Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_19-50-21.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-2_19-50-21.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Boy were some of those predictions on the positive side, hey? Mostly correct for the AHL predicted players though! And LOL at Marincin potentially being a top pairing d-man for his upside. I don't think I have ever seen him play like that !

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Wonder how that sure things list would be different if Tom Renney wasn't canned for not gifting them enough minutes. Might have even skipped the Eakins train wreak all together.

Reactions: nabob and Summary

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hey! I don't think I did that bad (considering most players did end up somewhere between their upside and downside) - my list was more about the type of player they were projected to be rather than an expectation of where they would end up. I think a bigger question is why so many of the top tier prospects failed to meet their upside.

Nuge - downside. He's not elite, but he's still a #1 C on about a third of the teams in the NHL.
Hall - met upside. One of the few.
Eberle - Ok, I was off, but let's remember that he was coming off a 76 point season that year as a 22 year old.
Yakupov - flubbed that one, but so did most people.
Petry - somewhere between upside and downside.
Gagner - somewhere between upside and downside.

Schultz - aside from misspelling his name, he's more or less met his upside (unfortunately, it's been with the Penguins)
Paajarvi - didn't go back to Sweden, but slightly above his downside.
Lander - couldn't quite make it, but I still maintain he would have been better had Todd Nelson been retained.
Hartikainen - went back to Russia, but was a tweener before he left, so I assume he'd still be one if he stayed in NA.

Most of the 'good prospects' ended up on the downside (not making the NHL), only Marincin, Reider and Pitlick ended up somewhere between. The reason I rated Marincin so highly was because he was a big D with good skating who had scored almost a point per game in the WHL.

Davidson was the only one out of the last group to end up an NHL regular.

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Hey! I don't think I did that bad (considering most players did end up somewhere between their upside and downside) - my list was more about the type of player they were projected to be rather than an expectation of where they would end up. I think a bigger question is why so many of the top tier prospects failed to meet their upside.

Nuge - downside. He's not elite, but he's still a #1 C on about a third of the teams in the NHL.
Eberle - Ok, I was off, but let's remember that he was coming off a 76 point season that year as a 22 year old.

Schultz - aside from misspelling his name, he's more or less met his upside (unfortunately, it's been with the Penguins)
Lander - couldn't quite make it, but I still maintain he would have been better had Todd Nelson been retained.
Hartikainen - went back to Russia, but was a tweener before he left, so I assume he'd still be one if he stayed in NA.

Most of the 'good prospects' ended up on the downside (not making the NHL), only Marincin, Reider and Pitlick ended up somewhere between. The reason I rated Marincin so highly was because he was a big D with good skating who had scored almost a point per game in the WHL.

Thanks for your reply to this. I apologize for not tracking you down and showing you your predictions. My internet skills are severely lacking. This posting wasn’t meant as as ‘check this guy out’ but more of a ‘he shoulda been more right than the results show’. Thanks for playing along.

Reactions: Aerrol

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

also Khaira.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
It's funny hearing people say "this crop of prospects will be different" every two years.

I joined this board years ago as you can see. I’ve been here for quite a few waves of “new guys”. Schremp wave to the Robert Nilsson, Cogliano and Gagner wave. The Eberle, Hall and MPS wave after that. Every single wave has had incredible projections for the heights these guys would carry our team to and the only one that has ever held any truth was the last and final wave featuring McDavid and Drai.

There was also little random blurbs about the ability of a potential late steal we would all get excited about (currently mine is Maksimov). They hardly ever pan out. Omark was one, Lander was one, Teemu was one- I remember the hype about Slava Trukno. That was hilarious. Taylor Chroney as well.

Then there’s the posters who are convinced every one is over hyping the prospects and tend to go in the other direction. @McJadeddog is one who seems was right on the money again with Pulju. (Couldn’t have been more wrong about McDavid, though). I remember he was bashed a ton for being pessimistic and he’s always been mostly right about us being too optimistic.

Last edited:

Speedo

Mar 14, 2005
Who's Bangers? And why do his predictions matter?
Hey it’s July. It’s fun to look back at the ‘future stars’ who didn’t actually become stars and a few who outperformed. As Bangers said, his predictions don’t matter, this is more of a reality check of how we saw/see prospects. Thankfully Bangers is good with playing slong with this. Maybe you can too. Cheers.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I probably had similar projections to you for your top list. I had almost no faith in our prospects though at that point. I thought for sure Yak would be an elite goal scorer after his first year.

Even now the prospects I have a good feeling about are basically Skinner, Bear, Bouchard, McLeod, and Yamamoto. Benson gives me a good vibe too despite his injury woes.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Obviously overly optimistic, but I don't think his predictions are THAT insane. You have to keep in mind that scoring was way higher when he made those predictions as the league actually called obstruction then. A 100pt prediction then is like a 85-90 pt prediction now - and I see/have seen tonnes of predictions that Pulju and Yamamoto will get in that range at their peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->