Waived: [SJS] D Leon Gawanke waived by the Sharks (cleared)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Interesting case here, he definitely has some offensive upside. It would be hilarious if the Jets claimed Gawanke, but probably the last thing he wants (he essentially forced the trade out of Winnipeg by signing long-term in Europe). Kniazev, who we got in return, looks awful and will probably be waived too.

Reactions: jetsforever

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Interesting case here, he definitely has some offensive upside. It would be hilarious if the Jets claimed Gawanke, but probably the last thing he wants (he essentially forced the trade out of Winnipeg by signing long-term in Europe). Kniazev, who we got in return, looks awful and will probably be waived too.
Kniazev doesn't have to be waived, he's already been sent down.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Watching him last night, he didn't look bad... in fact he didn't really look like much of anything. The signing of Emberson sort of sealed his deal.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I guess him whining that he wasn't getting a fair chance with the Jets was all bullshit, he just isn't good enough to be an NHL player. Time to run off back to Germany again, nobody will miss him.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
This seams unreasonably harsh. It is reasonable to want to go home if you aren't playing in the NHL while excelling in the AHL.
He refused to sign another contract with the Jets because he felt like they were not giving him a fair chance to play in the NHL, as soon as the Jets agreed to move him somewhere else he came right back to North America. He thought he was hot shit and deserved to be given an NHL job when clearly he is not an NHL player.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He refused to sign another contract with the Jets because he felt like they were not giving him a fair chance to play in the NHL, as soon as the Jets agreed to move him somewhere else he came right back to North America. He thought he was hot shit and deserved to be given an NHL job when clearly he is not an NHL player.

I know what youre saying is probably true. But he's such a sweet and down-to-earth kid in interviews and he believes he just really needs a shot. But obviously the Sharks coaching staff doesn't think he's an opening-day starter.

Reactions: Gecklund

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I know what youre saying is probably true. But he's such a sweet and down-to-earth kid in interviews and he believes he just really needs a shot. But obviously the Sharks coaching staff doesn't think he's an opening-day starter.
He isn't an NHL defenseman and never will be. He forced his way off one team because they didn't give him an NHL job, and now a 2nd team has deemed him unworthy of an NHL roster spot.

Here are some quotes from your sweet down to earth kid from before he was traded to San Jose.

"I'm definitely not going another year there. That's it now," Gawanke was quoted as saying from the World Championship from Finland and Latvia. "You never accept something like that if you perform year after year and sacrifice yourself and then aren't even rewarded."

"I worked my ass off there for four years, to put it in German, and wasn't rewarded. That's obviously frustrating, especially when I see who gets a chance."

"There is still hope that they will trade me."

Doesn't sound so sweet or down to earth to me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Even being in line for a potential call-up in SJ if they get injuries or he performs well again in the AHL is probably a step up for him from his Jets experiences. You'll be able to tell whether he's willing to work for even that level of opportunity if he doesn't immediately go on release waivers to go back to his deal in Germany. His contract has $375,000 just for playing in the AHL, though, I don't know how much he'd be making in Germany, but that's pretty good money.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Cool your Jets.
Did Somebody do Something to your coffee today?
Ha ha 😂 “Cool your Jets”

He’s on waivers now….if any of the other 30 NhL teams ( excluding the Sharks /Jets) believe he can be better than the top 8 defense men that they currently have……. He will be picked up off waivers!

Not….

If He would have remained with the Jets ….. He would have remained #10 or # 11 on the depth chart!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Ha ha 😂 “Cool your Jets”

He’s on waivers now….if any of the other 30 NhL teams ( excluding the Sharks /Jets) believe he can be better than the top 8 defense men that they currently have……. He will be picked up off waivers!

Not….

If He would have remained with the Jets ….. He would have remained #10 or # 11 on the depth chart!

He's right though, calm down, it's not like he owe you something.

Reactions: Edenjung

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Ha ha 😂 “Cool your Jets”

Not….

Morissey
Pionk
Samberg

He's right though, calm down, it's not like he owe you something.
when is stating simple facts of life classifys a person as not being calm?

You state “ it’s not like he owes me something”

I never said he did.

But …… It is clearly reported and quoted that Gawanke…. States and expresses in the paper/ media that “He is owed something”

In particular He states that “He is owed a NHL opportunity “ as “ he has worked his but off in the AHL for 4 years”

I think he is a mis- guided individual.

He’s from Germany….. It’s not like an apprenticeship in a trade …. Where you put your 4 years in and you automatically graduate to the next level.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Gawanke is such an interesting case here. He didn’t look bad at all in the preseason from the limited that I saw. He didn’t look out of place. He just wasn’t noticeable. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but for an offensive D you’d think you’d see a bit more offense. It was also interesting that he was never given PP1 time in the preseason and always PP2. I don’t think he’s bad at all and I think he will be on an NHL team soon, I just don’t know if it will be SJ who despite none of their D being 2nd pair good, have a lot of D depth.

Morissey
Pionk
Samberg
Smi

I never said he did.

But …… It is clearly reported and quoted that Gawanke…. States and expresses in the paper/ media that “He is owed something”

In particular He states that “He is owed a NHL opportunity “ as “ he has worked his but off in the AHL for 4 years”

I think he is a mid guided individual.

He’s from Germany….. It’s not like an apprenticeship in a trade …. Where you put your 4 years in and you automatically graduate to the next level.
If a player works their butt off in the AHL for 4 years and puts up 20 goals as a defenseman yet doesn’t even get a sniff at the NHL, then yes they deserve to be moved to be given a shot somewhere else.

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Morissey
Pionk
Samberg
Smi

I never said he did.

I think he is a mid guided individual.

you know i think i do agree with you a little bit. another poster said you might have a personal thing against Leon but truthfully i think it's Leon that might have a personal thing against Winnipeg. in a recent interview he was asked, what's the first thing you noticed when arriving at San Jose team and he said wow the weather's so much better or something to that effect. tgis coming from a German too.

Reactions: Gecklund

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
you know i think i do agree with you a little bit. another poster said you might have a personal thing against Leon but truthfully i think it's Leon that might have a personal thing against Winnipeg. in a recent interview he was asked, what's the first thing you noticed when arriving at San Jose team and he said wow the weather's so much better or something to that effect. tgis coming from a German too.
Great to hear!

If he can’t make a NHL roster!!!

He can always fall back on being a weather man!

That is of course if he works his ass off for 3 years in Weather person school!

hotcabbagesoup

Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Great to hear!

If he can’t make a NHL roster!!!

He can always fall back on being a weather man!

That is of course if he works ass off for 3 years in Weather person school!
but is weather school like an apprenticeship, where after three years they will graduate him to next level? or will he stay longer (because we know he wont stay longer) :sarcasm:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
but is weather school like an apprenticeship, where after three years they will graduate him to next level? or will he stay longer (because we know he wont stay longer) :sarcasm:
He just have to keep trying…, until he finds something he’s good at.

Ahhhh… “The youth today!”

He should try something that he likes to do! Something that brings him joy to go to work everyday / work day.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He isn't an NHL defenseman and never will be. He forced his way off one team because they didn't give him an NHL job, and now a 2nd team has deemed him unworthy of an NHL roster spot.

Here are some quotes from your sweet down to earth kid from before he was traded to San Jose.

"I'm definitely not going another year there. That's it now," Gawanke was quoted as saying from the World Championship from Finland and Latvia. "You never accept something like that if you perform year after year and sacrifice yourself and then aren't even rewarded."

"I worked my ass off there for four years, to put it in German, and wasn't rewarded. That's obviously frustrating, especially when I see who gets a chance."

"There is still hope that they will trade me."

Doesn't sound so sweet or down to earth to me.
Shouldnt you guys be used to this by now? Theres always such rage when a player leaves Winnipeg but all of us would do the exact same thing in this situation.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Shouldnt you guys be used to this by now? Theres always such rage when a player leaves Winnipeg but all of us would do the exact same thing in this situation.
Where does this become a Winnipeg thing?

It’s a Gwanke thing with his big talk on his way out the door.

Example… Jansen Harkens just got picked up on Waivers off the Winnipeg Roster by Pittsburgh.

On WPG HFBoards there are many posts wishing him well and success in Pittsburgh. Singing his praises and predicting he will do well.

I have no negative comments about Harkens…. Wish him all the best!

I have no negative feelings about Gawanke.

I just wonder if he is not able to land a NHL gig this year. Who is he going to blame for his lot in life this year?

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad