Proposal: SJS - PIT

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Please show me the sharks fans. This is undeniably Ferraro’s best season since his rookie year.
I can give their names and numbers but once I tell them that some rando on a message board wants to call them and yell at them about their opinion on Ferrrao, I doubt they will answer.

He seems to have taken the Marino road where the rookie season was by far he best then some slight regression each subsequent season. It doesn't mean he's bad but given the Penguins have Petts, POJ, Graves, Shea, Ludvig, JSI...I'm just not seeing Ferraro as a super attractive piece.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can give their names and numbers but once I tell them that some rando on a message board wants to call them and yell at them about their opinion on Ferrrao, I doubt they will answer.

He seems to have taken the Marino road where the rookie season was by far he best then some slight regression each subsequent season. It doesn't mean he's bad but given the Penguins have Petts, POJ, Graves, Shea, Ludvig, JSI...I'm just not seeing Ferraro as a super attractive piece.
Moreso comp with Ferraro than anything. He’s a second pairing D that has been playing top pair minutes. Rookie year he was played as a third pairing D. He played a much more noticeable game before this year, throwing huge hits, diving blocks, etc but would frequently find himself very far out of position. This year he’s still throwing hits and blocking tons of shots but he’s doing it within the confines of his position meaning it’s not as noticeable. I think this is where the casual fan gets confused. It’s like it’s so easy to see a guy that’s scoring goals and say wow he’s great but then when he’s giving up the same number of goals on the other end, is he really that good?

Reactions: Boy Hedican

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

You certainly won’t find any Sharks fans claiming Ferraro was good this year, but it’s so hard to evaluate any defenseman who played for the Sharks this season simply because of how bad and chaotic the system was and how overburdened all of them were. Everyone on defense was playing three or four slots higher in the lineup than they should have been, and none more than Ferraro, who was essentially asked to be a #1D on a historically bad team. His rookie season was the only season he’s ever had a decent partner and been on a decent team.

I strongly believe that Ferraro could perform well in a #4-5 role, but he’s buried in a #1 role.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not trying to pretend Jarry doesn't have any issues and he's actually this great goalie. Every issue brought up by reasonable fans with him is legitimate. He is a flawed goalie that has shown a constant trend with breaking down as the year goes on and individually cost the Penguins the only playoff series he has played in. All of that is true.

What is also true is that the status of goaltending around the league right now is downright terrible, with numerous highly paid goalies being even worse than Jarry. In the NHL right now, there are 22 goalies making $4.5 million or more. Of those 22:

-4 of those goalies did not play a game in the NHL this year (Price, Murray, Lehner and Knight)
-8 of those goalies had a .900 save% or worse this year (Vasilevskiy, Gibson, Grubauer, Merzlikins, Kuemper, Petersen, Campbell and Husso)
-Only 7 of those goalies had a .910 save% or better this year (Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Binnington, Shesterkin, Ullmark, Demko and Hill)

Jarry's .903 save% this year is extremely similar to Markstrom's .905 save% this year, and Markstrom was allegedly almost traded at the deadline to 2 different teams that he nixed with his NTC. Markstrom also makes more money than Jarry, is older than Jarry and still has term left on his deal. I just can't see how Jarry's either uniquely bad or had a uniquely bad contract to make me think that he'd be unmovable or a cap dump. Leaguewide goaltending just sucks right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Gecklund

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Ferraro is a #4 dman playing #1 minutes on the worst team in the league. No crap he looks bad. He's the only NHL calibre defenseman on the team so obviously he is overplayed.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Nope. Pens will bring Jarry back and Dubas sees value in a all star caliber goalie who will benefit from the changes Pens make here. Pens with a good physical LD third pair with St Ivany and Graves being used as he should be Pens D looks to be better. Dubas with adding to 3rd and 4th lines and getting away from Sullivan and his BS outdated system will improve the Pens play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad