Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think it has less to do with Marleau not hitting or being generally disrespected and more to do with the fact that he played for the Leafs and Penguins, cost them assets, and wasn’t very good for them. They probably paid a lot more attention to him there than they did to San Jose this year where he was solid.

Two years ago when he signed in Toronto, he got a much more positive reaction.
True, but each were warned. Toronto fans knew the 3rd year was going to bite them in the ass the second ink met paper, and Marleau was never more than a bottom-6'er last year. If he was used inappropriately they should be mad at their coach. Some of this stuff seems beyond typical overreacting fans.

Reactions: JBeast and mattihp

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
He was arguably the best skater at forward on the Sharks last year. Like, the actual skating part. Yes the Sharks are that trash.

Reactions: themelkman

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Glad to see him back where he belongs. One of my favorite non-Pens players over the last 20 years, and I was jazzed to get him at the deadline. I'm just sorry we could get him a cup like he deserves. Hopefully he gets one more run this year.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think it has less to do with Marleau not hitting or being generally disrespected and more to do with the fact that he played for the Leafs and Penguins, cost them assets, and wasn’t very good for them. They probably paid a lot more attention to him there than they did to San Jose this year where he was solid.

Two years ago when he signed in Toronto, he got a much more positive reaction.

Had you bothered to read the thread it isn’t dominated by Leafs and Penguins fans, so I doubt you’ve cracked the case Watson. I think it has more to do with a 13th forward hanging on to break a legends record.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Some fascinating reactions...

League minimum signing. 1 year. Games record in sight. Projected 4th liner. Franchise legend.

The fact it's elevating some people's blood pressure is frankly bizarre and more than a tad melodramatic...

Someone claiming a contract is dumb means their blood pressure is rising?

Ridiculous take

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
It would be really great to see a guy take that record that Gordie got by playing until he was 70.
Record or not, what Howe did was far more impressive given the amount of games they played back when he was in the league. Nevertheless he will hit the milestone and will still get shit on for it just watch. I'm glad to see him back with the Sharks, he was FAR more appreciated in that organization.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Record or not, what Howe did was far more impressive given the amount of games they played back when he was in the league. Nevertheless he will hit the milestone and will still get shit on for it just watch. I'm glad to see him back with the Sharks, he was FAR more appreciated in that organization.

I think people exaggerate how impressive what Howe did was. It was certainly impressive but his era was easier on the body than really the past 30 years. The travel and training are the biggest differences that make it harder to last currently. It's still impressive what Howe did and nobody is going to confuse Marleau with Howe as a talent but 22 years now in the league is a lot harder than 22 years then.

Reactions: BeastMode

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Marleau surpassing Howe's games played record will do nothing to tarnish Howe's legacy.

Relax, people.
Definitely not sire :clap: I love life. But yeah, Marleau back with another one. He has scored such bunch of playoff goals.... but never really was a playoff warrior or player. Never win it or gave his team a real chance. Remember the first like 12 seasons when sharks went to the playoffs and lost because of marleau and thornton etc star players. They crumbled unda presha and marleau as a captain didn't lead at all in the playoffs. They even stripped down marleau's C (captain) because of all those playoffs and rarely enough, didn't sell the player or trade him hard. That's very rare in sports in general. Embarassing times for the sharks those were. Patty has been a fine regular season player though, bringing his team into the playoffs so many times. Remains to be seen what the sesharks can do this time. :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad