Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Patrick Marleau signs with the Sharks (1 year, $700K)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Good influence on the younger guys. Still a quick skater.

I'm happy he gets one more try for a cup, even if SJ isn't a contender. And getting the all time games record is pretty cool. I don't get why people are complaining.

But I guess people will complain about ANYTHING.
I guarantee if this was Chara instead of Marleau you wouldn't be seeing these reactions. Marleau has always gotten disrespected because he's quiet and doesn't hit.

Reactions: qqaz

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He was fine last year, more that worthy of a 4th line slot (which is how he's paid). People saying he's looked cooked, or was finished are clearly only basing it off the covid cup, where a 40 year old was suddenly asked to stop playing hockey for months then quickly get back into game shape with hardly any notice. Not only that the team around him looked bad as well.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If I offered you 700k usd to go indulge in your passion for a year, what would you do?
That's not really fair would I of course. However he's made what 50-75 million already give me that then ask me same question. I'd say hell no I'd rather enjoy my retirement and not take roster spot from someone else more deserving or even take a chance away from someone else from persuing their dreams.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Marleau on the Penguins looked like a guy who thought he already paid his dues and that he should be able to coast while the younger players carried him to a cup.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
does he hate his family or not have any hobbies?

He's a professional athlete playing in one of the world's premier team sports. Of course he doesn't have any hobbies.

The closest it gets is playing golf during the offseason and maybe reading James Patterson novels on the plane.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Marleau on the Penguins looked like a guy who thought he already paid his dues and that he should be able to coast while the younger players carried him to a cup.
The entire Penguins team looked like a team that didn't care to be in the bubble.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Can't believe all the hate a guy like patty Marleau is getting on here. He has obviously slowed down but he still wants to play, can break records, and gives him a chance to retire and play his last game for the franchise he played pretty much his whole career in. Good for him, have always loved Marleau!

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I found a picture of him training this summer

maxresdefault.jpg

P.S. Rip to this guy for real, I only hope to play half as long

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's not really fair would I of course. However he's made what 50-75 million already give me that then ask me same question. I'd say hell no I'd rather enjoy my retirement and not take roster spot from someone else more deserving or even take a chance away from someone else from persuing their dreams.
Trust me, if there were young guys more deserving they would be there. Marleau is fine on the 4th line and isn't eating a roster spot any more than Nieto or Noesen.

Reactions: Ciao

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
On a random (though sort of connected) note, I'm not a fan of players sticking around when they're clearly nowhere near useful just to break records for longevity.

It's one thing if they're still relatively decent players, even if they're no longer at their best. But when players surpass all-time totals more due to sticking around even when they suck, it's no longer impressive to me.

Marleau was still relatively decent in his time in San Jose this season though and he returned them a pick at the deadline that they swapped for Ryan Donato who looks to be a solid middle-6 forward.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Players have become desperate for any job security. A complete 180 vs prior free agency periods.
I mean sure... But you commented this in a thread about the one player who this probably doesn't apply to. Marleau was signing in San Jose or retiring. He's not desperate for a contract. He clearly values living in San Jose with his wife and kids more than a contract with a different team.

Veritas

Apr 7, 2020
At this point he probably just wants the record. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my feeling.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I guarantee if this was Chara instead of Marleau you wouldn't be seeing these reactions. Marleau has always gotten disrespected because he's quiet and doesn't hit.

I think it has less to do with Marleau not hitting or being generally disrespected and more to do with the fact that he played for the Leafs and Penguins, cost them assets, and wasn’t very good for them. They probably paid a lot more attention to him there than they did to San Jose this year where he was solid.

Two years ago when he signed in Toronto, he got a much more positive reaction.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If you count playoff games...

4 away from Howe
74 away from the all-time leader Messier
82 away from being the only player ever to hit 2000

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Can't believe all the hate a guy like patty Marleau is getting on here. He has obviously slowed down but he still wants to play, can break records, and gives him a chance to retire and play his last game for the franchise he played pretty much his whole career in. Good for him, have always loved Marleau!

When you stick around to achieve personal goals but phone it in to the detriment of your team, don't be surprised when people don't care for you

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Didn’t see much of him last year. I could tell his last year in Toronto he was losing a step tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad