Player Discussion Six Years Later

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hey it’s July. It’s fun to look back at the ‘future stars’ who didn’t actually become stars and a few who outperformed. As Bangers said, his predictions don’t matter, this is more of a reality check of how we saw/see prospects. Thankfully Bangers is good with playing slong with this. Maybe you can too. Cheers.

Do you have any predictions of your own from the past, that you'd like to share with us?

Reactions: Aerrol

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I was convinced Yakupov was Ovechkin-lite
Thought Schultz would be what Barrie is now... and he pretty much is, just not for us.
Always knew that the 76 point season was the peak for Eberle, I wanted to trade him after that, nobody agreed.
Always knew Hallsy had Hart potential. Always stood by my stance and still do that he is the best player from the 2010 draft.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was convinced Yakupov was Ovechkin-lite
Thought Schultz would be what Barrie is now... and he pretty much is, just not for us.
Always knew that the 76 point season was the peak for Eberle, I wanted to trade him after that, nobody agreed.
Always knew Hallsy had Hart potential. Always stood by my stance and still do that he is the best player from the 2010 draft.

I bought into the hype about Yak. Thought he would be a consistent 40 goal man for us. Hard to blame the Oil for drafting him, as he was ranked #1 in most polls, the fans in general bought into the hype and everyone was pretty jacked when we got him. Just bad luck that we had the #1 pick in that draft and not one of the other drafts.
I thought Schulz was going to be really good, and he seemed on his way that first shortened year with Kruger as his coach. But once Eakins entered, he fell off the map, lost his confidence, and never got it back until he arrived in Pittsburgh.
I thought Eberle could hit 80 + points at least a couple times, but no go. However, if he continues to play with Barzal, you never know.
And I too thought Hall would be a thoroughbred. Just from watching him take over in the Memorial Cup two years in a row made me believe this guy would be something special if he ever got the chance to go to the dance. In hindsight, I prefer Seguin. Not dissing Hall, but I like what Seguin brings to the skill table. Has a lethal shot and a great playmaker, and a centre to boot.

Last edited:

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Do you have any predictions of your own from the past, that you'd like to share with us?
I don’t have any in writing but I’m sure they were more optimistic than this, which of course means I was further off base on most players. I’ve become a little more guarded/jaded in assessing the prospects going forward.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
50 goals from Yakupov? Wow. Well my prediction for him was much better: only a 30-40 goal winger.

Okay we both missed that one badly...

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, that's a head-spinner. Almost reminds me of that thread last summer with all the "high"lights of the decade of darkness. (That was the best thread, ever.)

I have to give myself some credit, here. With Hall, everyone could see he had great potential, so it's no surprise he became a high-scoring winger. I never would have thought he'd be a Hart winner, however (although he is so only by virtue of McDavid missing the playoffs, Kucherov not getting enough credit, and MacKinnon missing some key games).

Eberle I liked in his one or two really strong seasons, but his limitations were also evident. I certainly didn't think he'd ever be a 90+ point scorer. I do think he's fallen a bit off from where he should now be, though. But I never really thought he'd be a star.

Schultz, to me, is a leopard who will yet show his true spots. The physical abilities were always evident in Edmonton, but the problem was his mental head-space. Being on a Cup contender has obviously forced him to 'think' smarter and be more in control of his decisions on the ice (doesn't hurt when you have a veteran team with stars to cover your mistakes). But I think the day is coming when his limitations will become very evident.

Yakupov I never liked (as a player). Honestly, I could tell you from his first season that he didn't have it -- and that was his peak!

I dunno, Edmonton from 2006 to 2015 or so was a weird place. I never thought we'd see the day when the once-proud Oilers had a revolving door of coaches, ensuring lack of team identity and poor development of young players. But we sure did.

Reactions: Speedo

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Not unrelated, what do you all think about TSN’s ‘experts’ take on these guys going forward from 2012?
upload_2018-7-23_23-6-25.jpeg

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Honestly I don't think anyone with out the aid of a crystal ball could have predicted how bad Yakupov would be.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Right from the start, I had had reservations about Eberle and Schultz. I always felt that they needed to be insulated and werent going to be true big game players.
However, I thought that Yak was going to be a 40 goal scorer who was going to be physical, as well. I thought Petry would become a decent first pairing D-man.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I joined this board years ago as you can see. I’ve been here for quite a few waves of “new guys”. Schremp wave to the Robert Nilsson, Cogliano and Gagner wave. The Eberle, Hall and MPS wave after that. Every single wave has had incredible projections for the heights these guys would carry our team to and the only one that has ever held any truth was the last and final wave featuring McDavid and Drai.

There was also little random blurbs about the ability of a potential late steal we would all get excited about (currently mine is Maksimov). They hardly ever pan out. Omark was one, Lander was one, Teemu was one- I remember the hype about Slava Trukno. That was hilarious. Taylor Chroney as well.

Then there’s the posters who are convinced every one is over hyping the prospects and tend to go in the other direction. @McJadeddog is one who seems was right on the money again with Pulju. (Couldn’t have been more wrong about McDavid, though). I remember he was bashed a ton for being pessimistic and he’s always been mostly right about us being too optimistic.

The thing about Oiler prospects from the last decade, if your pessimistic rather then optimistic you would be right about 99% of the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad