Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Kevin Labanc re-signs with the Sharks (4 years, $4.725M AAV)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
161013ffd5cf2f97d3317b6084fd4643.gif

Shark fans right now. Not sure to be happy or disappointed. If he can go back to his form then I think this is a good deal.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The fact that it took this long disproves all of the crazy conspiracy theories that he had a back door cap circumvention deal already lined up. It was clear at the time that his agent was just a massive dumbass and this contract will likely prove that once again.

Spoke too soon

Reactions: CupInSIX

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
If he’s 56+ point LaBanc it’s good. If he’s 40 point LaBanc it’s gonna suck. I’m optimistic that he is closer to the 56 point player that we saw before this last year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is 100% part of the deal from last year, happy for both parties.

My guess is it took longer to figure out because they were talking about what would be fair compensation in light of COVID, i'm sure they had a verbal agreement at the end of last year but obviously things changed. It still has potential to be a fair contract, but as of now it's an overpay.

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
So the deal was going to be Labanc at 5 years x $4 mil, but DW convinced Labanc to take 1 mil, some deal fell through for DW so the cap space was wasted, and thats now going to cost .75 mil in cap space for the next 4 years? Tough. And Labanc's abhorrent season played no role in the pricing of the new contract? Again, tough. I guess pretending that last season didn't happen is DWs big ovevrarching plan for 2020-2021

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So the deal was going to be Labanc at 5 years x $4 mil, but DW convinced Labanc to take 1 mil, some deal fell through for DW so the cap space was wasted, and thats now going to cost .75 mil in cap space for the next 4 years? Tough. And Labanc's abhorrent season played no role in the pricing of the new contract? Again, tough. I guess pretending that last season didn't happen is DWs big ovevrarching plan for 2020-2021

I doubt they had a specific number in mind, Wilson wouldn't be stupid enough to promise an exact number without knowing what was going to happen in a year.

He probably only promised that Labanc would get fairly compensated this year for what he's worth + extra for the money he lost last year.

If Labanc had another 50 point season this past year, we would likely be looking at 6M/yr now.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Nice way to sign a 5 yr $20MM deal to get around the cap but leave it $20k short/yr to not draw too much suspicion, anyone think anything different happened here is in denial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad