Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Sharks sign Kevin Labanc (1 year, $1M)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I thought SJS would be in trouble after the EK contract but they've handled their cap better than any team

Depends what they do with the remaining space. If nothing notable these shorter term deals can work against them in the long run. As it stands the Sharks forward group looks notably worse than last year, so it's not exactly something to be cheering about.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I thought SJS would be in trouble after the EK contract but they've handled their cap better than any team
Doug is a helluva GM

It's easy to get guys signed after letting your captain walk in free agency...that tends to free up some payroll space. Let's not act like Wilson pulled some voodoo-shit and got everyone under contract at or below market. This off-season isn't a great endorsement of his genius after also having to give away his defensive depth for financial motives.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Back to the topic at hand I hope Labancs dollar figure is team friendly so we can sign Thornton, Marleau and look for 1 more winger to finish out the team nicely

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
They lost Pavelski to keep the broken pieces of Erik Karlsson. What are you on about?

Karlsson on one leg at his absolute worst was near a ppg in the playoffs. I trust DW spoke with the surgeon that performed surgery on Karlsson in June before inking him to that deal. Btw, a Sabres fan doesn’t haven’t much room to talk about “bad contracts” 9MM a year for a winger averaging 58pts a season the last 3 years lol.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
It's easy to get guys signed after letting your captain walk in free agency...that tends to free up some payroll space. Let's not act like Wilson pulled some voodoo-**** and got everyone under contract at or below market. This off-season isn't a great endorsement of his genius after also having to give away his defensive depth for financial motives.

I dont think everyone will agree with the "giving away" defensive depth. Sharks shouldn't be paying almost 4 mil for their 3rd pair RHD. On top of that many of us really wanted to see Heed get a chance over Braun to see what he could do. Everyone on the left side is defensive minded so having Heed play could actually be an upgrade. Either way the Sharks still have great depth on D and added a pair of picks they really lacked.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
makes sense. get him cheap on a prove it so they can get thornton and maybe marleau on one year deals and see how things are next year with the old timers.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Who normally announces it ? The nhl ?

Why don't the sharks just do it ? Just seems odd

Anyone but the sharks. Bob McKenzie or Pierre Leburn are the most common. Every once in a blue moon, Kevin Kurz gets it. I think John Scott broke one a while back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Karlsson is still a top-3 defenseman in the league, but keep doing you. I love Pavelski more than my own children but there is no way Pavelski comes close to the impact that EK brings.
In what world is Karlsson a top 3 defenseman? Might not even be top 10 at this point of his career. Giordano, Hedman, Rielly, Josi and Carlson are all indisputably better than him. There's another dozen in the conversation.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
In what world is Karlsson a top 3 defenseman? Might not even be top 10 at this point of his career. Giordano, Hedman, Rielly, Josi and Carlson are all indisputably better than him. There's another dozen in the conversation.

Is this post for real?

That world you are asking about is called earth. I'd recommend you come join us...or maybe not.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal

Because losing your captain whom a lot considered to be the heart of your team, a top 4 d man(Braun), a top 6 winger (Nyquivst) and a top 9 forward(Donskoi) is handling it well. Not to mention they have approx 25mil tied up in 3 dmen whom led the team bottom 10 in goals against last season.

Reactions: Shark Finn

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Because losing your captain whom a lot considered to be the heart of your team, a top 4 d man(Braun), a top 6 winger (Nyquivst) and a top 9 forward(Donskoi) is handling it well. Not to mention they have approx 25mil tied up in 3 dmen whom led the team bottom 10 in goals against last season.

Check your facts again.

Seems like you're confusing the Sharks with your own team.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They're all losses, but none really hurt.

Pavelski became too reliant on tip-ins, and is showing his age.
Braun became redundant, and is past his prime.
Nyquist wasn't a hugely impactful piece one way or the other.
Donskoi was a healthy scratch (not deserved) and often in the doghouse, so he was gone either way and we don't really "lose" anything as he was already not being used.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Karlsson on one leg at his absolute worst was near a ppg in the playoffs. I trust DW spoke with the surgeon that performed surgery on Karlsson in June before inking him to that deal. Btw, a Sabres fan doesn’t haven’t much room to talk about “bad contracts” 9MM a year for a winger averaging 58pts a season the last 3 years lol.

Cool, he put up points but was on the ice for almost every goal against and was absolutely horrible on his defensive positioning, which the injury hardly effected. Extending Karlsson was not worth losing the depth that the lost.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Hedman, sure. Giordano, totally fair. Reilly, Josi, and Carlson indisputably better? I for one, would dispute that. If you went Burns, Hedman, Giordano, and Jones, I'd buy that, personally. That being said, I really don't think there is an argument that Karlsson isn't top at least in the top 10, and guys like that, particularly under 30, just don't come available.

EK's contract, like the Kane, Vlasic, Jones's ones will probably look bad in a 4/5 years. That being said, over the next three the only Sharks getting raises are Labanc and Simek. Wilson has two #1 D, two top 30 centers*, and two 30-goal power forward, and Vlasic locked up. I didn't think it was possible 12 months ago, but Wilson somehow extended the window at least three more years. Losing Pavs hurts, no doubt about it, but I expect Wilson will plug that hole with a younger, faster player before the year is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad