Kings Article: SJ GM Wilson Tries To Pull Another Fast One In Remarks About LA Kings’ Dustin Brown

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
That'd be nice, but to be honest I care more about Brown's "public relations." He's getting a bad reputation and there are already on-ice side effects of it. I think how this play even came about was a result of him worrying about delivering a late hit. It could have easily been him injured because, as he said, his knee was just as at risk as Hertl's. I'd rather he take better care of his reputation in the league and with the officials so he doesn't have to worry about playing his game.

Who cares? really, if you want us to sympathize for Wilson and your fan base's "hurt feelings," then this is certainly not the forum to do so. Take your crying and your justifications for hurt feelings elsewhere, like here, because none of it makes any sense.

The play was an accident and ACCIDENTS do happen in ICE HOCKEY- a violent, physical sport. If there is anyone to blame, it would be Hertl for sticking out his knee.

Perhaps watching figure skating may be something you and wilson should take into consideration. Because it seems to me that those athletes and their fan base are more in tune with their "feelings."

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We still owe the Sharks one if we meet in the playoffs this year.

Also this for me is one of the best reads Gann has put together yet.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
You honestly think a phone call would change any of that? Come on!

No, but the lack of a phone call left the door wide open for Wilson to perpetuate Brown's (unwarranted) reputation as a dirty player. It took Wilson all of probably an hour to set that in motion. It could have taken Brown less than ten minutes to prevent it. It just would have been the smart thing to do.

Who cares? really, if you want us to sympathize for Wilson and your fan base's "hurt feelings," then this is certainly not the forum to do so. Take your crying and your justifications for hurt feelings elsewhere, like here, because none of it makes any sense.

The play was an accident and ACCIDENTS do happen in ICE HOCKEY- a violent, physical sport. If there is anyone to blame, it would be Hertl for sticking out his knee.

Perhaps watching figure skating may be something you and wilson should take into consideration. Because it seems to me that those athletes and their fan base are more in tune with their "feelings."

Merry Christmas.

Uh... I'm a Kings fan. Sorry, my location is misleading, and you probably didn't read the rest of my post. I hate the Sharks (although I have to come to terms with the fact that my son will probably be a Sharks fan). I couldn't care less about Sharks fans' feelings. I DO care about Brown's deteriorating reputation in the NHL, because it's going to have (and IMO, has already had) an effect on his on-ice play.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
No, but the lack of a phone call left the door wide open for Wilson to perpetuate Brown's (unwarranted) reputation as a dirty player. It took Wilson all of probably an hour to set that in motion. It could have taken Brown less than ten minutes to prevent it. It just would have been the smart thing to do.

Uh... I'm a Kings fan. Sorry, my location is misleading, and you probably didn't read the rest of my post. I hate the Sharks (although I have to come to terms with the fact that my son will probably be a Sharks fan). I couldn't care less about Sharks fans' feelings. I DO care about Brown's deteriorating reputation in the NHL, because it's going to have (and IMO, has already had) an effect on his on-ice play.

He's been injured with a knee problem, I highly dought a lack of a phone call is doing any damage. Hell even the hurt player said there was nothing wrong with what happened. Just cause one GM comes out crying about a lack of concern for a player on his team is a joke. Sounds to me he is just prepping an excuse if his team starts to faulter like they usually do.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Wilson is probably developing an inferiority complex in regards to the Sharks' former GM and his organization. The malady likely includes our neighbors to the south as well.

The Kings have had a better record than the Sharks one time in the past ten years. I don't think that is how inferiority complexes are developed.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Either due to the level of scrutiny he gets, or the reputation that he's starting to build (deserved or undeserved), it would have been a pretty good idea for Brown to at least call the kid.

Any competent GM would have said the same crap the way Wilson did. Any chance you get to take a shot at the captain of your toughest division rival and affect how the refs or Brown himself thinks during a game, you take it.

If this affects how a ref views Brown, or how Brown performs on the ice, then there is a ******** more wrong with the NHL and Dustin Brown than Bown not offering to kiss Hertl's boo boo for him.

The Kings have had a better record than the Sharks one time in the past ten years. I don't think that is how inferiority complexes are developed.

The fact DL was fired by the Sharks (handing Wilson the keys to a solid team in the process) and then DL turned around, was hired years later by a state rival, rebuilt them, won a Cup, beat them in the playoff the next year and have had two straight better post-seasons may be helping to develop an inferiority complex.

Must suck to have shot after shot at a cup but never really come close (a few final fours, but never came close to winning any of them), only to see the guy you took the job from rebuild a train wreck state rival into a cup champ and perrenial powerhouse.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

True. The way to develop an inferiority complex is to have one of the best teams in the league for more than a decade but then watch every other team in your state win a Stanley Cup instead of you. That works. Fo' sho.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
He's been injured with a knee problem, I highly dought a lack of a phone call is doing any damage. Hell even the hurt player said there was nothing wrong with what happened. Just cause one GM comes out crying about a lack of concern for a player on his team is a joke. Sounds to me he is just prepping an excuse if his team starts to faulter like they usually do.

Nonsense. This is all about getting whatever advantage you can against a team you are likely to face in the playoffs. If Wilson increases the chances that one of Brown's hits gets penalized on reputation, even by 1%, it's completely worth the hour or whatever he spent putting together the statement.

If this affects how a ref views Brown, or how Brown performs on the ice, then there is a ******** more wrong with the NHL and Dustin Brown than Bown not offering to kiss Hertl's boo boo for him.

To some extent I agree, but it's the world we live in, and these effects are already happening. The Brown of old would have clobbered Hertl with an open ice hit and asked questions later, instead of second guess the attempt and bail out. And remember when Milbury and Roenick were arguing over the Roszival hit, and Milbury was spouting about how Brown has a reputation as playing on the line? I assure you that didn't just come from him. Brown is getting a bad rep and he needs as many "classy" points as he can get. Again, it would have taken 10 minutes. Suck it up, call the kid, and you don't have to worry about a rival GM spreading more of this Brown-is-not-only-dirty-but-classless-too nonsense.

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca
refs already have a good idea of what kind of player brown is. he's been in the league long enough that refs dont have to listen to what a whiney GM thinks of him. he needs to "suck it up" and call the kid? your starting to sound like doug wilson.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Anybody want to chip in with me and get a cheeseplate sent to the Sharks office so they have something to go with their whine?

If we can get LA Kings Twitter account to comment on it, then sure ;) Something to the effect of,

Tis the season of giving. Kings fans send holiday cheese platter to Sharks organization to go with their whine for the holidays. Have a safe and Merry New Year.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
If we can get LA Kings Twitter account to comment on it, then sure ;) Something to the effect of,

Tis the season of giving. Kings fans send holiday cheese platter to Sharks organization to go with their whine for the holidays. Have a safe and Merry New Year.

Funny side story, a waitress at my friends favorite bar (in Minnesota) is a huge Kings fan and her and I got talking hockey one night and it turns out her older brother works for the Kings social media department... I'm going to have to try and make this happen next time I see her.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site

Right, as if Wilson wouldn't come out after an apology and question why DB was calling if it wasn't a suspendable hit ...

It's a no win situation with these whiners.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I kind of tend to agree with Ukyo here. Wilson is just taking a chance to publicly tarnish Brown's rep even more. Smart, if dirty, move, because obviously there's very little comparable between his incident with Gordie ****ing Howe, Torres/Stoll incident, and this one. Brown has one of the largest microscopes on him in the league now, and I tend to agree that past-Brown would have just absolutely annihilated Hertl instead of trying to bail, ironically probably to less damage. He's really damned if he does, damned if he doesn't at this point.

Still makes me despise Wilson more :P

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Nonsense. This is all about getting whatever advantage you can against a team you are likely to face in the playoffs. If Wilson increases the chances that one of Brown's hits gets penalized on reputation, even by 1%, it's completely worth the hour or whatever he spent putting together the statement.

To some extent I agree, but it's the world we live in, and these effects are already happening. The Brown of old would have clobbered Hertl with an open ice hit and asked questions later, instead of second guess the attempt and bail out. And remember when Milbury and Roenick were arguing over the Roszival hit, and Milbury was spouting about how Brown has a reputation as playing on the line? I assure you that didn't just come from him. Brown is getting a bad rep and he needs as many "classy" points as he can get. Again, it would have taken 10 minutes. Suck it up, call the kid, and you don't have to worry about a rival GM spreading more of this Brown-is-not-only-dirty-but-classless-too nonsense.

Wow. Brown has a rep for being a diver, not a dirty checker. He has no reason to call anyone for something he didn't do wrong.

Just because some stupid GM makes a butt hurt comment about a phone call is not going to change anything that happens in future games. Hes only been suspended one time. He doesn't and will not have a rep such as torres or carcillo for his hitting, just the diving.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I kind of tend to agree with Ukyo here. Wilson is just taking a chance to publicly tarnish Brown's rep even more. Smart, if dirty, move, because obviously there's very little comparable between his incident with Gordie ****ing Howe, Torres/Stoll incident, and this one. Brown has one of the largest microscopes on him in the league now, and I tend to agree that past-Brown would have just absolutely annihilated Hertl instead of trying to bail, ironically probably to less damage. He's really damned if he does, damned if he doesn't at this point.

Still makes me despise Wilson more :P

Brown of the past would not have drilled him. He doesn't do nor is he known for late hits.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
refs already have a good idea of what kind of player brown is. he's been in the league long enough that refs dont have to listen to what a whiney GM thinks of him. he needs to "suck it up" and call the kid? your starting to sound like doug wilson.

Yes, they do, and I don't want that reputation getting any worse. It wasn't that long ago that Brown had a rep as being one of the squeakiest clean hitters in the league. Now he's a "diver" and he's starting to get the "dirty" label too.

Yes, suck it up. I don't get what the problem is in calling a guy you injured (even if it is part of the game). What, are Brown's core principles being broken? This isn't to placate Wilson or butt-hurt Sharks fans. I'd rather Brown spend ten minutes of his time reciting a canned condolences message now than spend two minutes in the box come playoff time just because some ref was swayed by what Wilson said.

Right, as if Wilson wouldn't come out after an apology and question why DB was calling if it wasn't a suspendable hit ...

It's a no win situation with these whiners.

Not the point. I don't care about an apology from Wilson. I do care about a ref sitting at home watching this whole debacle thinking, hmm, maybe Wilson is right, Brown IS a dirty/classless guy. And then having that turn a 50/50 call into a 55/45 one in the playoffs. That may not happen, it may be that the refs collectively don't care. But I doubt that, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Sorry guys, even in hockey, PR matters whether we like it or not. Referees are human too, and they are subject to public opinion, editorial, and advertisements, just like the rest of us.

Wow. Brown has a rep for being a diver, not a dirty checker. He has no reason to call anyone for something he didn't do wrong.

Just because some stupid GM makes a butt hurt comment about a phone call is not going to change anything that happens in future games. Hes only been suspended one time. He doesn't and will not have a rep such as torres or carcillo for his hitting, just the diving.

I HOPE you're right, but I think you're wrong. I think it's already happening. And if you're wrong, it means the Kings will pay for this on the ice.

Brown of the past would not have drilled him. He doesn't do nor is he known for late hits.

He absolutely would have. And it would have turned out just fine because it was obvious Hertl was bracing for the hit. At worst it would have been a penalty, but I would have taken that to see the Sharks' prized rookie get laid out.

If you don't think he's known for late hits, go see the recent Brown threads on the main board. He may not have already solidified his reputation as a dirty/late hitter, but it's getting there.

Captain Mittens*

did your inferiority complex bring you to this thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad