Confirmed Trade: [SJS/TOR] Alexander Barabanov for Antti Suomela

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Thread hasn’t updated but sounds like an easy win for Leafs. Barabanov gets a new start though which Dubas always looks to give his players

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
sounds like Robertson is going to draw into the lineup, and with the addition of Foligno there should be some excess forward bodies so I'm fine with Barabanov for nothing from a Leafs perspective.

Sharks fans - he won't stand out for anything bad, but super, super vanilla as a player. Like the definition of replacement level.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
sounds like Robertson is going to draw into the lineup, and with the addition of Foligno there should be some excess forward bodies so I'm fine with Barabanov for nothing from a Leafs perspective.

Sharks fans - he won't stand out for anything bad, but super, super vanilla as a player. Like the definition of replacement level.
Considering how some of our depth has played this year, I'll take that any day.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
am i missing something on suomela here?
No, he is your typical euro player with flashes of skill but cant get it fully together consistently. Seems like he should have been a 3c but never took another step and now sits in that weird tweener space between the ahl/nhl.

He can play in the NHL, I just wouldnt assume he will play in the NHL

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Similar to the Lehtonen deal. Gives Barabanov a chance elsewhere since theres zero chance hes cracking the lineup down the stretch.

I expect Suomela to head straight to the marlies for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Dustin

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I like this trade from an optics perspective. Second time this year Dubas has given an overseas signing the chance to make it on another club. Should bode well when attempting to sign future KHLers.
Thats the key to this whole trade. I think they would have been better off with Babs than Suomela, but the goodwill from this deal is likely worth more than the player

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Whats the Shovels story?

He shovels well. He shovels very well.

shovels.jpg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It was time for Barabanov to move on.

He wouldn't get any more ice time with the Leafs as he didn't play his way onto the roster. The Leafs would have been very unlikely to re-sign him, and he would have been gone at the end of his contract.

Better to let him have a chance to play elsewhere.

Any return at all is a bonus. In terms of hockey assets, there's no sunk cost.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
No, he is your typical euro player with flashes of skill but cant get it fully together consistently. Seems like he should have been a 3c but never took another step and now sits in that weird tweener space between the ahl/nhl.

He can play in the NHL, I just wouldnt assume he will play in the NHL
Sounds like Petan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad