Waived: [SJS] D Leon Gawanke waived by the Sharks (cleared)

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Where does this become a Winnipeg thing?

It’s a Gwanke thing with his big talk on his way out the door.

Example… Jansen Harkens just got picked up on Waivers off the Winnipeg Roster by Pittsburgh.

On WPG HFBoards there are many posts wishing him well and success in Pittsburgh. Singing his praises and predicting he will do well.

I have no negative comments about Harkens…. Wish him all the best!

I have no negative feelings about Gawanke.

I just wonder if he is not able to land a NHL gig this year. Who is he going to blame for his lot in life this year?
Yeah, just no.

Gawanke was told prior to last season, when he was contemplating whether he should stay or or go home, that he was close and should stay as he would likely get his chance. So he did. And none of that happened, not even a single game thrown his way. It is completely normal for a player to not want to stay on a team where he is very much stuck and doesn't get to sniff an NHL-roster regardless of what he does.

He didn't throw a tantrum, he didn't declare that he should have a guaranteed spot in the NHL, no matter what lies some people try to tell here. All he did, was decide for himself that he would not get his chance in Winnipeg and thus would return home. Unless the Jets would deal him somewhere, in which case he would give it another go. You can already see in how his contract with the Sharks is structured, that he wanted to have a fall-back option in case he wouldn't make their roster either.

None of this has anything to do with "blaming everyone but himself", nor did he consider himself to be "the hot shit", he merely did what countless players do every year when they don't get a chance with a team: look for an alternative.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Where does this become a Winnipeg thing?

It’s a Gwanke thing with his big talk on his way out the door.

Example… Jansen Harkens just got picked up on Waivers off the Winnipeg Roster by Pittsburgh.

On WPG HFBoards there are many posts wishing him well and success in Pittsburgh. Singing his praises and predicting he will do well.

I have no negative comments about Harkens…. Wish him all the best!

I have no negative feelings about Gawanke.

I just wonder if he is not able to land a NHL gig this year. Who is he going to blame for his lot in life this year?
Those situations aren’t even close to comparable.

Reactions: themelkman

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
but is weather school like an apprenticeship, where after three years they will graduate him to next level? or will he stay longer (because we know he wont stay longer) :sarcasm:
Would be hilarious if he goes to the AHL of weather schools, doesn't get a chance to report the weather and demands a trade to another station.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Yeah, just no.

Gawanke was told prior to last season, when he was contemplating whether he should stay or or go home, that he was close and should stay as he would likely get his chance. So he did. And none of that happened, not even a single game thrown his way. It is completely normal for a player to not want to stay on a team where he is very much stuck and doesn't get to sniff an NHL-roster regardless of what he does.

He didn't throw a tantrum, he didn't declare that he should have a guaranteed spot in the NHL, no matter what lies some people try to tell here. All he did, was decide for himself that he would not get his chance in Winnipeg and thus would return home. Unless the Jets would deal him somewhere, in which case he would give it another go. You can already see in how his contract with the Sharks is structured, that he wanted to have a fall-back option in case he wouldn't make their roster either.

None of this has anything to do with "blaming everyone but himself", nor did he consider himself to be "the hot shit", he merely did what countless players do every year when they don't get a chance with a team: look for an alternative.
Oh I’m sorry ……

I did not know I was talking to the fly on the wall….The fly That heard exactly what was said and promised.

Your above statement has forced me to look at the world …. In a whole new way.

“There is a pot a Gold at the bottom of the rainbow”

“The world looks so much better when looking through these rose coloured glasses”

“ I do not know why we continue to even keep score of the goals in the NHL games….. maybe we should just let anybody who wants to play in the NHL do so and play them all an equal amount of time!!!! It’s only fair thing to do.”

NOT!!!!…..,,

Source

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
As someone who speaks German and thus knows the Interview Firsthand, i can Tell you that Gawanke just wants a chance to make it. He told that again after San Jose got him.
He literally said that He wants to try again to make it to the NHL. He did not think that He would get an offer and was suprised when the sharks called and saw that He might get a Chance for the big Show sometime during the season If He does His best.

And in the interview about the Jets He Said that its frustrating and that he atleast wanted a chance. A trajectory for His Future. Nothing more.

And after the trade He literally said that He just wants to Fight for a Chance to make it. That does not mean opening night.

And of course He was frustrated and stated that in an Interview. And i think it's only Natural and human to say so. Making it a big Thing is not necessary.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
As someone who speaks German and thus knows the Interview Firsthand, i can Tell you that Gawanke just wants a chance to make it. He told that again after San Jose got him.
He literally said that He wants to try again to make it to the NHL. He did not think that He would get an offer and was suprised when the sharks called and saw that He might get a Chance for the big Show sometime during the season If He does His best.

And in the interview about the Jets He Said that its frustrating and that he atleast wanted a chance. A trajectory for His Future. Nothing more.

And after the trade He literally said that He just wants to Fight for a Chance to make it. That does not mean opening night.

And of course He was frustrated and stated that in an Interview. And i think it's only Natural and human to say so. Making it a big Thing is not necessary.
You don't get given a chance unless you earn it and he didn't earn a chance and probably never will because he does not have the talent to play in the NHL. San Jose is the 2nd organization to watch him play and make the decision that he is not an NHL player.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You don't get given a chance unless you earn it and he didn't earn a chance and probably never will because he does not have the talent to play in the NHL. San Jose is the 2nd organization to watch him play and make the decision that he is not an NHL player.
20 goals as a defenseman in the AHL yet Kniazev who is garbage has more nhl games than him.

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
His stats in the ahl are good.
And during international competitions He also looked good.
So i can See him getting a call up during the year.
And that is what He is working for, He does Not see it as something he has a right to, but Something He can earn. And thats the only Thing He asks for.

@Latartoyl
Really, did Something happen to you? Because you really seem agitated.
Everything OK?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Those situations aren’t even close to comparable.
Hmmmmm! Talking about 2 different player's …. That played on the same team last year that both got waived out of a NHL training camp within a few days of each other is not even close to comparable.
Hmmmm…

All the crying …. Is because Gawanke is a big fish in a very small pond in Germany…. That got to play against top competition internationally for Germany as a 5-6 defenseman.

But when he really gets lumped in to the depth of the best league in the world he finds himself at best being a 8-9-10 defenseman for all 32 NHL teams.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Oh I’m sorry ……

I did not know I was talking to the fly on the wall….The fly That heard exactly what was said and promised.

Your above statement has forced me to look at the world …. In a whole new way.

“There is a pot a Gold at the bottom of the rainbow”

“The world looks so much better when looking through these rose coloured glasses”

“ I do not know why we continue to even keep score of the goals in the NHL games….. maybe we should just let anybody who wants to play in the NHL do so and play them all an equal amount of time!!!! It’s only fair thing to do.”

NOT!!!!…..,,

Source
lol

If only you knew how credible this poster is. He is 100% bang on with his post.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
lol

If only you knew how credible this poster is. He is 100% bang on with his po
I’m so sorry….. I didn’t not want to offend his dad.

It does not excuse the fact that Gawanke was complaining about not having an opportunity…. But he was still behind 5 players last year Heinola - Stanley /Cocobianco / Chisholm / and possibly Lundmark on the Jets depth chart last year all vying for playing time behind the top 6 defenseman on the Jets last year.

Gawanke …. Was a offensive Defencenan who scored 20 goals but was not going to supplant Morrissey or Pionk on the big club.

As for offensive defenseman on the Moose….. Heinola ( former 1 st rounder) and Chisholm had Better offensive instincts on the Moose than him. Both of those players were not just working on their offensive game while with the Moose while on the Moose, but using their time on the Moose to round out their Defensive side of the game …. To show management …. their commitment to an all around game and ready for anngl assignment.

Lundmark was specializing on the Def side of the game….. with limited offensive. He was tailoring his game to be Heinola partner on the Jets in the future.

Heinola was better than Gawanke by a country mile and was still on the Moise paying his dues.

“All Gawanke wants is an opportunity”

All he really wants is to be on a team that doesn’t have 10 better options on defence than playing him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m so sorry….. I didn’t not want to offend his dad.

It does not excuse the fact that Gawanke was complaining about not having an opportunity…. But he was still behind 5 players last year Heinola - Stanley /Cocobianco / Chisholm / and possibly Lundmark on the Jets depth chart last year all vying for playing time behind the top 6 defenseman on the Jets last year.

Gawanke …. Was a offensive Defencenan who scored 20 goals but was not going to supplant Morrissey or Pionk on the big club.

As for offensive defenseman on the Moose….. Heinola ( former 1 st rounder) and Chisholm had Better offensive instincts on the Moose than him. Both of those players were not just working on their offensive game while with the Moose while on the Moose, but using their time on the Moose to round out their Defensive side of the game …. To show management …. their commitment to an all around game and ready for anngl assignment.

Lundmark was specializing on the Def side of the game….. with limited offensive. He was tailoring his game to be Heinola partner on the Jets in the future.

Heinola was better than Gawanke by a country mile and was still on the Moise paying his dues.

“All Gawanke wants is an opportunity”

All he really wants is to be on a team that doesn’t have 10 better options on defence than playing him.
Okay if that’s what he wants why are you taking it as a personal insult against you and your team?

Why is it such a big deal? He can probably make more money (or at least equivalent) and be at home in Germany.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Okay if that’s what he wants why are you taking it as a personal insult against you and your team?

Why is it such a big deal? He can probably make more money (or at least equivalent) and be at home in Germany.
Wow! Let’s take the category of “Wrong assumptions “ for $500 Alex!

I’m not taking anything personal and there has been no slight to my team what so ever.

This is just another case of a little boy calling wolf on the cruel world doing a grave in justice and yelling at the top of Hill for all the bleeding heart do gooders to fix this terrible in justice.

In reality …. There is no conspiracy to keep Gawanke down and prevent him from succeeding.

There is No “ Me too movement” of hockey players who got unceremoniously cut from an NHL squad and put on waivers because they are German.

He simply was not good enough!

Congrats to him on him making $350 k in the minor this year… I wish him all the best in the future.

Just in the future my advise to him …. Is to stop crying in the media about his lot in life … and the cruel in justice’s in the world.

It makes him seem like a little cry baby little itch!

And Just play hockey!

“ Either do or don’t do ….. there is no just try”

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
1696782991614.gif

No crying in hockey either!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wow! Let’s take the category of “Wrong assumptions “ for $500 Alex!

I’m not taking anything personal and there has been no slight to my team what so ever.

This is just another case of a little boy calling wolf on the cruel world doing a grave in justice and yelling at the top of Hill for all the bleeding heart do gooders to fix this terrible in justice.

In reality …. There is no conspiracy to keep Gawanke down and prevent him from succeeding.

There is No “ Me too movement” of hockey players who got unceremoniously cut from an NHL squad and put on waivers because they are German.

He simply was not good enough!

Congrats to him on him making $350 k in the minor this year… I wish him all the best in the future.

Just in the future my advise to him …. Is to stop crying in the media about his lot in life … and the cruel in justice’s in the world.

It makes him seem like a little cry baby little itch!

And Just play hockey!

“ Either do or don’t do ….. there is no just try”
This is more whiny bitch behavior than anything Gawanke has said or done honestly. You’ve greatly exaggerated the situation.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Did he run over your mailbox or something? The Sharks not starting with him in the NHL when they have ~10-11 NHL-caliber D-men (most of whom who have NHL experience) is absolutely not the same thing as the Sharks deciding he is not an NHL player. Only someone with a ridiculous grudge would suggest that.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Yeah some people just freak out when they hear a player is unhappy on their team, its a classic thing and people cant understand players valuing themselves over a single organization that doesnt care about them.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I went to the grocery store last night and really wanted to purchase my ice cream before it melted.
I got it a checkout line, but noticed the one to the right of me was moving faster so I queued in that one. Ended up getting out before the guy who was in front of me in the first line. I may have even mentioned to others how much faster the 2nd line was progressing.

Didn't realize how soft I was for moving to the other line, but dagnabbit that ice cream was still frozen when I got home.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He isn't an NHL defenseman and never will be. He forced his way off one team because they didn't give him an NHL job, and now a 2nd team has deemed him unworthy of an NHL roster spot.

Here are some quotes from your sweet down to earth kid from before he was traded to San Jose.

"I'm definitely not going another year there. That's it now," Gawanke was quoted as saying from the World Championship from Finland and Latvia. "You never accept something like that if you perform year after year and sacrifice yourself and then aren't even rewarded."

"I worked my ass off there for four years, to put it in German, and wasn't rewarded. That's obviously frustrating, especially when I see who gets a chance."

"There is still hope that they will trade me."

Doesn't sound so sweet or down to earth to me.

Wait that is my translation, isnt it? It has the same weird translation around the "auf gut Deutsch gesagt" part :laugh: I was too lazy to translate it better.

Very much disagree… Not sure what makes you think Leon left on a good note. The hints are all there that they, Jets and Gawanke, certainly didn't. The interview is far from the standard interview you give when everything is fine and both parts left on neutral terms and "who knows maybe he'll end up there again". The interview definately sounded pissed and I think it is obvious it IS indeed him being pissed.

On top of that, I'm pretty well connected in the Mannheim hockey bubble and my contact around Adler Mannheim confirmed to me that everything around his signing with Mannheim (which might end up happening if San Jose burries him in the AHL again)...

1. happend VERY fast ... in like "okay there is no way back anyway"-kind of fast. If you consider the fact that on paper, why would he run away after only 2 seasons in the AHL with only one being considerable of deserving NHL game minutes.

2. was about him having ended his relationship with the Jets front office on rather bad terms. In like "yeah, na - he won't be back in Winnipeg. That is 100% for sure from both sides". Why would that be the word if he wasn't pissed at all?

If you add all those aspects, I have zero doubt Gawanke was VERY pissed and thought he deserved better from the Jets.

Which is funny because it's not like he was overlooked or jumped by other players who deserved it less or anything. You don't need to look any further than Ville Heinole. first round pick, top 20. Highly praised prospect which lots of upside, had to play next to him on the Moose as well last season. Ville never gave that kind of interview to the finnish media, you know? Ville even already had a stint at the NHL in which he at times looked very good - still he had to go back to the AHL. To be honest, I'm a bit puzzled at what Leon Gawanke was thinking to come out making that interview. I think it wasn't smart at all and lowered his odds of making it in the NHL even more. Sure, San Jose said "okay we're gonna give him a shot" but do you think there are no GMs in this league thinking "oh you thought you'd deserve it more than others? Okay, I won't touch that guy". You know how the NHL rolls. Old boys club and GMs help each other out and stuff...

And there is even one more speculation: The San Jose Sharks and the Adler Mannheim are business partners. It could be that the main reason Leon was given a shot by the Sharks is their relationship (mainly because of SAP, they pretty much own the Adler Mannheim and are a main sponsor of the Sharks). This is pure speculation from my part though. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me that both sides made some kind of agreement to give him another shot and as soon as they label him "not good enough", he's free to come back to his contract in Mannheim. Again: pure speculation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad