Confirmed Trade: [SJS/MIN] Ryan Donato to Sharks for a 3rd rounder in 2021

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I mean...they're not insignificant extensions...but this saves about 1 million dollars total. And those players aren't the biggest extensions either.
Oh, I don't think this deal has anything to do with it capwise, just commenting on the Wild's cap situation. Wild had to send out atleast one Wing with Kaprizov coming in. Just zero minutes for Donato.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Oh, I don't think this deal has anything to do with it capwise, just commenting on the Wild's cap situation. Wild had to send out atleast one Wing with Kaprizov coming in. Just zero minutes for Donato.
I agree 100% with this. Many GM's have always tried to move young guys to team to give them a chance to play when they know they aren't going to get minutes with the team. Donato is that kid who was never going to get a chance to play top 6/9 minutes so give the kid a chance elsewhere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wasn’t the Coyle deal kind of forced by him though? Or was it just a bad move?

I think it was done because Fenton planned to put Donato in Zucker's spot whenever he traded Zucker, but it didn't happen under his watch and now he's not here anymore and Guerin obviously doesn't like Donato as much as Fenton seemed to.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While obviously the current GM is not responsible for Fenton's moves. This still seems like the Wild are getting pennies on the dollar for this return.

Which seems particularly questionable given they didn't have to make this trade now.

Reactions: Morrison

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
While obviously the current GM is not responsible for Fenton's moves. This still seems like the Wild are getting pennies on the dollar for this return.

Which seems particularly questionable given they didn't have to make this trade now.

I'm not all that thrilled with it, but "pennies on the dollar" is a bit extreme.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

It's gonna be part of a bigger deal. Reminds me of the Reimer/Polak/Spaling trade(s) in 2016. Gotta judge by the aggregate value when all is said and done.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
would have rather kept Donato TBH and see how he worked out with the other changes we're making

Reactions: Morrison

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Value isn't static. Donato is an offensive forward, that provides little in the D zone and isn't a strong skater. He's also 24, which isn't that young anymore. Every year he fails to establish himself as a top 6 player, his value drops.

There is value in bottom 6 players that can pop 15ish goals playing limited 4th line minutes, but those guys tend to bounce around the league at 1m dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad