SKA and CSKA again: isn't it boring?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A cap only makes sense if it can be enforced reliably, but as long as there's a significant risk that the SKA and the CSKA simply end up being the best in circumventing it I'm not sure that's the way the league should go.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I will give you the bylaws, here, articles 50-54

Yes, there may be such a loophole, but look at the NHL - the same story with bonuses. Tavares as an example.

hi...Leafs fan here...Tavares's contract is insanely front loaded but it is getting ready to be one of our death songs with the hard cap...you guys need a similar cap truth be told...where everything that is put into the contract in some facet goes towards the cap hit...it would definitely bring SKA and CSKA out of orbit and back into having to actually contend with other teams...
the biggest thing is moving past the "but but but look at how much this guy is signed for" argument restructure contracts as needed to comply with the cap and anyone who can't be restructured goes to the FA market for other teams to potentially grab or a straight trade...the thing i hate the most about our (NHL) cap yet its best feature is that it plays absolutely no favorites...and kills the bigger market teams (Toronto, MTL, NYR) just as quickly as it can kill the smaller market teams...keeps owners and GM's from signing ridiculous offers (not always) and if they do it hurts their team in another way.
Not saying it's a fix all but it would definitely help the KHL be more competitive throughout the league

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
A cap only makes sense if it can be enforced reliably, but as long as there's a significant risk that the SKA and the CSKA simply end up being the best in circumventing it I'm not sure that's the way the league should go.

KHL should ask to borrow Brandon Pridham from the Toronto Maple Leafs, he helped design the cap system that is about to kill the team he works for lol...I posted before about the hard cap...if you could find someone to write it with no bias it would probably help the KHL in terms of parity

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
KHL should ask to borrow Brandon Pridham from the Toronto Maple Leafs, he helped design the cap system that is about to kill the team he works for lol...I posted before about the hard cap...if you could find someone to write it with no bias it would probably help the KHL in terms of parity

One difference though is the NHL replies a lot on ticket sales, media sales, merch sales etc and functions as businesses, so they can set their caps accordingly.

KHL as you are learning, is a whole different world, right now, in the way things are run/funded/paid for. You just couldn't say "every team must have a salary floor of €20m next season" because its impossible at the moment.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
One difference though is the NHL replies a lot on ticket sales, media sales, merch sales etc and functions as businesses, so they can set their caps accordingly.

KHL as you are learning, is a whole different world, right now, in the way things are run/funded/paid for. You just couldn't say "every team must have a salary floor of €20m next season" because its impossible at the moment.

yeah it seems like there are some astronomical salaries in the KHL...and it's all tax free if I am not mistaken?

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
yeah it seems like there are some astronomical salaries in the KHL...and it's all tax free if I am not mistaken?
@vorky might be able to answer this better but I think only certain players at some Russian teams get their salary tax free.

However, with the average wages in Russia.. being paid the type of salaries the guys get you are living extremely comfortably anyway, tax or no tax!

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
@vorky might be able to answer this better but I think only certain players at some Russian teams get their salary tax free.

However, with the average wages in Russia.. being paid the type of salaries the guys get you are living extremely comfortably anyway, tax or no tax!

well I will wait for @vorky to hit me back about that question :)

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Russia has a flat tax rate of 13% if I remember correctly. Different for the non-Russian teams though which makes them less competitive on the market. Take Jokerit Helsinki for example, the team has a player budget of around €10 million but more than 50% goes straight to taxes so the net payment if far less compared to playing in Russia.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@Exarz replied the tax issue correctly, so I have nothing to add.

I would like to come back to the salary floor. Of course, it will not be 20M EUR, but looks like the league will adopt the salary floor. Originally, the league did not want to do it, but clubs proposed it. The overwhelming majority of clubs support the salary floor. The floor is to be decided yet, but rumours are that the league considers the salary floor to be within 50% to 70% of the salary cap ceiling (900M rubles, so cca 12-13M EUR).

I just remind that salaries of U21 players & 20% of individual bonuses & team´s bonuses for the championship are not counted towards the cap. So, in reality, the clubs can spend more than 900M rubles, but yeah, it cannot be as much as SKA/CSKA/AkBars/Omsk spending now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad