Proposal: SJ-PHX

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Braun for Hjarmalsson

Braun is more mobile a right shot DFD that Phoenix doesn't really have since they traded Murphy (yeah they have Demers but the less him the better), arguably better fit in Phoenix than Hjarmalsson who hasn't been lights out for them even though he has better pedigree than Braun. Could slot in next to Goligoski/OEL pretty seamlessly.

Hjarmalsson is a left shot who can play LD/RD with higher playoff pedigree, so San Jose could roll Pronger/Niedermayer (err Burns/Karlsson) for 30 minutes a game while having 4 LDs to cycle through on the left (Vlasic/Hjarmalsson/Ryan/Dillon). Then if it's PK time or Burns/Karlsson need a breather Hjarmalsson slides onto the right and takes a couple shifts there.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s actually not a bad proposal at all but the Sharks already spend too much money on their defense and adding a defenseman who has one year left at $4.1M, and then two more years after that at $5M on a contract with a full NMC is far from practical.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Demers was actually pretty good after the first month or so.

Hammer is more or less not available as he's part of the friends of OEL collective we've got going on here.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It’s actually not a bad proposal at all but the Sharks already spend too much money on their defense and adding a defenseman who has one year left at $4.1M, and then two more years after that at $5M on a contract with a full NMC is far from practical.

Yeah money would probably have to be evened out with retention/small cap dump.

Is there a chance Burns is moved back up to RW if Vlasic/Karlsson/Ryan/Braun/Dillon are more than enough on defense? Could be a trump card at forward too

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah money would probably have to be evened out with retention/small cap dump.

Is there a chance Burns is moved back up to RW if Vlasic/Karlsson/Ryan/Braun/Dillon are more than enough on defense? Could be a trump card at forward too

That isn’t enough on defense. It wasn’t enough with Burns in place of Karlsson and while Karlsson is an improvement on Burns, it still isn’t enough. More importantly, Burns just doesn’t have nearly as much of an impact playing RW as he does on D.

The money isn’t a problem right now but the Sharks just can’t bring Hjalmarsson in long term.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’d love this. Hjalmarsson would be the perfect partner for Burns. Then we move Dillon for a 3C

Vlasic-EK
Hjalmarsson-Burns
Ryan-Heed

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I like Braun, but I like Hjarlmarsson more. Granted one is far more injury prone than the other, I'd rather hang onto the swede. I also think this will be Hjarlmarssons last contract before he hangs em up.

FreeVille

Jun 20, 2009
Sharks do this in a heartbeat. Have two of the best defensive defenseman in the game (Vlasic and Hjalmarsson) in addition to the two best offensive defenseman in the game with a steady sophomore and hulking anchor on the back end. Trade makes the Sharks much more dynamic on the back end.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yotes don't do this. We brought in Hjalmarsson to be a leader and bring solid defense to our young group. As rt said, we just extended him too. Not going anywhere.

Reactions: iSophagus

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Most people just assume he was bad (same assumption was made about Demers too) It may be a fair assumption cause the Coyotes sucked but it's not accurate of course.

Hockey is such a team-oriented sport though. Beer leagues often run fewer than the maximum of 18 skaters pretty much all the damn time, but if you put, say, Sidney Crosby on a horrible beer league team, the best you can expect is that you might go from losing 15-0 every game to losing 15-3 instead.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Chayky really wanted Hjalmarsson. He got him, he extended him. He's not about to give him away now.

Reactions: rt

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hammer prefers the right side, in fact he has stated he believes he plays much better there despite being a LHD.
I obviously don’t know for sure but I think that he might get over it to play for the Sharks. There’s no way they do this if Hjalmarsson isn’t willing to at least try to play the left side for the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad