.htm

I skate on the 100/50 tonight.
My Daughter just tried it and over the phone said it was sharper than the 90/75 and she was getting some chatter on stops w/it but that she could adjust to it.

I use 90/75 but was thinking about going level up for the bite. How bad is the chatter?

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Thanks for the Clamp info. I Do like the machined surfaces where the skate touch's but was concerned about the only one Adjustment.

I skated 2-1/2 hours pick-up last night and it was my first time on the 100/50. It is the cats Meow...I'm 200# and my girls are about 110 and 120, very good skaters. They both loved it and said it was the best grind out of the 3
100/50 does not have that on top of the ice feeling when coasting like the 90/75 but was not as grabby as the 100/75.
I felt Glued to the ice. It feels more stable. I would lose an edge a lot with the 90/75 but not with the 100/50.
We had no chatter. We think she did when she first tried it because she was taking a skating lesson working on edges, getting ready for try outs. In a game, there was no chatter at all, smooth stops.

three hours sleep and I'm off to spring hockey with a Bantam....:help:

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
It looks like a Blademaster.

I like the idea behind the minute adjustments of the levers, but inevitably they get butchered by shop employees and right now I can't afford my own.

The tri-lie was pretty close for me though, but I had about 90% LS2s to work with.

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
I hear ya, the BM stuff is pretty pricey.
I want something w/machined surfaces where skate contact is made.
I like the dials on the Tri Lie except the pitch one confuses me a little.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Also, does anyone know of a custom skate holder that is made in Minnesota? Supposed to be high end, custom made holder. I was told you measure from the table to the center of your wheel and give them the measurement and they will then make a holder that has one adj. knob. Sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks.

Here a manufacture of a skate sharpening machine in Minnesota.
http://www.wissota.com/top.htm

I too, have a Blade master jig that told skates.
b_SH2000.jpg

Notice the adjustable levers on each side. This will allow you to get the stone at the center of the blade.

Plus, I recommend you invest in this...
b_BR100.jpg

This is a two part gauge that has an incremental ruler on one side and the other piece sits on the blade next to the gauge. The second piece, while resting up against the ruler will tell you how far off the cut or edge is before you sharpen the blade.

Then it's just a matter of knowing how far the stone needs to be to make that edge even. But this comes with experience. The more you sharpen skates, the better you will get the hang of knowing how much edge to take off when you have a bad egde.

But this tool seems to help out alot. It's worth the money.

Head coach

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I actually bought the Blademaster pro gauge before I even purchased the machine. A must have IMHO
You missread my posts though. I was not looking for sharpening machine info but a "holder" that was made in Minnisotta. I then posted later in the thread that the one I was being told about was an EZ sharp and pretty much answered my own question
I'm fully aware of the Wissotta products as well.
I'm starting to get really used to the Tri Lie.
Still having to make adjustments from pair to pair but maybe that's not a bad thing.
I would however like one with machined surfaces where it makes contact with the blade and not cast surfaces and handles on the base.

ModSquad

Jan 26, 2005
www.modsquadhockey.com
SWM - the holder that comes with the X01/X02 is not the Tri-Lie.

It is a downspec'd version of it. The regular Tri-Lie has a conventional clamp and handles on the base.

Regardless, I still think a three-dial system is better than a levered holder. I suggest putting a spring on the screw by the clamp (keeps it constant)

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Ahhh...Thanks for clearing that up. I need to go to the catalog and look at the tri-lie then, sounds like what I need.
I guess that's a good idea with the spring.

spare parts

Feb 18, 2009
Skte sharpening questions

Your contact in Ottawa is: RCN enterprise, 613-230-0841.

Richard is the Blackstone (trie-lie) rep in ottawa.

JM

coiner

Jun 11, 2009
Thanks.

That sounds like a Wissota, and they can custom make. I've heard good things about the Tri-Lie too.

If you want to do FBV, all you need are the spinners. I had someone make this for me, hopefully the pics come through. The spinner holder is clamped in the skate holder and has the same thickness as a skate blade. Can hold up to 7 spinners and the spinner centers are exactly (or within a couple thousandths) of the skate blade center, so all you have to do is touch the spinner to the wheel, remove, insert skate, and sharpen. Nice thing is it will work with any existing tabletop system, any height holder, maybe even a dupliskate. Has worked fine.

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0029.jpg

Last edited:

chiefs17

Oct 16, 2007
connecticut
I started to post this in the FBV thread but figured it would get lost , plus, it's a different topic.
I recently bought an Xo1 and I've got the 100/75 and the 90/75
The FBV is different, no doubt. I love the cut and the machine (90/75 is fast) but the holder from Blackstone I'm not crazy about.
I'm having problems with the centering. (one-95/Vapor 40/ Vapor 25/ Rebock 9K) I can set the holder to be dead balls level on the 95s. Then go and do the vapors and I'm off 2 thousands.
Go to the 9Ks and Im off like 3 thousands or more, (using the Blademaster gauge) I can get them all centered eventually but I should not have to make adjustments from skate to skate like that.
Even one skate from the same pair will even be off center from it's mate, usually buy at least 1 thous.
This is not bent blades. I make sure on the Rebocks to unlace so theres no clearance problems and have even taken the blade right out of the holder.
How can the holder be set for my 95s dead on and then be 3 thou off on a bare blade?? I keep the table clean, AM VERY CAREFUL to mount the skates the same way......I just don't get it. I'm thinking maybe the holder is off or bent
Second issue with the holder is clearance. My Sons goalie skates (Graff) cannot be done on that holder, period. Yes, I tried to remove the screw and do it.
Aside from all that, great machine. I recommend it.

Thanks.

SWM, the weight of the boot is making the holder sag. I experienced the same problem with my holder, I also have an X01. There isn't anything you can do about it. The holder is junk, there are alot of other problems with it as well. I also had a hard time with my son's goalie skates which are size 1EE. I needed to grind away a lot of material on the underside of the top clamp on the holder. This was interfering with the cowling of the goalie skate. I also have to mount his skates toe first in the holder. It's still a real pain to do them but it's possible now. Good luck!

Hey, that spinner holder is a great idea!

walterk

Jun 12, 2009
Wow! I'm impressed

That sounds like a Wissota, and they can custom make. I've heard good things about the Tri-Lie too.

If you want to do FBV, all you need are the spinners. I had someone make this for me, hopefully the pics come through. The spinner holder is clamped in the skate holder and has the same thickness as a skate blade. Can hold up to 7 spinners and the spinner centers are exactly (or within a couple thousandths) of the skate blade center, so all you have to do is touch the spinner to the wheel, remove, insert skate, and sharpen. Nice thing is it will should with any existing tabletop system, maybe even a dupliskate.

I also have a Wissota sharpener. Is there any chance I could get your friend to make me a spinner holder? I would pay for it.
You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Hey Chief, I read all your post on the other board so I know the problems you've had.Good info... I follow that thread. I hear ya on the goalie skates. I could not do my sons Graff 750 goalies or his Bauer one95 goalies either...I do long for a better holder but have been getting the job done. Blackstone has not added a new one to their catalog that I could see.
Hey, do you play adult league and if yes, what rink?
I skate in Nfd but was at a stick time in Shelton and met a guy who also has a X01...
BTW, my daughters Rebook 9ks are best done taking the blade right off...too much problem with boot clearance...small skate...size 4.5

chiefs17

Oct 16, 2007
connecticut
Hey SWM I do play men's league in Shelton, but it wasn't me you were talking to at the stick time. I haven't been to a stick time in a while. I used to play in Northford too, but since I live in Shelton it's just more convenient to play in Shelton. We've probably crossed paths before.

The skates that give me the most trouble are my 8.5 Grafs. The shape of the boot makes it so they will only fit with the outside of the skate facing up.

Give BS a call and tell them that you want to upgrade your holder. They will send you a new Tri-Lie holder for the X-01 machine for $100, plus sending them the old holder back. What I did is just buy the new holder outright and they shipped it for free. I sent in the old holder (my cost for shipping) after receiving the new one, and they are going to issue me a credit, this way I didn't have to go without a holder while I was waiting for the new one to ship.

The new holder is 10X better than the old one. I didn't have to modify it at all and it has a much better clamping system.

SWM

Feb 15, 2009
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm calling tomorrow on that. I really dislike the holder. MY son plays midgets there (Shelton)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad